WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Default GoLite is in Chapter 11 bankruptcy

I just saw that GoLite is in Chapter 11 bankruptcy and has closed all stores outside Colorado.

That would explain why people are having a tough time getting ChromeDome umbrellas.

That's too bad as I liked those stores and their "direct" prices. Can't say I'm too surprised as their efforts to buck the system by selling direct was probably a tough road.

http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-b...reorganization

Mike/GoalTech

I just copied this information from the PCT-L just in case people had problems with orders or anything. Sounds like they will be back though.

levibarry

That's unfortunate. I visited the store in Durango back in August and wondered a bit about how they afford such prime real estate given what appeared to be low foot traffic in the store. But very friendly people working there and good prices on gear. I guess they are keeping the Durango store.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Maybe they'd have more cash flow if they:

a) Weren't always out of stock on their best sellers and
    b) Didn't discontinue their best stuff (my opinion....)

Hate to see it - I like their brand.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

That's sad. I liked them, who knows what kind of company they'll emerge as...

Just speculating, but I wonder if this will force them to begin selling wholesale to larger stores like REI or EMS once they emerge. Personally I'd love to see a company that makes real UL gear get widespread distribution, maybe it's something they'll consider.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 10-18-2014 at 17:51.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Maybe they'd have more cash flow if they:

a) Weren't always out of stock on their best sellers and
    b) Didn't discontinue their best stuff (my opinion....)

Hate to see it - I like their brand.
    Agree with the two above and would add another....... If you're claim to fame is lightweight gear, don't add weight. The Golite Jam peaked out back in 2008 and has steadily become GoHeavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Agree with the two above and would add another....... If you're claim to fame is lightweight gear, don't add weight. The Golite Jam peaked out back in 2008 and has steadily become GoHeavy.
    Well now the Golite Jam is GoneLite, they are sold out accordign to the website. and everything right now it 50% off, most likely to liquify everything for the Bankruptcy.

Everything I've ever wanted to buy has been out of stock. So inventory management may have been one of their issues.

With so many looking for the lowest possible price, amazon, e-bay, ect...is it any wonder.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Everything I've ever wanted to buy has been out of stock. So inventory management may have been one of their issues.
    If they really owed their suppliers the amounts of money listed in the article, it could explain why they out of stock so often...just sayin...

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Probably be bought out by Monsanto.
    GoLite doesn't do enough environmental damage to peak Monsanto's interest...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    GoLite doesn't do enough environmental damage to peak Monsanto's interest...
    I'm sure Monsanto could transform GoLite. Let's study The North Face---
    ** Started in 1968 in San Francisco.
    ** Odyssey Holdings acquired NF in 1988.
    ** Purchased in 1994 by J.H. Whitney and Co.
    ** NF on verge of bankruptcy in 2000 was acquired by Vanity Fare (VF Corp).

Brands of VF Corp---

http://www.vfc.com/brands

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    While I agree GoLite doesn't have a complete market line up of the absolutely lightest wt cutting edge UL gear as it once had I believe this occurred for the same reason that it has occurred in some other UL cottage gear companies with SOME gear pieces - there is a market that serves people that desire a balance in gear that takes into account durabilty, price, features, wt, etc AND NOT JUST OFFERING THE LIGHTEST WT PRICIEST MINMALIST UL GEAR THAT IS OFTEN USED LARGELY IN THE SHORT TERM AND THEN TRASHED. Plus, GoLite is competing more than ever in the UL market place.

Also, I do believe GoLite, as with several other gear companies, still manufacture their products in countries, in part or entirely, NOT in China. China's Labor costs are hard to compete against for many companies.

Images

Well, their packs are made the Philippines.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

And, at least at one time, a good amount of their gear was manufactured in Vietnam.

I'll hang on to my Golite shirts, maybe worth something some day on eBay

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Wrote this earlier:

Normally, the fate of gear companies really does not concern me. But, being up the road from me quite literally, I took a little more interest. Plus that fact that it is a beautiful fall Sunday and I have to work.

We'll see what happens. GoLite's main problem, IMO, is that they did know what they wanted to be. Half-way between cottage gear and REI gear? Eddie Bauer "life-style" type fashions?

They are a fairly small company. They have to concentrate on one market and do it well. Not several markets with gear/clothing that does not stand out. I have some of their lifestyle clothing (Button downs, short sleeves and so on) and while it is nice, I only bought it because it was on clearance. A button down gray oxford ain't too hard to find.

Likewise, with their Tumalo and Bitterroot. On sale and clearance, they were excellent buys. At their current full price of $80 and $200 respectively, there are other options that may be better. If they can rediscover their original idea of "champagne gear at beer prices", (as opposed to "good white wine at expensive craft beer prices" ) with some good innovations, they may regain their footing.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Wrote this earlier:

GoLite's main problem, IMO, is that they did know what they wanted to be.
    I think its more fundamental than that. Regardless of what they wanted to be, they never seemed to have very much of their catalog in stock and actually available for sale on the website. One thing REI, Eddie Bauer and a legion of cottage gear companies have in common is that they seem to understand that one needs to have inventory and make actual sales to make a profit. I hate to see any small business fail, but it really doesn't get much more basic than that.
    Last edited by Offshore; 10-19-2014 at 13:49.

Double post - deleted

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++