WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I would think the number one reason hostels get stiffed is because in order to keep the costs low there's no hired help, or a volunteer willing to stand guard 18 hours a day and collect from deadbeats.

Once you hire someone as a caretaker, it then it becomes a regular business, salaries paid, prices raised and against the original intent of providing low cost housing to hikers. It's just easier to slap up a sign, put up a jar, and hope for the best.

Here's what the Companion says on the subject. I would think the AT Guide has similar language

DONATIONS
    Many hostels listed in this book suggest donations for the services provided. This means that the
    service should not be considered a gift or that it costs the provider nothing. The honor system of
    the Trail requires that you leave something.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I would think the number one reason hostels get stiffed is because in order to keep the costs low there's no hired help, or a volunteer willing to stand guard 18 hours a day and collect from deadbeats.

Once you hire someone as a caretaker, it then it becomes a regular business, salaries paid, prices raised and against the original intent of providing low cost housing to hikers. It's just easier to slap up a sign, put up a jar, and hope for the best.

Here's what the Companion says on the subject. I would think the AT Guide has similar language
    Leave no trace takes on new meaning
    Cheap bastards!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++