WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default favorite light weight pocket knife w/scissors?

Anyone have any suggestions on a lightweight pocket knife with a pair of small scissors? I know the obvious answer is the swiss army knife, but I'm always afraid of cutting myself with no locking blade. Is there a similar product out there that as just as light and compact?

Leatherman Style Pocket Knife. There is also a multi tool variant, but the pocket knife weights in at 0.82oz.

The chances of a SAK folding in normal use are tiny. Unless, of course, you will be stabbing something with a 1 1/2" blade.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

I carry the smallest SAK. Scissors, tiny knife blade, file, toothpick, tweezers. I don't worry about the blade folding because it's so small I'm unlikely to try stabbing something with it
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

haha, I guess you all have a good point about the blade folding...and I don't plan on stabbing anyone. Thanks

Can't help you with the locking blade idea. I have a SAK Ambassador. It is essentially the same as the Classic, but slightly larger. I was going to get the Classic, but I found the scissors too small for my liking. The scissors on the Ambassador are large enough to make me happy, but still smaller than the most common full sized SAKs.

Journal Entries

Leather man style is a good little knife. It has one of the sharpest blades your going to find on a production knife. Its flat on one side, like a razor blade.

The tweezers on this and a tiny SAK are worthless, the cannot grip hard enough to pull a tick, so pretend they aren't there.

Leatherman Micra

Journal Entries
    Images

Leather man over Swiss (Sharper- stronger steel - bigger pins) better pizza....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    Leatherman Style Pocket Knife. There is also a multi tool variant, but the pocket knife weights in at 0.82oz.
    http://www.campmor.com/Product___81248
    Blackheart

I have the "Portable Small Folding Pocket Scissors" you can see on eBay: sharp, blades have a fine point, easy to cut moleskin.

I don't have a small folding knife, right now. I have looked at the knives, at the other thread.

The fact is, I almost never need a knife for backpacking. I use a little Zip-It razor blade in a plastic holder to open packaged food.

+1 for the Leatherman Style CS, I love mine. 1.4 oz. and around the size of a standard Bic lighter is nice and compact. I always carry it in the pack and frequently on my keychain when I'm not wearing my full size work Leatherman, don't even notice it's there when used this way. The knife and scissors are both very sharp and frequently used, the file/screwdriver is nice too and the clip doubles as a bottle opener, always handy to have. My one single gripe about the tool is the two little holes drilled in the knife blade, which are completely cosmetic as far as I can tell. They do a great job of filling with whatever food you're cutting, such as cheese or pepperoni, and need something around the size of a pine needle to pick them clean.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I've carried a gerber paraframe pocket knife for 5 years. It's been entirely adequate.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gerber-Min...Knife/16523863.
    Before that I carried a 4 in Frost sheath knife one year (too big) and a home made hacksaw blade knife (had to pack it and couldn't access easily enough)
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Leather man style is a good little knife. It has one of the sharpest blades your going to find on a production knife. Its flat on one side, like a razor blade.

The tweezers on this and a tiny SAK are worthless, the cannot grip hard enough to pull a tick, so pretend they aren't there.
    I once e-mailed the SAK people about their useless tweezers. Copied them a link about tick removal and how important this is. I would think if they could make a pointed tip tweezer, they would sell a lot of knives. I have one of those plastic tick removal tools in my FAK. Nothing weighs nothing, but that is pretty close.

have owned a buch of kinves, different brands, different shapes, different blade materials, many of them failed for different reasons. My experiences with knives have shaped my opinions. A quality knife that suites your personal needs is one to hold on to wether it be 'stainless' or carbon steel. I have a D-2 steel folder https://mechanicguides.com/best-pock...for-whittling/ that I have carried for 20 years. The blade has been resharpened perhaps 100 times and has gotten a bit thin in the process, it looks like it has been through a couple of wars, dang ugly, but I would not trade it because it works. A knife is a tool, a good tool is worth it's weight in gold when you need it. I have had the best success with quality carbon steel blades hence my devotion to them, but I am not an ultimate authority, just a man with an opinion. Just remember, everything on a knife can be repaired or replaced,except the blade, the blade is the heart of every knife.

I carry the Leatherman Squirt PS4. It checked all my boxes... Knife, pliers, scissors, screwdriver. And it weighs in at 2 oz

https://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-Sq.../dp/B0032Y2OT6

I use the SAK Classic. The two tools I rely on are the toothpick and the scissors. I have very thick strong nails, and the scissors work well even on the nails of my big toes.
    BTW, I have used the tweezers very successfully to pull engorged ticks out of dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Traillium View Post
    I use the SAK Classic. The two tools I rely on are the toothpick and the scissors. I have very thick strong nails, and the scissors work well even on the nails of my big toes.
    BTW, I have used the tweezers very successfully to pull engorged ticks out of dogs.
    Works taking ticks of of oneself, as well, as I sadly learned.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I find the SAK
    Classic scissors are a little flimsy. Scissors are as important as the blade for my uses. I prefer the leatherman style CS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++