WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

To answer the title of this thread.......NO!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But you are welcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also consider this. As the victim of a dog relieving themselves on my tent. I had just set up camp and it was getting dark. I didn't have the option of moving my tent. The other thing about this situation, I didn't want to approach the owner and complain since I didn't want people to think I was rude or someone you wouldn't want to be around.

If I were hiking and someone had a dog that was either barking at night or making my progress on the trail more difficult, the owner would receive only one polite warning.

Images

Very well trained and very dependable dogs with responsible owners are no problem at all. Trail specific training is necessary to avoid all the many bad encounters and behaviors that put off other hikers. I have encountered several very well trained and very dependable dogs with responsible owners - it is a pleasure and a surprise, unfortunately. It is rare to encounter.

Average or well trained dogs with responsible owners are no problem for me, personally, but others do not like them. I love dogs, I love having them around. I miss them when there are none close-by. That said, I have never taken my own dogs hiking on popular trails. I know that they are friendly and would enjoy at least shorter hikes. I also know that they are only average trained - they come when called (unless they are intrigued with some smell or sight), they do not beg from the table (living room couch, they think is fair game for begging), they sometimes bark too much, they greet strangers in a friendly way (non-aggressive).

I know that this standard, at home, and for me, is acceptable. When folks come to my door, my dogs are fine as far as I'm concerned. However, if I took my dogs on the trail, they would need to conform to EVERYONE's standard, not just mine. My dogs are not trained at that level for trail life. Period.

As I said, I, personally, am tolerant of some misbehavior and lack of training, as long as the dog remains friendly and the owner accepts responsibility for the misbehavior. I do love dogs, even other people's dogs. That said, because I don't mind, doesn't mean that others feel the same. Everyone needs to respect other hiker's feelings when we all decide to share a home for a month/week/day or more. The AT is our home, so everyone needs to be at ease.

Finally, there are just plain aggressive, threatening dogs out there as well. It is inexcusable to take one of these onto any trail, especially if they are not on a short leash. I encountered a couple of these in NJ. One of the first times I have been genuinely fearful of a dog encounter, right from the get go. Luckily and thankfully, a short time after running into these dogs, I ran into a DNR officer heading up the trail in search of these folks - they had already received numerous complaints.

If you can honestly meet the qualities in my first paragraph, bring the dogs along and have fun. It takes a great deal of time and effort to do the training BEFORE you commit them to the hike.

Good Luck, and have fun!!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LBRiver View Post
    So, I'm a young woman who adores both backpacking and dogs. I recently adopted a pup who will hopefully one day hike the AT with me. However, when I read some of the notes written on this message board, I start feeling anxious that dogs really aren't welcome on the appalachian trail. I am well researched on the difficulties of caring for a dog on long distance hikes, and that the AT doesn't allow them all the way through, and the difficulties of staying at shelters, and the diminished percentage I have of finishing the trail, etc…but I am concerned about whether my dog and I will be scapegoated by the thru hiker community. I have read posts by other dog owners who outline useful commands to teach them, but I find some of these posts overwhelming---I am training my pup to be a therapy certified dog, so both he and i are working very hard, but in the end no matter how much training I do he is still going to be just what he is, a dog: he's going to want to bark, roll in dead things, chase after squirrels, say hi to strangers, and hate to have to "heel" next to me for extensive periods on the trail. And really I don't want to train that all out of him, I want him to enjoy rolling in the grass and become excited by the smells of the earth, and I want hiking to be fun for him just as much as it is "work." I guess I am posting this because I want to know whether my concerns are justified, and whether, ultimately, the AT is a rewarding hike to accomplish and community to be a part of when you own a dog.
    Hi LBRiver, please use a leash. Thanks.

I agree with Lyle. Dogs do not belong in shelters ever!! I spent a week lately on the trail. I saw quite a # of dogs, all well trained all heeling well. all on short leashes. The shelters are generally small, not enough room for a dog. I can't imagine bringing a dog through some of the rock fields. Better to leave your dog at home.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++