WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Is it still possible to do a thru-hike for under $1500?

I know that back in the 1980s and 90s, it was fairly common for someone to be able to hike the trail for under $1000. Obviously with inflation, that number has gone up. If someone were able to show extreme self-control (ex: minimal hostels and/or restaurants and/or stealth camping up north), does anyone think someone could realistically hike the AT for under $1500 or at the very least $2000.
    Attached Images Attached Images

are you including your gear in that total or just food?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Journal Entries

Technically, yes.
    Realistically, no for 1500.
    Maybe for 2000.

If I recall correctly, Animal attempted $1000 hike, using an extra 5 gal bucket he carried the whole way to hold extra food so he wouldn't need to go into town. He finished with his bucket, but not for $1000.

Hiking is a vacation. My wife didn't teach me much, but one thing she did, was that vacation isn't the time to scrimp and save money.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-23-2014 at 00:01.

A close friend of mine did it on a $1000 dollar budget in 2012. He already owned his gear and overcame many struggles. It may not have been possible without a bit of luck, magic and generosity. I leave in 2015 and wouldn't attempt it with less than $3000. Some need more than that. Others have finished with less. Consider the type of hike you anticipate. I plan on avoiding the costly luxuries of bars and hotels as often as possible. I've heard stories of thrus leaving the trail in Maine due to depleted funds. Whatever your budget, stick to it. My friend had a support person to deposit weekly allowances into his account. Whatever works.
    "Stand still. The trees ahead and the bush beside you are not lost."

Journal Entries

Grandpa claimed to hike it 2x for under $1000 and was also on his way to again to do so in 2013 (again that is his claim, and I have no reason to doubt any of his claims, but just stating this for clarity). To add to his credibility I observed him 'walking the walk' of a low cost thru, stealthing in towns and resupplying with a case of ramen and nothing else. He said that his top dollar for a overnight stay is $10/night, used a wood fire for cooking (no wood stove either), and mastered the art of yogi'ing (and gave me some great tips).

So this level of austerity + '5 regular' town stops and you have your $1500 budget.

Experience once again would be key here.
    Knowing where you can eat, and perhaps sleep, cheap means a lot.
    First time thru-hikers: I highly doubt it.
    Good luck if you try though.
    Ramen and hiker boxes need to be your best friend (and a totally dry tent, double bagging your essentials, and good yogi-ing skills)
    Try not to piss off the locals.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

I am not a thru-hiker, so take this for what it is worth. However, whenever I read questions about whether one can do amhike for $1000-2000 I consider the following --

1) For a four month hike with a $1000 budget, one Iis attempting to live on $250 a month and a 5 month hike becomes $200. How many people can truly live on such a monthly budget?

2) $20 is 2% of $1000. Now 2% may not seem like much, but think about how easy it is to drop $20 without realizing how much you have easily spent. 20 bucks here and there can add up pretty quickly. A $20 night in warm bed after a rainy couple days a $20 combo pizza and a pitcher or two of beer gets you to 5% of your budget, or more realistically you just blew 20-25% of your monthly budget.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

possible but not probable plus you're on a vacation. why skimp?

I was thinking, that means live on $1500 for 5 months. That's $300 per month, about $70 per week, $10 per day. Even a fast 4 months would only bump the daily average to around $12.50. It's not hard to spend that just on food at home where the cooking is 'free' (no fuel canister or bottle, just electric). Consider that hiking about doubles one's calorie needs. Then think laundry, new socks, gear. I suspect something is being left out when one says they spend only $1500 in five months. Maybe spending other people's money doesn't count?

EDIT: After I finished I saw Tuckahoe64 was typing a similar logic at the same time. Sorry for the phantom re-post (smile)
    Last edited by perrymk; 10-23-2014 at 07:49.

The $1500 figure might be possible if you're young, brave, bold, gutsy and healthy enough. Not easy by any stretch, but easier at age 25 than 55. I did six months in Europe on $1500, in my early 20s... several decades ago.

I didn't know any thru hiker who did the trail for less than $1000 in 1994.

The trail is hard enough as it is. You might as well enjoy it and take enough money to splurge on the occasional hostel or restaurant.

I hope nobody tries when you don't have money it makes everybody who does have money feel like crap. Hey let's get a pizza oh that's right you don't have money I guess I'll treat. There is enough homeless hikers out there already we don't need anybody else with their hand out. One good thing you can do with that money is a Damascus run. Start out with everybody going north to Damascus and finish with a trail days party.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Possible yes. Probable? No.

the person above who had a friend do it on the cheap was able to do it because of "generosity" of others. Add in the financial value of the handouts, and the real cost goes up.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Just be careful that you dont need to much "generosity". I have to admit I was stunned, when a self proclaimed hobo hiker showed up at my hotel door looking to use my shower.

Even back in the 80's the rule of thumb was $1 a mile, or $2200 minimum. Today that is at least double or $4400.

I don't care how frugal you are or how much you beg, borrow and steal from other hikers and passerby's, you'll not get far on $1000. Then when you run out of money, how are you gonna get back home? I've seen people run out of money at the NOC, not even 200 miles up the trail.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Not counting initial gear and transportation, I still think $1000/mo is a good ball park figure.

If I had $1000, I'd do a really nice hike on the Long Trail, the BMT or similar. $2000? That's a nice chunk of the AT.

I guess it comes down to if a person wants to say they did a thru-hike or do they want to have pleasant long distance hiking experience?

* I've been broke and had to scrimp in the past.

* I've also been comfortable financially and have been frugal by choice...but knowing I have the reserves to splurge a bit if I'd like.

The second option is much more pleasant.
    Last edited by Mags; 10-23-2014 at 12:36.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

You will blow 20% of your budget in one town stop at some point during the hike, and that might just end the hike right there.

I think I could get by on $10/day for food on a 5 month hike. I would be concerned about paying for showers and laundry though. Not sure where that money would come from.

I met a very interesting guy this summer near Roanoke VA. He was hiking from Springer to HF with zero $. He had "garage sale grade" equipment - an old external frame pack, beat up leather boots, etc. His "sleeping bag" was an army surplus wool blanket. His shelter was an emergency blanket he slept on top of. If it started to rain, he would crawl under it. When I saw him, it was noon and he had spent the whole morning at a road crossing trying to dry all his gear from the downpour the previous night and hitch a ride to town. He was a writer and would spend his days composing short stories while he walked (he read one to me while I ate lunch). He cooked over wood fires (no fuel cost) and drank untreated water (complained about the lack of springs in VA). His food strategy was most peculiar. Before his hike he contacted all of his friends and asked "If I were hiking the AT and ran out of food, would you send me some?". They all say yes. So while hiking he had a list of friends and would ask them to mail a box of food to the next PO up the trail as he hiked from PO to PO. When I saw him, he was in a rather poor mood. In addition to having all his gear soaked, he had not been able to hitch a ride to the PO to get his mail drop. A guy I met on the trail was going to give him a ride when he got back form his day hike, but that would be in the afternoon and since the PO closed at noon on Saturday, this guy was going to be without food until Monday, although he said that going without food wasn't as bad as going without coffee. He had run out of coffee and that really made him sad. I then told him that it was Friday, not Saturday so the PO would be open when he got there and that I had a few extra Starbucks Via packages I was glad to give him. Needless to say, I really made his day.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++