WhiteBlaze Pages
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$10 for printed copy(paperback). $6 for interactive PDF. $2 for printable PDF.
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Default Video: DIY Honey, Peanut Butter, or Energy Gel Packets without a Sealer

    I have a couple of videos already on making little packets with a vacuum sealer. I have since found a much easier alternative to making the little packets, using an iron, a metal level, and some pill pouches found at the local pharmacy or Walmart. These takes seconds to make, and so cheap! Just wanted to share



    Demeter's Blog

    Demeter's Video Channel

    "What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

  2. #2

    Default

    If its a Ziploc bag why is it necessary to use the iron and melt the bag closed?

  3. #3

    Default

    Just to seal it permanently so the zip doesn't pop open :-)
    Demeter's Blog

    Demeter's Video Channel

    "What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

  4. #4
    Hopeful Hiker QHShowoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-16-2005
    Location
    There's no place like it
    Age
    46
    Posts
    887

    Default

    If God wanted us to make our own single-serve packets, he wouldn't have given us minimus.biz
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale


    -Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

  5. #5
    Wanna-be hiker trash
    Join Date
    03-05-2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Age
    40
    Posts
    6,885
    Images
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    If God wanted us to make our own single-serve packets, he wouldn't have given us minimus.biz
    The packets I make work wonderfully and are exactly the portion size I want. I can make them the night before a trip if needed, never have to worry about ordering online.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

  6. #6
    Registered User 4Bears's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-25-2009
    Location
    Mishawaka, IN
    Age
    68
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Nice hack Demeter, thanks.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    The packets I make work wonderfully and are exactly the portion size I want. I can make them the night before a trip if needed, never have to worry about ordering online.
    Thats what I had been using; I love the convenience and lower cost of the DIY sealer bag packets, but not the amount of time they take.

    that's why I think the pill packets are a better packet for me: Less fuss for sure. Now I just need to see if they hold up as well
    Demeter's Blog

    Demeter's Video Channel

    "What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

  8. #8
    Hopeful Hiker QHShowoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-16-2005
    Location
    There's no place like it
    Age
    46
    Posts
    887

    Default

    So, all joking aside. I use similar pill bags for stuff like spices and pills. Original, I know. I've found that they very easily get punctured by things I pack in or around the bags. Like if I have a bag with a couple of vitamins in it, just the pressure from the edges of the vitamins rubbing against the inside of the bag sometimes will cause the bag to tear. To be safe, I always put them in another larger ziploc, but it's just something to think about when using them to store liquids or gels. Vacuum-sealing bags are of a thicker plastic than those little pill baggies.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale


    -Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    So, all joking aside. I use similar pill bags for stuff like spices and pills. Original, I know. I've found that they very easily get punctured by things I pack in or around the bags. Like if I have a bag with a couple of vitamins in it, just the pressure from the edges of the vitamins rubbing against the inside of the bag sometimes will cause the bag to tear. To be safe, I always put them in another larger ziploc, but it's just something to think about when using them to store liquids or gels. Vacuum-sealing bags are of a thicker plastic than those little pill baggies.
    I've had a similar thing happen with the pill baggies - the side towards the bottom split open and my aspirin ended up in the dirt. Not a biggie, but it could be a bigger deal if you end up with peanut butter oozing all over your stuff.

    -FA

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •