Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting on the forums and unfortunately it is for nothing good. I just finished visiting the Smoky mountains this weekend and I have to say that it is beautiful country, perhaps the most beautiful I have ever seen. I backpacked in three miles on the Snowbird trail (big) and camped near the rusted out VW bus. The next morning I left my tent up and took my dogs for a hike before returning to take down camp.

A few minutes after I arrived at camp I heard dogs barking. I moved here from the west coast so I assumed that it was another hiker coming down the trail with their dogs. Soon I was surrounded by a pack of bear hunting dogs. It did not take long before one of them decided to attack my smaller (30 lb) dog. I had the collars of both of my dogs in my hands but they dragged my smaller dog away and mauled her before I could get to her and protect her (all I had in my hand was a tent stake). This happened several times before I was able to pick her up and put her in my tent. In the process I was bitten several times in my hands and legs. They then attacked my other dog (45 lbs). At one point they had him by the throat and he turned blue because he had no oxygen. They dragged him across the river away from me before I could get to him. I laid on top of him, hitting dogs with the only weapon I had, a stick.

It was 45 minutes before the hunters arrived. Even when they arrived they had a very hard time pulling their dogs off. The entire pack was 12 dogs, but it was about 6 dogs that really wanted to kill my dogs. My dogs have several lacerations, puncture wounds, and one is missing part of his ear. I have two bad bites on my hands and several bruises from bites on my legs.

The hunters did not offer to help with veterinary or medical bills. They helped me back to my car by carrying my pack but that was all they did. I lost my camera in the skirmish and I am sure it is gone forever.

I am out $600 in vet bills and may end up owing more if complications develop.

Please, please, PLEASE be careful in the Smokys, especially if you are hiking alone or with dogs. If these hunters are still using these dogs they pose a serious public safety hazard. The next time someone may not be so "lucky." I am not anti-hunting, I recognize the need for management, but I also feel it's incredibly unacceptable to have something like this happen on public land with "trained" dogs. The next time I will be carrying a pistol.

If you have any information that could lead to the contact of these individuals, please contact the Graham County Sheriff.