WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: battered

Journal Entries
    Images

Default battered

OK. Two replaced hips (twice each), one replaced shoulder (twice with revision being reverse), one fused back from T-10 to S-1 with hardware, two thumbs totally shot, two ankles needing fused, and a cervical spine that presses against the spinal cord- all from being active duty Army for 24 years. My wife and I want to thru-hike the AT in 2016 with no more than 30 pounds on what is left of my back. I very much wish to do this and am will to take the inevitable degrading of the artificial and natural joints. The question to all you experienced hikers (I day hike- up to 12 miles in the Smokey Mountains- using pretty potent pain meds) is this....

Is it even possible- given determination and pain meds and a slower pace- for this battered 60 year old to do this or am I just going to waste time/money? Just your non-attribution opinion if it is even possible

Thanks for your time.
    Eric

Journal Entries

No one can determine your limits but you. Given your description, it does sound like a thru-hike may be a bit too ambitious, especially if you're using "potent pain meds" for a day hike. Maybe you could do some section hiking and see how your body holds up.
    Best of luck to you.

Maybe section hike a month at a time during mild weather months to reduce your load, plan ahead and schedule days to give yourself a break and finish the trail over a couple years ..... Complete it at 62

Images

Both of you guys will need to get in very good shape. People like to think the trail is a good place to "get active," but most will overdo it and injure themselves. In addition to a full day on your feet, the trail doesn't provide the same rest and nutrition you can find at home, usually landing the hiker in various motels/hostels along the trail without much desire to keep hiking. So, if you enjoy walking, get some shakedown overnight hikes with a comfortable sleeping pad/pillow, and sleeping bag. Buildup to exercising a lil more everyday, because the trail never seems to quit. PS thru-hiking is overrated so don't put all your eggs in that basket..."being outdoors" is a healthier mindset. GL
    See ya when I get there.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I don't know if you can complete a thru but you won't know unless you try. If you don't try it sounds like you might regret it.

It's not a waste of time and money if you only do part of the trail. Enjoy the time hiking and go as far as you can go.

I'm routing for you either way and thanks for your service!

Keep us posted.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

If you were to try a thru hike I would suggest a support vehicle to make things easier. Maybe take you to a motel every night or two, or at least re-supply/slackpack daily (or as ften as possible) to lighten the load. I have no particular disability and that's how I'd do it if I could. I believe there have been one or two books written by people who did the AT in this fashion.

So the big question is what would you be doing if you didn't go on a thru hike. Maybe what sit around and watch NCIS all day or wheel of fortune. It's never a waste of time or money to go out in the woods and walk. You can easily thru hike the trail just doing 10 miles a day all you got to do is flip flop in Harpers. One of the reasons why more southbound complete the trail is because a lot of them take upwards of eight months to do it. I wouldn't worry about it you have a better chance of completing then most people

I think that it makes sense to do several shorter thru hikes before considering a long trail. That has been my approach, both to ensure that I am physically capable and that I will actually like hiking for months at a time. I feel physically capable and at the end of my last hike (Colorado Trail), I felt like doing a yo-yo or going to California to hike the JMT - although I couldn't make that happen - so, that's why I feel like I have a shot at a PCT thru hike next year. I wouldn't have any confidence if I hadn't done a month long hike already.

Quote Originally Posted by ericmack View Post
    ... am I just going to waste time/money? ...
    Given that it is your own time and money, spend it however it will bring you the most joy. If you were unable to complete a thru-hike, would you consider the time and money spent on the attempt to be wasted?

Realistically, I doubt you'd get far. Before you commit to a thru hike, definitely do some much shorter trips. Start with an easy overnight-er and if that goes well, try a longer trip with a couple of nights on the trail.

But even before you do that, get a typical hiker sleeping pad (an air mattress type like a neo-air would probably be best for you) and see if you can sleep on it on the floor in your house. If you can't get a comfortable nights rest on that, your already in trouble.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

This is a question for the pros, ask your surgeons. Anything you want to do is worth trying. I like the above comment about a support vehicle. Bring a stretcher in case you have to be carried out. And yes start small, day hikes, weekends, week long hikes. Find out your capacities.
    Certainly a physically therapist/sports trainer. I wish you the best.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks to all the suggestions. I am very active- work out at gym for an hour a day on cardio and we hike in mountains about twice a month. But your assessments are very helpful and already have given me some ideas. We are planning - if I am capable- of hiking a "mock" 4-5 day trail hike in Smokey Mountains in the spring. But the idea of just trying a day or so is a good one.

Again- thanks to all for your kind replies.
    Eric

If you have a partner and car , slackpacking and keyswapping is going to reduce the wear and tear substantially

Images

Just go for it, I would suggest you bring a car or truck along to hop up along the trail. The car gives you many options. I would also suggest you not hike with pain meds as you can do severe damage to other areas without knowing it is happening as the pain is being masked. After a day in the field, take them but not while hiking. Do not get in a hurry, shelter to shelter is good. You cannot undo once you overdo it, so just do not shoot for over 10 miles a day, period. By all means do not carry a pack over 20-25 lbs. Keep it short and light and keep going. Do not worry about going south to north just pick the best route whatever direction. Enjoy the time in the forest and take your time.

I say go for it. Use common sense, but give it a shot.

I am also fairly busted up and have found hiking to be therapeutic. Lightweight is the key for me. Go as light as possible and hike as far as you can.

Enjoy!

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Consider hammocking for the sake of your battered body.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Journal Entries

I'm sure you can do it.
    If you want to bad enough.
    A blind man did it. Small children have done it.

Have you considered Warren Doyle's group? The basically slackpack the trail. Google warren Doyle Appalachian trail expedition 2015 to see what its about.

I wouldn't carry more than 25 lb at any time and I don't have your issues. Hiking is always more pleasant with less weight carried.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 11-14-2014 at 22:17.

Sounds like you jumped out of too many perfectly good airplanes!
    Lots of good advice already given. I have a titanium hip....compliments of Uncle Sugar and the Army. I attempted a thru in 2013 at the age of 62. Made it to Pennsylvania and had to quit due to a knee
    injury. It's replaced and I'm planning PA.to Maine this year. Give it a go. Unlike the Army you can stop hiking and go home anytime you want to.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ericmack View Post
    OK. Two replaced hips (twice each), one replaced shoulder (twice with revision being reverse), one fused back from T-10 to S-1 with hardware, two thumbs totally shot, two ankles needing fused, and a cervical spine that presses against the spinal cord- all from being active duty Army for 24 years. My wife and I want to thru-hike the AT in 2016 with no more than 30 pounds on what is left of my back. I very much wish to do this and am will to take the inevitable degrading of the artificial and natural joints. The question to all you experienced hikers (I day hike- up to 12 miles in the Smokey Mountains- using pretty potent pain meds) is this....

Is it even possible- given determination and pain meds and a slower pace- for this battered 60 year old to do this or am I just going to waste time/money? Just your non-attribution opinion if it is even possible

Thanks for your time.
    Eric
    First of all, thank you for your service! What did you do if you don't mind me asking?

The only way to know if you can hike long distances in the mountains is to hike long distances in the mountains. As others have said, it won't be a waste whether you make it 20 miles or 200 miles or 2000. Prepare the best you can, take your time, and don't be scared to to periodically postpone your hike if needed. 1 month here, 1 month there, and you'll be done in no time....and wishing it hadn't ended.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

On my 2012 thru I ran into a couple we called the Kiwis, they were a husband and wife from New Zealand. They were both in their 80s and on a good day doing roughly 12 miles.
    There's no reward at the end for the most miserable thru-hiker.
    After gear you can do a thru for $2,000.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++