WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    An observation from me is that you want your dog to be a dog. It sounds (to me) like you are more worried about your dog's "feelings" than some human's feelings or safety.
    Thanks all for the responses! and sorry, I think my original post was a little bit defensive and misleading. Humans feelings and safety are my primary concern, so much so that at times I feel like I should never bring my dog hiking at all, because so many people seem to have bad experiences with them and don't like them there. That being said, I am working extremely hard to train my dog incredibly well, so that we'll never have to face these problems. Everything I can think of for both trail and social training, we're doing. My primary goal for him is to work in Outdoor Education with me, a teacher, and my elementary school students, so he has to be very well behaved all of the time. I think where my concerns are coming from is feeling like hikers don't want dogs on the trail at all, and my anxiety that even if I have the best trained dog in the world, I am still going to receive a lot of dirty looks/flac for having him there with me.

I just want to reiterate again, I hate the thought of me or my dog impairing someone else's hiking experience. That's why I'm so concerned about his training, and whether or not I ever bring him along.

So many variables here it's impossible to generalize. Though I think I do see a pattern -- dogs often (usually? almost always?) reflect the personality of their owners. I've met dogs on the trail who were excellent company and no problem at all. And of course lots more examples of not-so-pleasant dog encounters on the trial, some dogs owned by hikers, some owned by property owners near trailheads, some feral, some lost.

Lots of children are frightened by dogs. They may grow out of their fear eventually but the fear is real. To this day I don't like seeing large, muscular dogs unleashed on the trail. By the same token I've almost never been been spooked by a golden retriever. So some breeds are inherently scarier (or more annoying) than others.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    By the same token I've almost never been been spooked by a golden retriever. So some breeds are inherently scarier (or more annoying) than others.
    Evidently you have not been around to many golden retrievers.

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    Evidently you have not been around to many golden retrievers.
    Owned one for a number of years. Didn't have a mean bone in his body. I only took him hiking a few times, never on the AT.

Key word TOO MANY

Goldens are bred for a soft bite. Go fetch that duck I just shot, but bring it back without mauling it.

They also tend to be "yuppie" dogs, ie. associated more with suburban or wealthy urban owners, rather than rural. At least that's been my experience. I was NOT a fan of big dogs 'till we got Bucky. He did bit parts in a couple of movies.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You have every right to have one, but just keep them away from me, especially when we are preparing food at a shelter.

If your dog invades my private personal space, it is like you are invading it, which would be a serious crime. To rephrase, how would you like it if another hiker approached you and sniffed your privates? Yes, there are laws against that for a reason, and your representative (your dog) need to follow them please or don't be surprised if people get livid.

Have met more than 200 dogs on the trail. Have heard the same words 200 times; "Oh don't mind Fido, he won't bite. He sniffs everyone there." Well, dog owners, guess what? I am tired of hearing it. Put your dog on a leash or do not take him in the woods.

well if dedicated hanger says it , you have to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by jj2044 View Post
    well if dedicated hanger says it , you have to listen.
    lol.............

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Goldens are bred for a soft bite. Go fetch that duck I just shot, but bring it back without mauling it.

They also tend to be "yuppie" dogs, ie. associated more with suburban or wealthy urban owners, rather than rural. At least that's been my experience. I was NOT a fan of big dogs 'till we got Bucky. He did bit parts in a couple of movies.
    I used to raise Golden as I thought like you they were the perfect loving dog. I could not believe the day when my favorite backed up one of my neighbors so much so she threaten to call the police. My dog had never displayed such behavior. Since then many years ago I talked to a lot of people and have had similar experiences with goldens. Your dog may be different...maybe not?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    I used to raise Golden as I thought like you they were the perfect loving dog. I could not believe the day when my favorite backed up one of my neighbors so much so she threaten to call the police. My dog had never displayed such behavior. Since then many years ago I talked to a lot of people and have had similar experiences with goldens. Your dog may be different...maybe not?
    had and a very similar experience with my Golden. nicest dog in the world but I saw a repairman go around the back of our house and Kujo emerged.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedicated Hanger View Post
    Have met more than 200 dogs on the trail. Have heard the same words 200 times; "Oh don't mind Fido, he won't bite. He sniffs everyone there." Well, dog owners, guess what? I am tired of hearing it. Put your dog on a leash or do not take him in the woods.
    I share some of your frustration with the common greetings from many dog owners and their dogs. I do.

"She doesn't bite." Anything that has teeth can bite and does so regularly... Admittedly I've bitten more men than yours, I'm sure.
    "He won't bite." Said right before many reported and unreported bites...
    "Don't worry, she is friendly." If she is so friendly, why do you have to introduce her as such? Uh huh.

Two things are wrong with this. 1) It is said by the owners of both well mannered AND ill-tempered dogs. 2) The words are uttered AFTER an invasion of personal space has already occurred, usually.

With that being said...
    Your obvious hostility will only add to your troubles. Dogs will sense it and some will react to it. You're a grown man, yes? Ignore the dog owner's empty words and make your own judgment if a dog approaching is friendly or not. Instead of standing still and allowing a dog to muzzle punch your crotch, keep it at bay. It is possible to do that without hurting a dog or angering an owner, by the way.

Fact is that you have no authority when it comes to dogs being on the Trail, nor if the dog is off-leash in an area where it isn't illegal. IF a dog attacks you then you can use appropriate force to defend yourself. IF a dog approaches you without permission then you can use appropriate force to keep it at a distance, with restraint and not harm the animal. Just know that there will be consequences for using inappropriate levels of force unnecessarily. The best impact a person could have in the situation you laid out would be to calmly communicate to the owner what you didn't appreciate about your encounter with his/her dog and why. You will have a far greater chance of getting your message across.

Or you could continue to act like a grump and have your opinions ignored by that person. Won't lie, your general attitude does have an impact of a sort on this discussion. It is the very reason that the OP created this thread. Don't mean to single you out like this... your opinion and the way you choose to express it is shared by many Whiteblazers, sadly. But from my POV it is a VERY childish way of trying to get your way.

I'm sure some people won't like me for saying it but I think someone had to.

Images

I suggest to do lots of weekend camping with your dog, I have never had a problem , Tent away from shelters - Once your dog gets used to backpacking he/she will be the best companion ever. I did a couple of nights without him this year and I missed his company dearly.

I know my dog can't do a through hike because of the heat but he makes a great tent heater when its cold, Don't let the negative people here sway you - the folks who don't want dogs on the trail you wouldn't want to be around anyway.

So keep your invasive dog away from the shelters and others and it won't be a problem.
    A well trained dog is a joy to behold, So do your job before you bring your dog on the trail, or any where else for that matter.

If you can train your dog like this one, you'll have no issues. This couple and their dog did the trail, and the training is amazing. check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/user/TeamFortisAT/videos

Its more of an issue on Whiteblaze then when you're really out there hiking. If (and its a big IF) your dog is trained and well behaved you will have little to no issues with people on the trail. Heck, more people knew my dogs name then mine!! I was "Annie's owner". people loved her!! 99.9% of people will not care about your dog a long as its well trained. Btw, I never stayed one night in a shelter. it was the tent life for me. As long as you are kind and courteous, you and you dog will be fine.

Its more of an issue on Whiteblaze then when you're really out there hiking. If (and its a big IF) your dog is trained and well behaved you will have little to no issues with people on the trail. Heck, more people knew my dogs name then mine!! I was "Annie's owner". people loved her!! 99.9% of people will not care about your dog a long as its well trained. Btw, I never stayed one night in a shelter. it was the tent life for me. As long as you are kind and courteous, you and you dog will be fine.
    +1 This...all day long.

+++1
    Stay out of the rat infested shelters and you will be fine..train ur dog to hike behind you so you can keep off others as they pass...don't take all the bs u hear on this site to heart...

Don't know why people who dislike hiking dogs are on this portion of the site??...........u want some cheese with that wine???????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++