WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default SPOT Connect device

I was wondering if I use a SPOT Connect do I have to have the bluetooth on my phone turned on at all times to track my hike or do I only need to turn it on for sending messages to like Facebook? I would like to hear from anyone with experience using one of these devices. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I don't have a SPOT connect, but I have a SPOT Gen3. I did a lot of research earlier this year before I bought it, and I'm pretty sure the answer to your question is no, your phone does not even have to be powered on to track your hike. It only needs to be on and connected to initially turn on the tracking.

BTW, I've been very satisfied with my SPOT. I considered getting a connect or something similar where I could compose messages, but the limited functionality combined with the high cost of messaging made me go with just the regular SPOT. It works great. Highly recommended.

I was wondering how much your service contract runs and can you do it month to month or do you have to pay for a whole year?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianOH72 View Post
    I was wondering how much your service contract runs and can you do it month to month or do you have to pay for a whole year?
    Basic contract is $150/year. No month-to-month. That includes sending "Check-in/OK" messages as well as live tracking, which updates your location on a webpage every 10 minutes. If you have a SPOT Connect, the messages that you compose from your phone while in the field are charged separately. Their website has all the info.

I think they are having a half-off sale right now on the devices themselves. I know it's a lot of money up front, but not too bad on a monthly scale ($12.50). I've decided that it's worth it. Only you can decide if it's worth it for you.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like a great investment.

Images

To make a fully informed decision you may want to also check out the DeLorme InReach. It is a locator/GPS device similar to the Spot but my understanding is it works through different communication channels or satellites than the Spot. (Maybe someone that has more knowledge than I can give you the tech specs on it). Some of the reasons I chose the InReach are more reliable communication, the ability to send a text message, and they will contract your monitoring service on a month to month basis.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rx View Post
    To make a fully informed decision you may want to also check out the DeLorme InReach. It is a locator/GPS device similar to the Spot but my understanding is it works through different communication channels or satellites than the Spot. (Maybe someone that has more knowledge than I can give you the tech specs on it). Some of the reasons I chose the InReach are more reliable communication, the ability to send a text message, and they will contract your monitoring service on a month to month basis.
    If you search he WhiteBlaze data base for "Spot" you will find many of my previous posts in favor of Spot. I was a big fan of Spot until the one time I actually needed it. I was hiking the Clear Creek Trail in the Grand Canyon when a member of my hiking party had a medical emergency. I attempted to activate the SOS feature on my SPOT. The unit showed that the message was sent, but it was never received by the National Park Service. To this day, I don't know for sure where the problem was. It is very possible that it was "operator error."

I switched to the DeLorme inReach for one simple reason. If I ever have that type of emergency again, on the DeLorme I will know whether or not the message was received. If I don't get a confirmation, I will know to try again.

I understand that SPOT has made improvements from the model I was using, so I am not recommending one particular brand. I am suggesting that if you invest in a communication device, get one that receives messages as well as sends them. It is also helpful if you can send a message in addition to just SOS. Many times, it is helpful to be able to explain the nature of the emergency.

To close the loop on my story, we were able resolve the medical emergency so that the young man could hike out.
    Shutterbug

++ New Posts ++