WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Topo Map App

Default Topo Map App

I have the Topo Map app for my iPhone. I think it is great. Recently I got an iPad. I see that there is a Topo Map app that is separate from the iPhone app. Does anyone have any experience with this app. Do I need to buy the iPad app or will the iPhone version work as well.

I would never consider carrying an ipad on the trail so I'd recommend against getting any app for the ipad. I've used several hiking/gps apps on my phone (e.g. Guthooks, Geotrek, etc) and always found the phone to be satisfactory.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Havana View Post
    I would never consider carrying an ipad on the trail so I'd recommend against getting any app for the ipad. I've used several hiking/gps apps on my phone (e.g. Guthooks, Geotrek, etc) and always found the phone to be satisfactory.
    A topo app on the tablet might be OK if you use the tablet for planning. (I use BackCountry Navigator on my smartphone, and do my own maps for it. I don't bring a tablet on the trail, either.)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I've used my iPad on some hikes around here and it's great. The big screen is way better than the tiny screen of a phone - you can really see what you're looking at.

OTOH, I'd rather have my front teeth pulled than carry it on a long hike (well.. maybe not but you know).

p.s. Get a LifeProof case for it before you launch off into the wilderness.

++ New Posts ++