WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default High calorie dog trail treats??

While hiking long days I stop for food breaks but what about the pup. He doesn't seem to eat much of his dog food while on trail for few days. Any high energy/calorie dog treats...he does love eating beef jerky but only has protein sure he needs more ie carbs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a few treats that could work. I have seen dog energy powers becoming more popular and you can even get some at places at petsmart. Another option, if you are willing, is the Yaffbar. Its an energy bar designed for humans and dogs. That way there is only one type of bar to carry. However, I have never used a Yaffbar and only used the Purina energy bars. They worked well enough for a lunch time snack.
    Check out my adventures with my dog BeeGee http://www.adventureswithbg.com.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Just add a small can or packet of catfood into his regular food. Works like a charm.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 10-01-2014 at 19:40.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Thx all will try both, he loves eating our cats food and crap! not packing that... Maybe he can find some bear scat!

Yikes... the weight of canned wet food. *grimace*

For treats between meals I use freeze-dried meats. Super light and enough for an energy boost. His meals provide the nutritional balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtra View Post
    Yikes... the weight of canned wet food. *grimace*

For treats between meals I use freeze-dried meats. Super light and enough for an energy boost. His meals provide the nutritional balance.
    I'll prob just add some dry cat food to his ziplock food bag... I'll also buy more jerky...he didn't care for my cliff bars...

That dog has you trained to provide jerky out on hikes. Admit it, you're whipped.

Cooking oil on the dog food, or cat food. Probably more calories than wet food.
    I hate it when the dog has been snacking on kitty krispies then comes to me all excited breathing on me.
    Then she wonders why she just got put outside.

Yep...he's going to need it if his lil 10" legs are going to carry him on a 21 mile day in a few weeks when we go from glassmine gap to the fontana dam. He's done between 15-17 mpd without any problems....going to use the mushers....need to find a small container to carry a lil bit...any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    ...going to use the mushers....need to find a small container to carry a lil bit...any ideas?
    Something like these? http://www.rei.com/c/small-containers

I like the .25oz and 1oz containers, personally.

One thing our Vet told us was to keep the protein in her food under 19%, said it makes the kidneys work to hard. Not sure how that relates to an active hing dog, just throwin' it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    One thing our Vet told us was to keep the protein in her food under 19%, said it makes the kidneys work to hard. Not sure how that relates to an active hing dog, just throwin' it out there.
    hiking dog

Thx

Please don't take this personally but I would say to find a new vet. Placing a 19% protein limit on a sedentary dog is acceptable but is something I would not recommend for any active dog. Even those that may only be "weekend warriors" on the trail need better than that. A thru-hiking dog would require even greater amounts.

My dog is very active and his protein intake shifts between 35%-45% roughly every day. Since he was 6 weeks old he has been on Redpaw dryfood, primarily their PowerEdge which is made specifically for hard working dogs, but I've been throwing raw diet mixtures into his meals for over a year now too. He is the picture of a healthy working lab. But I would never feed him this feeding mixture if he were a house pet.

http://redpawdogfood.com/poweredge For those that may be curious.

Milkbone and butter flavored Crisco sandwiches. I have been using them for my competitive field and waterfowl guide dogs for decades. Tons of calories, keeps well and inexpensive. Also a petty good weight to calorie ratio!

Please don't take this personally but I would say to find a new vet. Placing a 19% protein limit on a sedentary dog is acceptable but is something I would not recommend for any active dog. Even those that may only be "weekend warriors" on the trail need better than that. A thru-hiking dog would require even greater amounts.

My dog is very active and his protein intake shifts between 35%-45% roughly every day. Since he was 6 weeks old he has been on Redpaw dryfood, primarily their PowerEdge which is made specifically for hard working dogs, but I've been throwing raw diet mixtures into his meals for over a year now too. He is the picture of a healthy working lab. But I would never feed him this feeding mixture if he were a house pet.

http://redpawdogfood.com/poweredge For those that may be curious.
    Nope, not taking it personal at all, thanks Dogtra, was hopin' you'd chime in on this. I should have posed it as a question rather than a statement. We talk so much here about people food and hiker nutrition and requirements, so a discussion on dogs requirements would be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Milkbone and butter flavored Crisco sandwiches. I have been using them for my competitive field and waterfowl guide dogs for decades. Tons of calories, keeps well and inexpensive. Also a petty good weight to calorie ratio!
    Yuck....bet he will love that.....step up from litter box treats...the crisco doesn't give him the squirts?

Nope, not taking it personal at all, thanks Dogtra, was hopin' you'd chime in on this. I should have posed it as a question rather than a statement. We talk so much here about people food and hiker nutrition and requirements, so a discussion on dogs requirements would be a good thing.
    Unfortunately my canine nutritional experience doesn't go as far back as my training does - but I do try to absorb as much as I can. I would also like a canine nutrition discussion to throw ideas back and forth. I'm inclined to draw in the nutritional experts I do know to see what they would say.

Unfortunately my canine nutritional experience doesn't go as far back as my training does - but I do try to absorb as much as I can. I would also like a canine nutrition discussion to throw ideas back and forth. I'm inclined to draw in the nutritional experts I do know to see what they would say.
    ...If you build it they will come.

love that line and philosophy, applies to so many things in life.

Quote Originally Posted by jarrett.morgan View Post
    . However, I have never used a Yaffbar and only used the Purina energy bars. They worked well enough for a lunch time snack.
    What do they taste like?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++