Journal Entries

Default PCT Segment: EBBETTS TO SONORA PASS

Any thoughts about the weather on the PCT Segment: EBBETTS TO SONORA PASS MILES AND ELEVATIONS starting Oct 11th. I'm not familiar with the section or weather.

Once October starts, the weather becomes unstable and unpredictable in the Sierra Nevada. You could have beautiful weather or a major winter storm come in. The odds of a storm go up the later in the month you are. You are in high elevations for that section though you only go over 10,000ft near Sonora Pass. If you aren't use to high elevation, you'll be sucking air alot. The trail is good and it does has some beautiful scenery. Check the weather right up until you leave for any major storm fronts.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    Once October starts, the weather becomes unstable and unpredictable in the Sierra Nevada. You could have beautiful weather or a major winter storm come in. The odds of a storm go up the later in the month you are. You are in high elevations for that section though you only go over 10,000ft near Sonora Pass. If you aren't use to high elevation, you'll be sucking air alot. The trail is good and it does has some beautiful scenery. Check the weather right up until you leave for any major storm fronts.
    I camped at the tip-top of Sonora Pass and thought I was going to get blown off the mountain! It's totally exposed. That was one of the windiest nights on the trail for me. I was glad to get down the next morning and into Bridgeport.

++ New Posts ++