WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCut View Post
    IMO, you will always be warmer with an UQ than with a pad. A pad does not provide insulation for your shoulders usually.

Like the OP, I started out with a WBBB DL 1.1. While comfortable, it is on the heavy side at 1.5 lbs. I use an UQ for warmth but wanted a pad too for going to the ground or staying in a shelter when I had too. So I switched to a lighter hammock that was 1 lb that saved me 8 ozs and the added a 12oz Neoair mattress. So, for 4 additional ounces I got the flexibility of hammocking when I wanted but the option for sleeping in a shelter or on the ground as needed.
    I agree with this poster. I used an UQ for my AT hike and never stayed in a shelter. There were of course a few times I would have liked to (sleet/freezing rain) but with no pad chose to hang. There were also a couple of times in very heavy fog that my down UQ became quite damp. If I was to repeat my hike I would take a Neo AirXlite and leave the UQ home. That would allow me to go to ground if needed plus if it got wet I could just wipe the Xlite down. The problem I've had with all pads is that my shoulders often get cold from touching the sides of the hammock. I've solved that problem by taking the accordion like Thermarest Zlite and cutting it in half. I lay that under the NeoairXlite in the formation of a cross and it provides perfect protection for the shoulders. It also doubles as a most excellent sit pad.

I think condensation issues vary by the person. I've never had a problem with it. I do believe having a double layer hammock helps with condensation as well as helping keep the pad in place. I also think using a Neoair helps as there are air gaps between the baffles. I also have switched to a bridge hammock which is the perfect match for a pad albeit a bit heavier. I used the Dream Hammocks Dangerbird model on my AT hike as it is quite light and comes with a weathershield built in that blocks all wind and raises the inside temp of the hammock by at least ten degrees and maybe more. He also makes one with a removable weathershield and bug netting. You could send the weathershield home after it warms up.

Cat in the Hat

I ordered Standard. I was thinking along the same lines: "long enough to pull over my head and have been plenty comfy with a balaclava, hat, and pulling the quilt over when needed".

I ordered the "Down Package Bundle" including the Crazy Warm Down Hood, using Argon fabric.
    http://www.lukesultralite.com

These items, I pay full retail. Other items, I look at last year or two, or, last season or discount.

I will order a PolarWrap balaclava. Meanwhile, I have my warm beanie and the PolarWrap Warm Air Mask to keep moisture off the down, and, inbreath of pre-warmed air helps keep me warm.

I am in Montana winter, of course. I hear the weather news that the South and the East is getting Winter.

Check out joe brewer on YouTube he used both.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++