WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mike Evans of Front Royal was a no show for shuttle

Here is a special shoutout to Mike Evans of Front Royal, VA for being a no show on the shuttle that we arranged for Oct 10th

I called Mike about a month ahead of time and arranged everything. He quoted the shuttle at 140 which I thought was reasonable and told him to mark me down. I waited until 7 days before my trip, and followed up with everyone I had spoken with Hostels, shuttler and Mail drop (one of the hostel owners), and Mike Evans was the only one that NEVER even returned the phone call or email to cancel, just poofed into nothing.

Thankfully a good man by the name Mark "strings" stepped up and offered his services. I was informed along my trip by locals that Mike Evans Charges 240 for the trip that he had quoted for 140. So my first guess is that he later saw that he had made a mistake in quoting and instead of contacting me about it, just blocked my number and ignored emails. If he had just called me to talk about it, he could have saved a little reputation and just canceled but instead he left me out to dry. If I had not called to follow up I would have found myself standing on skyline drive, 120 Miles from the start of my trip with my trekking poles up my ars!

In the end it worked out, Big shout out to strings, who gave us the ride for $100 ($1 a mile) and had alot of great conversation for the ride. Thanks Mark, and for Mike...Tisk Tisk
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

If I tried to repeated tried to contact a shuttle with no response I would be quickly looking for another shuttle...it is good to know that you ant rely on some

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    If I tried to repeated tried to contact a shuttle with no response I would be quickly looking for another shuttle...it is good to know that you ant rely on some
    Agreed......shout out to Donna @ Cabin in the woods!!!! Had schedule change while out last week....had to cut out wed morn from NOC....had planned on pick up by her at dam but work apt rescheduled....quick 2days better than none.....very promp and nice.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

If you had not called to follow up, you would have been a fool.

Standard is to reconfirm a few days out, then day before, and even when enroute. A shuttler doesn't want a no show anymore than you do.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

We request every shuttle we book to confirm within 48 hours of scheduled meet time. If we don't hear from the hiker(s) we call, email, and text them.

When I book a shuttle for myself I confirm 2 days before and if travel is involved the night before. For example, for our Fontana shuttle I confirmed with Ron 2 days before we were scheduled to meet and then the night before I told him we were in Robbinsville and would be at the dam at 6:30 on schedule.

Journal Entries

The trail did provide

Images

Word of mouth and hitch=hiking have sure served me well at times, but if in doubt, just check the ATC website for shuttles in your area of interest...

On our 2011 Colorado Trail thruhike, our shuttler failed to show up at the appointed time at Spring Creek Pass where we had completed a slackpack from Creede. Our cell phone didn't work so we resorted to hitchhiking 33 miles back to Creede. We made it and while at the restaurant, the would-be shuttler found us and apologized profusely for "screwing up" (her words). She had taken an afternoon nap and overslept.

No worries - the next day, she was on time to shuttle us back to Spring Creek Pass where we resumed our SOBO hike.

Journal Entries

As one popular shuttle driver and hostel owner told me, he prefers to shuttle at start of trips as well. His vehicle could break down, have a family emergency, etc. He wouldn't want to leave someone on a roadside somewhere with no way to contact.

Default Mike Evans of Front Royal was a no show for shuttle

Not an excuse but mike has a flip phone. I noticed this when he was punctual for our pick up in Harpers Ferry around Labor Day. Strings is awesome. Hard to match his energy. Strings told us he will shuttle all the way to Big K if needed. He sounded like it was a dare so he could go hiking too!

Quote Originally Posted by tf bear View Post
    Not an excuse but mike has a flip phone. I noticed this when he was punctual for our pick up in Harpers Ferry around Labor Day. Strings is awesome. Hard to match his energy. Strings told us he will shuttle all the way to Big K if needed. He sounded like it was a dare so he could go hiking too!
    Thats Ecatly what it is! haha Strings loves the trail as much as anyone I have seen. He deserves a hostel and shuttle van/ lots of trail time, great dude. He was even honest enough to dock $20 bucks off our bill because he got the milage down to 97 miles.

What a gift that it worked out with the new guy!! Thanks for the shout out on the irresponsible one!

Images

I always confirm a shuttle a couple of days before (especially if it was first arranged much earlier. Then, like stated above, I confirm and touch base while en route. Saves a lot of questioning on both sides. Last minute circumstances can come up on either side, best to minimize the possibility of them being an issue as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I always confirm a shuttle a couple of days before (especially if it was first arranged much earlier. Then, like stated above, I confirm and touch base while en route. Saves a lot of questioning on both sides. Last minute circumstances can come up on either side, best to minimize the possibility of them being an issue as much as possible.
    +1 on this post. I've only had one clear cut no-show from a shuttler, and that was a long time ago for a three day section in Maine.

A more common issue is misunderstanding the exact meeting location, especially when either party has never been there before. A couple of summers ago I thought I'd been stood up for a shuttle connection in Jonesville, VT. It turned out that my shuttler and I had both been waiting just out of view of each other. A similar thing happened again this summer, further north on the Long Trail; this time it was a case of clearly defining the "trailhead" at which we were supposed to meet -- my shuttler and I were waiting for each other a couple hundred yards apart from one another.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    A more common issue is misunderstanding the exact meeting location, especially when either party has never been there before. A couple of summers ago I thought I'd been stood up for a shuttle connection in Jonesville, VT. It turned out that my shuttler and I had both been waiting just out of view of each other. A similar thing happened again this summer, further north on the Long Trail; this time it was a case of clearly defining the "trailhead" at which we were supposed to meet -- my shuttler and I were waiting for each other a couple hundred yards apart from one another.
    Heck, I've even had that happen with my wife! Fortunately, we were both in cell phone range at the trailhead. The trailhead where I was waiting had an unpaved parking lot, with an equally unpaved driveway going into it. My wife mistook the driveway for the start of the access trail, and was waiting patiently on the shoulder of the paved road for me to appear, while I was sitting on a rock at the end of the parking area, right next to the notice board and register box.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I stayed at Mike's hostel in 2011 and found him to be a gracious host who was willing to help hikers. He welcomed us into his one and offered to take us to town and back for no charge. I've never heard any complaints before this one. Just my experience.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

That same guy quoted me $120 for a shuttle that that Sharon's Shuttles did for $60. If you are in need of a shuttle in the Front Royal area, I highly recommend Sharon Johnson. She's listed in the ATC Shuttles List.

Journal Entries

its' not a good situation---but consider the notion of trying to always hike to your vehicle. being a shuttle provider, anyone can make a mistake--but this is the greatest failure a shuttle driver can commit to a hiker. i applaud your effort to diplomatically share your complaint with other hikers. as previously stated--the trail provides, in this case you're providing info to help those who wish to avoid a bad situation.

I always hike to my car, I gave Mike over a 2 WEEk headsup that I was still good to go, I tried for over the following week to contact him with out success through phone calls, email and text messages. He ignored all of them. Not bad mouthing him, but this is the reason that I tried to commit whiteblaze into starting a feedback system or even a shuttle/ hostel evaluation review system. No one was interested in it yet im pretty sure that everyone is grateful for the headsup of a bad experience. I would truly enjoy praising our shuttlers and hostel caretakers for their my great experiences. For example 10-K on here, talk about a great dude, and I would like to be able to applaud him, and many others like him, that have given me great memories and AT experiences. But I would also like to notify my whiteblaze family of shortfallins within the trail community.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcovee View Post
    That same guy quoted me $120 for a shuttle that that Sharon's Shuttles did for $60. If you are in need of a shuttle in the Front Royal area, I highly recommend Sharon Johnson. She's listed in the ATC Shuttles List.
    I have used the shuttle services of both.

Used Mike for a shuttle about 8 years ago for a pick up. He was early and there were no issues.

I also used the Johnson's for a shuttle, about six years ago. I do not know if this is currently the situation, but they were just finishing adding on loft accommodations in their home. I was invited to stay overnight before my shuttle and to breakfast too. (There may have been a small donation for breakfast, I don't remember.) Sharon even gave me fresh baked cookies. Super nice couple, her husband is a past club president and active in the PATC and I ATC.

I do not think the Johnson's do shuttles as a business, but rather greatly enjoy helping hikers. I think it is more of a business for Mike therefore the difference in prices is reflective of that.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++