WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Is there parking at Jug End Rd, and if so, where is it and what does it look like?

I'm spending 3 days on the AT this weekend and ending my hike at Jug End Rd in MA. I've been told that there is a small parking lot there for the AT. My grandfather has graciously offered to pick me up there. He does not have a smart phone, just an old, old GPS unit. Is this a good place for us to meet? Where specifically is the parking lot, and what does it look like, is there signs on that road leading up to it? I just want to find some fool proof directions for him to follow so the pickup process is smooth. My concern is just that there are no structures or fixed address in that area, and I've never been there myself. Thanks!

Barring that, what are some really good clear places for me to end my hike near there that we can meet at?

Journal Entries

It is a pretty large pull over on a dirt road.

I would suggest a better alternative is S. Egromont Road where there is a proper 'lot', even better I recommend the Gypsee Joint in Great Barrington, yes this requires a hitch or a 3 mile hike, so but worth it.

Images

The parking on Jug End Road is only accessible from the East and it is called Curtis Road at that point or Guilder Hollow Road depending on if your are coming from the North or South on MA rte 41 because that's the way we do things in New England. It's a good place to park. Good look.

The S. Egremont Road option is good too and adds a nice level little walk.
    Last edited by xokie; 11-10-2014 at 22:57.

This parking lot here, across from the battle site monument? That was actually my original end point. Think that's easiest?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sog0ogschq...57.41.png?dl=0

Gypsee Joint looks pretty good, but I'm not sure I want to add a 2hr road walk to the end of my trip when I can just drive into town for a bite. Maybe if I was hiking through Great Barrington. Besides, I'm a little iffy on waltzing into a restaurant with 3 days of woods stink on me. Although I suppose with a name like that, I might be in good company?

Images

I parked on Curtis Road for 2 nights without a problem. The parking lot across from the monument is much better though. If memory serves me correctly it's a pretty flat hike between the two, with some open fields.

The Jug's End Road vs Curtis Road distinction is important. It took me a while to figure out where Jug's end rd was the first time. The 17 miles from Jug's End south to Bear MT in CT is, in my opinion, the prettiest section of the AT in New England south of the Whites. Race MT is beautiful, Sages Ravine, Beat Mountain, Everett. It's a lot of bang for you're buck! Every few miles you come to something worth looking at.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mvmntsofthemind View Post
    This parking lot here, across from the battle site monument? That was actually my original end point. Think that's easiest?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sog0ogschq...57.41.png?dl=0
    That is what one would consider a 'proper' parking area, but yes jug End would work for a pickup.

[quote}Gypsee Joint looks pretty good, but I'm not sure I want to add a 2hr road walk to the end of my trip when I can just drive into town for a bite. Maybe if I was hiking through Great Barrington. Besides, I'm a little iffy on waltzing into a restaurant with 3 days of woods stink on me. Although I suppose with a name like that, I might be in good company?[/QUOTE]
    You can't go wrong in any eats in G. Barrington and the GJ would have no issue with hiker funk, it is also a easy hitch into town from Rt 7 ( a little further)

Thanks for all the help. I think I'm going to get picked up from S Egremont Rd, and maybe we'll have lunch in Great Barrington.

Images

You'll have lots of options... if you take S. Egremont Rd. into the town itself, there is a nice deli there and also right next door is Mom's Cafe, which you might like. I don't know what direction you'll be headed after your hike, but that might make it easier. Have a wonderful time! I wish I were going to be out there too!

Jane

++ New Posts ++