WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

One of the benefits of hiking in June is the GMC caretakers (the past couple of years) do not start until the July 4th weekend.

No caretaker means no one to collect the $5 !!! However, no caretaker also means no one is maintaining the privy's.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Overall- Vermont is one of the finest states around.
    You could easily do the LT on little or no money as a fairly wilderness experience for an established trail.
    You could easily do a European/Camino esque trip and spend weeks visiting the eclectic towns, artisan shops, and consuming some of the finest meat, cheese, beer and cuisine in the country.
    Totally agree on all points. We loved Vermont, and did something close to your second hike. It was terrific. But the trail itself, not so much
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TheWildMoose View Post
    Hey everyone! I hope every has had a great weekend so far. This summer, my best friend and I plan on doing our first major thru-hike, and we figured the Long Trail would be a perfect for us. Somewhat close to home, and completable within a month.

With that being said, I just have a few questions I could really use answers for!

- What is the estimated cost for this trip? I am sure we might stop at a restaurant/hostel(s) along the way at some point. We already have all of our gear. Bring at least 700 dollars.

- Any tips or things to look out for while on the journey? Get the Long Trail Guide. Do not hesitate to take by pass trails in bad weather. If you go Southbound it will be a lot simpler to get home after hike. Work out for a good six weeks. In Northern Sections do not be in a rush and be mindful of water sources. Might want to give Jen at the visitor Center a call she is usually up to date on conditions or can direct you to who is. Join the GMC. As was said earlier discussion with site caretakers can be helpful. Long Trail Inn can't be missed. Manchester Center is a nice place to take a zero.

- When is the best time to take on the Long Trail? We were thinking early June. IMHO- August

- What was your experience on the Long Trail? Its a spiritual experience. Take it a day at a time.

Thanks everyone! I really look forward to your answers and advice. I'm getting excited to begin planning for this trip!

Cheers!
    Austin B
    Have fun. Hope the weather is clear. Stay dry.

I hiked northbound in August this year and the weather was good, especially in the first half of the month, and the bugs weren't too bad. I spent about 14 nights on the trail and 7 in towns, but I lucked out on accommodation costs and my most expensive nights were in Waitsfield ($35/night including breakfast). I did spend a lot of money on Vermont beers throughout the state though. Overall I probably spent less than $400 on the whole trip since I hitchhiked/took buses, stayed in some kind strangers' homes, shared rooms with other hikers, and didn't have to replace any gear.

You can set up your tent for free across the street from the Inn at Long Trail and blow your savings at the bar. Just be VERY careful crossing the street there (I would not recommend trying it drunk). I saw a woman get hit by a car while running across the street in daylight; can't imagine how much more dangerous it is in the dark.

As mentioned above, the mice on the southern part of the trail are beasts. They chewed through my hipbelt pocket to get at an empty wrapper (my fault for forgetting about it) and kept me awake at night until I switched to using my tent.

+1 on carrying the lightest pack possible (I didn't carry a stove/cookset but I did have three wonderful pairs of socks) and using poles -- I still have a scar on my knee from one bad fall just north of Appalachian Gap (which also bent my pole) but my poles saved me many times.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++