WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default LT parking question - overnight parking allowed on Rt 125 near Middlebury Snow Bowl?

In the Long Trail guidebook I have it describes side of the road parking where the LT crosses Rt 125 near the Middlebury Snow Bowl. I went on Googlemaps and with street view I could see cars parked there. My question is does anyone know if overnight parking is allowed there? Should i just call the local police department and ask? And assuming we take the usual precautions of leaving nothing valuable in the car do you think it would be safe to do so (assuming its allowed)? I find figuring out legal safe nearby parking the hardest part of the planning for a hike!

Images

I hiked past 125 in Sept and saw a number of cars that looked like they were there for over night. I'm sure it's fine, but I would call the local police.

I just parked at Jonesville across from the post office for a few nights and I called the police to confirm it was ok. Everything you read says it is, but it looked sketchy and I needed confirmation for peace of mind.

There has been a huge amount of car break ins at trailheads in Vermont this year. Leave nothing in your car, and leave car unlocked. Save yourself a broken window.

Images

Really? Thats not good.

I have been parking along the LT without any problems all year, but I did park at Brandon Gap on Route 73 and see an alarming amount of glass on the ground. Maybe not Alarming, likely just one window being smashed, but still, one to many.
    Thanks for the heads up

Would a Middlebury Park and Ride parking lot be safer you think and then take a bus to the trailhead?

Images

Does a bus go to the trail head?
    The LT map shows that it has parking, I don't think it would be a problem. I would call the police station for peace of mind, but I think you will be fine to park there. As Dahoyt said, take everything out of your car and leave it unlocked. I have even put funny notes on my windshield explaining to criminals that the doors are unlocked and there is no need to smash a window.
    I have parked up and down the LT all year during my section hike and I haven't had any problems with parking.

There actually is a bus from Middlebury! But ok - thank you all for the advice. It's really appreciated. Follow-up question, any advice on best ways to get a shuttle from Rt125 near Middlebury Snow Bowl to the Long Trail Inn?

Images

The Inn might do a shuttle, no?
    When are you planning to go?

The trip isn't until July 2015 but I like to plan in advance for trips as the planning helps me look forward to it more (if that makes sense). Current plan is to park the car (with no valuables inside and glove box open and empty) on Rt 125 shoulder, get a shuttle back to the Inn at the Long Trail and not stay there but hike down Sherburne Pass to Killington and then back up the AT/LT to Maine junction and then north up the LT back towards the parked car. Should be a nice few days on the trail. I wouldn't hit up the Inn for a shuttle since it's a little far (31 miles) and we won't be staying there (although we might have to have a pint there!). Perhaps I should make a new post asking about recommendations for a good shuttle service . . . And of course any advice or tips on this section are welcome.

Images

I recommend hitting up the Inn. It's part of the LT experience. I got to spend a night there after coming down Killington. I was apprehensive about spending that much $ for one night on a hike, but I really look back on it fondly.

You've got a nice section in there. Some good climbs and great views. Have fun!

++ New Posts ++