WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I hiked in this area last week. There were quite a few hunting trucks parked on the sides of the road with some sort of box-like contraption over the beds of many of the trucks for transporting dogs. I saw several with multiple dogs sticking their heads out of holes in the box. It made me a little concerned but since I didn't encounter any hunters or dogs, I decided it was safe enough. I may reconsider hiking in this area during hunting season.

Images

I agree with TW that hunters do let their dogs run wild during training season, while hunting and then roaming loose for weeks after causing problems. In TN the TWRA regs specifically ban any non hunting dogs from wildlife management areas at all times. It's a rule that's rarely enforced and where the AT goes through hunting areas, I think that the TWRA realizes that hiker's dogs do not cause many problems. It's up to hikers to research the areas you will be hiking and plan accordingly. Here in my local area the bear hunters claim it is their right and heritage to hunt bears with dogs. They even burned down the 1st Flint Mtn shelter after the AT in the area which had been open to ORVs was purchased by the USFS around 1983 and the old jeep road was "closed". Again I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience and maybe others will learn from this. Lots of places to hike where hunting is not allowed. There are specific "Bear Refuges" and National Parks for example but they too have some rules. Also some avoid NPS lands due to crowds. Just take some time before your hike to post questions here and many will help out with their input as to what's going on in many areas.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Thank you - it is nice to find a hiking forum that covers information on the east coast areas.

Alligator had a good point about my camera, so I am adding info on the offhand chance one of you hikes in Snowbird before the snow flies.

I camped three miles in on the big snowbird trail (the one that follows the creek). On the map it is the area where the trail forks is where I camped. There was a rusted VW bus nearby. I camped not by the fire ring but a little lower where there was no brush. The camera fell out either along the bank of that river or into the river itself. (My dog was dragged into the river and I jumped in to save her)

The other possibility is on the far side of the river, where the trail continues (right fork) to big falls. This is where we wound up when the hunters arrived. I was crouched under brush on the right side of the trail, within 100 yards of the river. I had been digging in my pocket for my knife so it is possible it fell out then. Obviously with the rain I have poor hopes that it will be functional, but I may be able to salvage pictures that mean a lot to me. It is a beautiful area. It is a Sony DSC H10.

http://www.tailofthedragonmaps.com/maps_snowbird.html

Images

Terrible story. Sounds like you did the best you could under the circumstances. Thank you for the warning. Wish you and your dogs speedy recoveries.

Quote Originally Posted by runwyld View Post

I camped three miles in on the big snowbird trail (the one that follows the creek). On the map it is the area where the trail forks is where I camped. There was a rusted VW bus nearby. I camped not by the fire ring but a little lower where there was no brush. The camera fell out either along the bank of that river or into the river itself. (My dog was dragged into the river and I jumped in to save her)
    Check out my pics---

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpa...irds/i-qqmRfRw

I'd report this to the local news outlets and let them make a big deal out of it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

Sounds like a legal matter if you were bitten. Gonna cost you some money but will cost the owner of the out of control dog some dollars also. Even if he were to win.

If something like that happened in my younger days the hounds in training would have been like bowling balls on a table at a wheelgun pin match. Six would have been swept. Used to be what happened in the country stayed in the country. Not the mention many laws have changed.

That said today I avoid areas where that type of trouble may happen. Plus I stopped hiking with a dog over 20 years ago., and stopped going heavy even before that.
    Last edited by lemon b; 10-16-2014 at 14:37.

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    That said today I avoid areas where that type of trouble may happen.
    The areas where this can happen are vast---all of Cherokee National Forest, the Nantahala NF, the forests of Georgia including the Big Frog and Cohutta wilderness, etc. The only place I know in the Southeast where it can't happen is in the Smokies, but then you have to pay cash money to backpack and sleep overnight and have to tell the Tent Police exactly where you'll be camping every night (with a reservation for each site), an impossibility on a long backpacking trip.

My advice to backpackers with or without dogs is to walk tall and enjoy the freedom of the wilderness. Scream at any hunting dog who comes up to you and beat it with a stick if it shows the least sign of aggressiveness. Ya can't let these puny curs alter your hiking trip in any way.

The only place I know in the Southeast where it can't happen is in the Smokies, but then you have to pay cash money to backpack and sleep overnight and

But paying the 4 dollars for the permit sure beats paying 600 for the vet bills.

But, also in a wilderness area---one could have carried a gun and just shot the attacking dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by spoonfan View Post
    But paying the 4 dollars for the permit sure beats paying 600 for the vet bills.

But, also in a wilderness area---one could have carried a gun and just shot the attacking dogs.
    Not to hijack but the $4 is nothing, it's letting Big Mommy know where I'll be camping for the next 3 weeks. It's impossible to do.

Images

I always carry but I think bear spray would be a better option against attacking dogs - works on humans too.

Not to hijack but the $4 is nothing, it's letting Big Mommy know where I'll be camping for the next 3 weeks. It's impossible to do.

Yeah-you're right. The $4 is nothing so people shouldn't b*tch when they have to pay it for a permit.

But, you missed my point-I'd rather pay 4 dollars and not worry about dogs attacking me then to have to pay 600 dollars in vet bills for an injured dog that was attacked by hunters dogs.

Then again-those dogs wouldn't have had a chance as I would have filled them full of lead as soon as the attack commenced.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I'd report this to the local news outlets and let them make a big deal out of it.
    +1 on this. A woman and her two dogs attacked by vicious hunting dogs is a story that local newspapers and TV might be interested in. You might even be able to get some help in identifying the ****heads responsible.

More generally, this just reinforces my opinion that people who hunt for sport or hunt predators (as opposed to hunting for food) are borderline sociopaths. No one with a conscience would have let you go off without at least offering to pay for vet treatment for your dogs. Those hunters probably don't treat their own dogs any better than their dogs treated yours.

We have been working very hard to get this in the news. It has been hard to get people to pick it up. Obviously there is little competing with ebola.

If anyone has suggestions on how to spur the media, I'd appreciate it.

This happened on Monday, its now Thursday evening and I have yet to speak to the ranger or wildlife services officer on the case. I have called several times and they are not returning my calls. It'd be much easier to accept that they had looked and could not find anyone, but last I heard, no one had even tried to look (from the FS receptionist).

I think bear spray would have been the ticket in this case. I actually had some, but it was in my tent which I was in the process of taking down. I am looking into getting training and a gun for future trips. I refuse to let this deter me from enjoying being out in the wilderness.

Which ranger station did you call?

I've called the ranger station that is closest to Snowbird, Cheoah, and have always gotten somebody on the first try.

Cheoah is the station I have been talking to; I always get to talk to the receptionist, and they transfer me to the ranger on the case, but he never answers his phone and has failed to return my multiple phone calls. Even just a "we've been really busy and we haven't been able to make it out but we will still investigate" would suffice.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by runwyld View Post
    We have been working very hard to get this in the news. It has been hard to get people to pick it up. Obviously there is little competing with ebola.

If anyone has suggestions on how to spur the media, I'd appreciate it.

This happened on Monday, its now Thursday evening and I have yet to speak to the ranger or wildlife services officer on the case. I have called several times and they are not returning my calls. It'd be much easier to accept that they had looked and could not find anyone, but last I heard, no one had even tried to look (from the FS receptionist).

I think bear spray would have been the ticket in this case. I actually had some, but it was in my tent which I was in the process of taking down. I am looking into getting training and a gun for future trips. I refuse to let this deter me from enjoying being out in the wilderness.
    The authorities may be looking at this a a civil matter, rather than a crime.

You might switch gears and let them know you are concerned about contracting rabies, as the dog owners would not provide you with any identification, much less proof a vaccinations.

That might be harder for them to turn a blind eye to.

Make sure they know you have documented your request-- perhaps with an email to the officer you speak to with a copy to his superior. Always keep in mind that a LEOs duty is to protect. His pension, first -- but also people like you.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

This might sound strange, but you could think about getting in touch with the Humane Society of the US or a similar animal welfare group. Besides calling/emailing, you can also post your story on their facebook page (so everyone can see) and publicly tweet it to them if you're on twitter. HSUS might be a good starting point--they are generally anti-hunting and pro-pets, and your situation fits both niches.

That's a pretty damn horrible story runwyld, sorry you had to go through that, I'd be pissed off...big time.

It probably too late now but you should have gotten names and contact info. Those are high dollar dogs and should have had the info on their collars. That might not have been wise to try to look at their collars if they were in attack mode. Those hunters owe you damages. Hope you contacted the local law. Sorry for your misery. Hope you and your dogs heal well. Not a normal event by any means being a hunter myself. Not good. Not good at all.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++