WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Images

Let's not forget Raptelan and family, who made the long haul from Maryland........training that little Coyote for the big walk!

Images

Glad to hear everyone had fun. Got held PA and it would have made my already short trip even shorter. Definitely was sweet weather this year.

Images

Coyote.JPG

Coyote and his Dad fueling up at the Bear Mtn. AYCE

Sunrise from near Fingerboard shelter -- Sunday AM
    20160117_073726.jpg
    Saturday AM at Stockbridge shelter
    20160116_100009.jpg
    Saturday AM at Stockbridge shelter
    20160116_095934.jpg

It was great to do this trip and put some real faces and personalities with the folks who post here. Really an amazing collection of backgrounds and experiences represented.

Cyrus (my pooch) and I also joined 1azarus, Elf and GG for the West Mountain portion and got to see just how wrong a weather forecast can be. The snow showers started within minutes of our arrival, and then seemed to be intensifying to the point that we were wondering just how wrong the forecast might've been. Fortunately I was able to check a weather radar (good 4G signal up there!) and could see that we weren't going to get a lot. But the wind really picked up and the stern breeze combined with the 7°F reading on my thermometer made it a pretty frosty morning. The frigid wind inspired a hasty pack-up, and after that we made it back down to the Anthony Wayne parking area very quickly, although GG, as he had planned, stayed a little longer up at the shelter for a more leisurely start to the day.

Since we didn't have breakfast (or even coffee!) 1azarus, Elf and I went to Westchester Diner in Buchanan, NY, home of the Indian Point Nuclear Generating Plant.

Photos. 1) Mr Coffee had to bug out early for work, but not before he treated us to his namesake brew, and it was fantastic! 2) Sarcasm the Elf getting snowed on! 3) Cyrus in the tent, out of the wind. 4) I just noticed what a fashion clash my cook kit presents.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cmoulder; 01-18-2016 at 17:10. Reason: edit: of course, the photo captions are all reversed!

Images

MrCoffee's coffee was a god send saturday morning! Couldn't have asked for anything better! It was a nice weekend. Great to put faces to people that you always see on here.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Indeed, it was another good time..........not a big hike....but agood time to get out, camp, see friends!

Laz, The Elf. and GG went to West Mtn. LI Hikers are out there somewhere!
    We spent Sunday night at William Brien shelter because it was a shorter walk back to our car, on route 6, than West Mountain would have been.
    We had a good time with new friends and old and enjoyed the winter get away.

AT 2012

...and now, here's to next year!
    Lazarus

Images

I'll drink to that, it's time for my morning coffee anyway

Lou got the best picture of us, though for some reason my peering eyes seem to be stretching my head:

It was great to get out with the Keron in some colder weather, though I am still longing for some real stormy conditions. Pitched well after dark in the rain on the first night; had time to do a better job the second night:

Mr. Coffee's coffee was indeed great stuff - I realized just how much when drinking the watery stuff at Bear Mountain Inn later on... It was great to see another Tioga on the trail - after this trip I am so pleased with it that my Deuter is going to get returned! It carried 65lbs like a champ. After the difficulty holding my umbrella over it and me in the rain though, when I got home I figured out how to secure the umbrella to the pack frame so I don't have to fuss with it:

It was a really enjoyable time being out on the trail and yet another opportunity to try out and tweak our gear. It was very nice to meet new friends and hear stories from others!

Raptelan, your daughter is amazing. At the age of 13 months, she already has the demeanor of a hiker (calm and cheerful).

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    Raptelan, your daughter is amazing. At the age of 13 months, she already has the demeanor of a hiker (calm and cheerful).
    It's a boy, actually. But thank you for the compliment. It was great to meet you as well even if we did not get the opportunity to hike together!

Oops. Maybe I should just have said "child" instead of guessing at the gender. One year, before I get too decrepit, climate change will probably serve up a mid-January weekend that is warm and sunny. When that happens, I'll brave it with the rest of you.

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    ...and now, here's to next year!
    Yar, ended up with a fourday weekend, unfortunately it was due to a death in the family.
    So... to next year indeed.

Glad you guys had a nice trip with a fine group though!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Bump.

Looking forward to seeing you all in 2017!
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

i hope to make it this year bummed i missed last year

Will try to travel in from California... ;-)

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Laz had mentioned he might not make it on that weekend this year. Any chance of a change-up?
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

AT 2012

the weekend after MLK would work for me, but I am hesitant to suggest changing something that has worked...
    Lazarus

Is this the Freeze Your Buns Off at a state park named for a President? Not the one in Idaho.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++