Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 36 of 36
  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcovee View Post
    That same guy quoted me $120 for a shuttle that that Sharon's Shuttles did for $60. If you are in need of a shuttle in the Front Royal area, I highly recommend Sharon Johnson. She's listed in the ATC Shuttles List.

    +1...................

    Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

  2. #22
    GA-ME 2011
    Join Date
    03-17-2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Age
    63
    Posts
    3,071
    Images
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    I have used the shuttle services of both.

    Used Mike for a shuttle about 8 years ago for a pick up. He was early and there were no issues.

    I also used the Johnson's for a shuttle, about six years ago. I do not know if this is currently the situation, but they were just finishing adding on loft accommodations in their home. I was invited to stay overnight before my shuttle and to breakfast too. (There may have been a small donation for breakfast, I don't remember.) Sharon even gave me fresh baked cookies. Super nice couple, her husband is a past club president and active in the PATC and I ATC.

    I do not think the Johnson's do shuttles as a business, but rather greatly enjoy helping hikers. I think it is more of a business for Mike therefore the difference in prices is reflective of that.
    Last time I spoke with Sharon she offered me a place to stay in her garage loft which was finished for hikers. She also shuttled me twice and was always on time and reasonably priced.

    Not saying Gambit's criticism isn't valid but I've never heard of anyone complaining about Mike. Maybe it was a one time issue or an emergency. I'd like to hear his side, he's a member here maybe he'll reply.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

  3. #23
    Rain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-07-2003
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Age
    69
    Posts
    6,120
    Images
    620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    The trail did provide
    I gotta agree. Can't describe the amount of faith I have in the AT and its community to provide.

    Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    A more common issue is misunderstanding the exact meeting location, especially when either party has never been there before. A couple of summers ago I thought I'd been stood up for a shuttle connection in Jonesville, VT. It turned out that my shuttler and I had both been waiting just out of view of each other. A similar thing happened again this summer, further north on the Long Trail; this time it was a case of clearly defining the "trailhead" at which we were supposed to meet -- my shuttler and I were waiting for each other a couple hundred yards apart from one another.
    Gotta agree with this, too. I have come out at more than one place and realized it's not as simple nor precise as it sounded when trying to visualize in advance and/or arranging things verbally some time prior!

    RainMan

    .
    ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit..... Numbers 35

    www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

    .

  4. #24
    Registered User Big Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-23-2004
    Location
    NC
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,637
    Images
    67

    Default

    I called Mike in August to inquire about a shuttle at the beginning of Oct. A week or so later, I noticed he posted about selling his hostel. Then when I called him in September to finalize plans for shuttle in October, there was no answer and no call back from my voicemail message. I contacted Sharon Johnson, and she was great. Shuttle on time, etc. I assume Mike's issue, per this thread, may be due to his interest in selling his hostel.
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

  5. #25
    GA-ME 2011
    Join Date
    03-17-2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Age
    63
    Posts
    3,071
    Images
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    I called Mike in August to inquire about a shuttle at the beginning of Oct. A week or so later, I noticed he posted about selling his hostel. Then when I called him in September to finalize plans for shuttle in October, there was no answer and no call back from my voicemail message. I contacted Sharon Johnson, and she was great. Shuttle on time, etc. I assume Mike's issue, per this thread, may be due to his interest in selling his hostel.
    Sounds like sometime around late September he stopped dealing with the shuttle business. I hope nothing happened to him.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

  6. #26
    Registered User Ken.davidson's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-21-2013
    Location
    Dale City,VA
    Posts
    70
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    6

    Default

    I used Mike on 15 & 16 Oct. 2014. M experience with him that he was early both pickup times and was very forth coming with information to help me out on my NERO in Front Royal.
    Thanks,
    Sidewinder2013

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-22-2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,372
    Images
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post

    A more common issue is misunderstanding the exact meeting location, especially when either party has never been there before. A couple of summers ago I thought I'd been stood up for a shuttle connection in Jonesville, VT. It turned out that my shuttler and I had both been waiting just out of view of each other. A similar thing happened again this summer, further north on the Long Trail; this time it was a case of clearly defining the "trailhead" at which we were supposed to meet -- my shuttler and I were waiting for each other a couple hundred yards apart from one another.
    ++1 on this

    I just solidified a hostel stay at Three Springs in BV last week for my upcoming Nov/Dec hike, when I spoke to Oma it was obvious that there are more than one pickup options for where they will be picking me up, so we made sure we were both on the same page. btw-Great service so far with them, I left them an email & she called the next morning & was extremely helpful and accomodating.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind.....Then Join In

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-20-2005
    Location
    Kent Island in Maryland
    Age
    61
    Posts
    18
    Journal Entries
    3

    Default

    Sharon has been wonderful to me, too. When she couldn't help me she recommended Bob Jenkins and I've used him twice now. He is 81 and worked for the Park Service for 30+ years. He is a great source of info and has always been early to the meet. I've used him for shuttles in the Thornton Gap area. If anyone needs his phone number let me know. I don't have it with me right now.

    In another vein, I wish those who put their info on the shuttle list had enough courtesy to at least return a phone call. My wife and I are doing a day hike in PA tomorrow and have called two people on the list and emailed another. I asked them to let me know if they were unable to help so I could try to make other plans. No response from anyone. We prefer to hike together but if needed she drops me at one end and drives to the other end and hikes opposite. But I would prefer to pay someone for a quick shuttle so we could hike together.

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    ++1 on this

    I just solidified a hostel stay at Three Springs in BV last week for my upcoming Nov/Dec hike, when I spoke to Oma it was obvious that there are more than one pickup options for where they will be picking me up, so we made sure we were both on the same page. btw-Great service so far with them, I left them an email & she called the next morning & was extremely helpful and accomodating.
    I believe your going to like staying at Three Springs.

    Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-23-2011
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Age
    69
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Inspector

    I'm not sure how to PM you, but give me a call if you still need a ride tomorrow. 717-278-6717 Iceman

  11. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    I assume Mike's issue, per this thread, may be due to his interest in selling his hostel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Sounds like sometime around late September he stopped dealing with the shuttle business. I hope nothing happened to him.
    I'm not sure what happened on this occasion but, apparently he's alive and well as he recently sent in his update for the 2015 Companion.

  12. #32
    GA-ME 2011
    Join Date
    03-17-2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Age
    63
    Posts
    3,071
    Images
    9

    Default

    Glad Mike's OK. He's a WB member, maybe he can explain.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-11-2002
    Location
    Manchester Ctr, VT
    Posts
    2,362
    Images
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    I believe your going to like staying at Three Springs.
    We had many postive reports about Three Springs Hostel in 2014....and they weren't even in the trail guides yet !!
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

    Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

    http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

  14. #34

    Default

    Since others have suggested it with shuttles, I thought I'd point out a conversation I had with a canoe rental outfitter one time. He said he never chases canoes. He shuttles them upriver and they float back to his rental. He won't let you float downriver from his place and expect him to pick you up at the end of your trip. Reason being is that when you're chasing canoes you always end up with one party that is pissed off. Either the outfitter arrives at the take out point before the canoe and has to wait 2 hours for them to show up or the canoe gets there and they are upset because they have to wait. So he shuttles upriver and people can paddle back at their own pace and everybody is happy.

    Same thing with hiking. Always hike back to where your car is and nobody gets pissed off.

  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-10-2005
    Location
    Bedford, MA
    Posts
    12,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Same thing with hiking. Always hike back to where your car is and nobody gets pissed off.
    I'd say that's a good strategy. Get the uncertainties out of the way ASAP, one less thing to worry about when you're hiking.

  16. #36
    •Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-08-2003
    Location
    Luray, Virginia
    Posts
    4,842
    Images
    3

    Default

    As a former shuttler, I'll add one more voice to the "hike to your car" advice. It's a win-win, and I don't blame shuttlers who actually refuse to do the opposite (tho we reluctantly did if it was the only way a client could make it work).

    As for Mike, this is so unlike him during the decade-plus I've known him. I know it doesn't ease the anxiety you almost experienced, but I'd love for him to pop up here and let us hear his explanation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •