WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How many "Bear Mountains"?

I went out this weekend in CT and went over Bear Mountain. Then I know there is another Bear Mountain in NY and I believe another down south somewhere. On the trail, how many times do you climb Bear Mountain?

And on a related note, why are people who name mountains so unimaginative?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jred321 View Post
    Just like in the southern half of the trail there are so many Low Gaps, Deep Gaps, Sassafras Gaps, etc.
    Frankenstein - 2014 GAME
    www.trailjournals.com/kylezontheat

Journal Entries

I live in VT. The AT & LT are combined were they pass thru our town. I walk that trail a lot. One of the mountains is named Bear Mountain for a very good reason. My wife and I have seen and heard evidence of bears on more than 1 occasion. Most would probably recognize bear 'scat'. How many have heard a bear snap their jaw ? They chomp their teeth to let you know, "Don't come any closer ". We saw a pretty good sized bear this summer. They just gave us a look and continued on their way.

Quote Originally Posted by Koozy View Post
    Just like in the southern half of the trail there are so many Low Gaps, Deep Gaps, Sassafras Gaps, etc.
    I wonder what the most commonly named thing is on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgrabo View Post
    I live in VT. The AT & LT are combined were they pass thru our town. I walk that trail a lot. One of the mountains is named Bear Mountain for a very good reason. My wife and I have seen and heard evidence of bears on more than 1 occasion. Most would probably recognize bear 'scat'. How many have heard a bear snap their jaw ? They chomp their teeth to let you know, "Don't come any closer ". We saw a pretty good sized bear this summer. They just gave us a look and continued on their way.
    Well that's another one. Maybe it's easier to name the states that don't have a Bear Mountain

The bear mountains in CT and NY are all that I know of the AT crosses, but there may be others.

In the Eastern US, a lot of the territory was originally settled independently from other colonies. As the area around these colonies expanded, new settlements, mountains, lakes, or other features were frequently named after native land places or local animals and indian names. This happened without other colonies being aware of any duplications, so we have several Middletowns around the US named for their UK counterpart cities. Bears being a common animal in the Appalachians, I am surprised there are not more than there seem to be.

Images

Vermont.....just past Little rock Pond

Confirmed in AWOL's 2014 NOBO guide. Mile 1675.0. Anybody have the PDF version and want to do a CTRL-F?

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Vermont.....just past Little rock Pond
    Yep, I remember it. It was one of those &^%$$# moments because I was carrying a 12 year old map, and Bear Mtn. wasn't on my map.

In MI, just about every other lake is called Bass Lake. Only could find one Bear Mtn, unless Sleeping Bear Dune also counts.

Images

Lots of Bear Mountains in Colorado too. I wonder if these are the same people that keep naming lakes "Mirror Lake" ?

They can't all be Big Butt Mtn.

I wonder what the most commonly named thing is on the trail.

Well that's another one. Maybe it's easier to name the states that don't have a Bear Mountain
    Florida?
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

If memory serves, and it may not, there are also several Bluff Mountains and Brushy Mountains in Virginia.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    The bear mountains in CT and NY are all that I know of the AT crosses, but there may be others.

In the Eastern US, a lot of the territory was originally settled independently from other colonies. As the area around these colonies expanded, new settlements, mountains, lakes, or other features were frequently named after native land places or local animals and indian names. This happened without other colonies being aware of any duplications, so we have several Middletowns around the US named for their UK counterpart cities. Bears being a common animal in the Appalachians, I am surprised there are not more than there seem to be.
    In addition to this, remember that most of these places were named during a time when the only forms of transportation were walking or using a horse/pack animal, and when most people would only travel a relatively short distance (by today's standards) from their homes during their lifetime. Did it really matter to them that there was another bear mountain or deep gap in the next state over when the average person wouldn't be expected to ever travel that far?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

As I recall, Maine has 2 Moxie Ponds.

The Colorado Trail has 2 separate Pine Creeks.

Default Brushy Mountain(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    If memory serves, and it may not, there are also several Bluff Mountains and Brushy Mountains in Virginia.
    There are at least 4 Brushy Mountains within line of sight of Garden Mountain, VA.

AO

Images

there also seems to be a good amount of "Pine Knob"s too. At least in CT. And many other variations - Pine Hill, Pine Mountain, etc.

I've long last track of how many Bear this or Bear that I've come across while hiking.

I could give you a few more associated with hiking: highline, sky, Moose, Big, ...............

Actually, those who name mountains are imaginative. And, if someone comes along more imaginative, and influential, they'll rename a mountain on ocassion. Hence, Denali becomes McKinley.

So to get the highest peak on the continent named after you, you need to become President, win some wars, do other good things for the country, and then get assassinated. What does one need to do to get one of these little unimaginatively named mountains after them?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++