WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question JMT (1st timer) Thru Hike Gear list for early August 2015

Earlier this year I was planning my first long distance hike for the Colorado Trail but my buddy moved to California and the plans have changed. Now it looks like we are going to do the John Muir Trail instead seeing that he lives only a couple of hours away from the trail. We are looking to start the hike on August 1st and would like to complete it in 20 days. This will be my first thru hike. If anyone has suggestions on my gear or what to expect, that would be greatly appreciated! I would like to keep my pack under 35lb (I know that can be consider heavy by some). Here is a link to my gear list. http://lighterpack.com/r/4jh8oa

Thanks in advance for any and all help or insights for this trip.

how was your trip?

stupid auto correct how is your trip planning going? i am using http://jmtbook.com to help me plan my trip. it is the best site for the jmt so far i have found. his book is pretty cool too. nice read actually.

Only things that are striking me:

You don't need a food stuff sack when you have the bear canister. You can just use ziplock or an empty bread bag for your lunch food and snacks.

I personally have never taken rain pants in the Sierras in August. Most the time, I don't even bring a rain jacket. I just take my tent fly or tarp and wear it Little Red Riding Hood style for the hour or two it rains. You won't be bushwhacking, so you most likely will not damage the rain fly. I don't remember where you are from... but it just doesn't rain here like on the East coast.

I don't bring extra shirts, pants nor extra underpants. Clean clothes just get dirty and sweaty. There is plenty of water and opportunity to wash your clothes out. A bear can makes an excellent washing machine.

Eliminating food sack, shirt, pants, and underpants will save you nearly a pound and a half or 21.85 oz. You're welcome.
    Eliminate the tent footprint and you are coming up on 2 lbs gone.

The permits in both Yosemite and Sequoia Nat'l parks specify that used TP is to be packed out. Wet wipes also take years to biodegrade in the Sierras. I hate seeing TP in the backcountry, so I follow the "packed out TP" rules. I bring TP, but don't especially like carrying used TP. I usually use a backcountry bidet (aka water bottle), rather than TP. Andrew Skurka's "Back country poop clinic" (VERY entertaining and recommended!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwmwxkD86Ec

Best wishes and have fun!

PS... I would bring a mosquito headnet and a little bit of deet.
    Last edited by DLP; 10-11-2014 at 17:04.

You'll need sunscreen.

...and a hiking partner that goes by the name "I'm in love"

Quote Originally Posted by garyp View Post
    stupid auto correct how is your trip planning going? i am using http://jmtbook.com to help me plan my trip. it is the best site for the jmt so far i have found. his book is pretty cool too. nice read actually.
    +1 on Ray's book. A great value for $7.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

I like his blog too Coffee, it is pretty informative and he speaks plain english and he doesn't try to over talk people. that is what I like about him. If he uses an acronym he says what it actually means.

Gear list looks good. I'd add some ziplocks for trash/used TP. I hiked the JMT from 7/29 to 8/19/14. Mosquitos were practically nonexistent, and I only used bug spray one evening. It was reportedly a wetter than usual time for the Sierra, although I only had 2 days where it rained more than a sprinkle. I talked to a hiker who was never more than a half day ahead or behind me, and she reported 16 days of rain. Location and elevation made for huge differences in weather experienced. Instead of rain pants, I carried a ULA rain kilt which worked really well for me.

Two more great planning resources are Elizabeth Wenk's guide book and the JMT Yahoo Group. Feel free to message me if you have more questions.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

I liked this DLP. It's a possible doable based on this person's Aug hike: "I personally have never taken rain pants in the Sierras in August. Most the time, I don't even bring a rain jacket. I just take my tent fly or tarp and wear it Little Red Riding Hood style for the hour or two it rains. You won't be bushwhacking, so you most likely will not damage the rain fly. I don't remember where you are from... but it just doesn't rain here like on the East coast."

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post

I personally have never taken rain pants in the Sierras in August. Most the time, I don't even bring a rain jacket. I just take my tent fly or tarp and wear it Little Red Riding Hood style for the hour or two it rains. You won't be bushwhacking, so you most likely will not damage the rain fly. I don't remember where you are from... but it just doesn't rain here like on the East coast.

Plenty of hikers this yr in July and Aug would differ on this opinion.

It USUALLY doesn't rain like on the east coast. But here's the thing...sometimes it does. I was rained on 4 days out of 12. I know others that were rained on 12 out of 18. Prolonged all day rains too, not short drizzles. I used zero sunscreen as well, relying on clothing hat, sun gloves.

This yr storms in first 2 weeks of Aug were non stop rain, drove some off the trail. Aug 3 Whitney had 2 ft snow, many couldn't summit and had to bail.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-30-2014 at 00:15.

++ New Posts ++