WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26
    Images

I hope to be in for the northern winter trek, I'll put in for the days off tomorrow.
    I'll bring the blackberry brandy, it warms you from the inside out.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    I guess the real question is will Overload make 2 cheesecakes as I'm sure the northern crew will want some too.
    Coach has created a monster If she's willing to supply one this year, I promise to leave the stomach bug home when I go through CT to grab it!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Coach has created a monster If she's willing to supply one this year, I promise to leave the stomach bug home when I go through CT to grab it!
    She made 3 for this past holiday

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I expect to be but it's too soon for me to be sure given family life.
    I'll bring the Bourbon.
    No you won't

Images

i have briefly chatted with friends about MLK VI. Maybe explore the southern part of Harriman Park. Last year we finished in Skanatati Lake parking lot, this year starting there and heading south to either trail head near Sloatsburg. i will post a map tomorrow of the area. There will be 3 shelters and many loops in a 8 mile radius. In a few years we may run out of trails in Harriman and may have to go north to The Catskills!.................................................. .......

Images

Sorry Teach.....I just realized this was The MLK sII thread and not the MLK general thread!

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    i have briefly chatted with friends about MLK VI. Maybe explore the southern part of Harriman Park. Last year we finished in Skanatati Lake parking lot, this year starting there and heading south to either trail head near Sloatsburg. i will post a map tomorrow of the area. There will be 3 shelters and many loops in a 8 mile radius. In a few years we may run out of trails in Harriman and may have to go north to The Catskills!.................................................. .......
    Three shelters between Skannatati and Sloatsburg - we were at Bald Rocks last time, so you're talking about Tom Jones and Dutch Doctor? (As I said above, that could be nice, Claudius Smith, and Almost Perpendicular, and the Blue Disc out to Johnsontown) I think of that as the western part of Harriman Park. When I say the 'southern part', I think of the Ramapo Torne between Suffern and Mount Ivy, and Pine Meadow to the west. That would depend on the conditions. A lot of the Suffern-Bear Mountain trail is pretty sketchy if there's ice, and I think it's a good idea to keep the MLK trip fairly newbie-friendly. Even Malto had a scary fall on the trek from Big Hill over Pyngyp to West Mountain a couple or three years back.

Or we could try to hit Elf's stomping ground. The South Taconic range is lovely on snowshoes. Drag Elf over to Alander because he does Race and Everett all the time and never gets to the west side of the range.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

AT 2012

ok. I think it is time to ask (beg?) Another Kevin to plan this year's outing. MLK weekend isn't that far off. For simplicity's sake, I suggest we go to Harriman again. (and I, for one, want to make reservations for my wife at the bear mountain inn!) Oh great planner AK, you up to the task?
    Lazarus

If desired, I can assist AK by perhaps sketching out something based on Coach Lou's recommendation and AK's comments.

I've done a couple of these events and it seems that a good number of folks arrive Friday afternoon/evening, more arrive on Saturday with most departing after the Bear Mt Inn brunch Sunday, and very few remain to hike Sunday afternoon, camp Sunday night and depart Monday morning.

With that in mind, might I suggest Dutch Doctor as the destination for Friday evening, Tom Jones shelter for Saturday evening and Bald Rocks for Sunday evening, easily approached from the parking areas at either Tiorati Circle or Lake Skannatati.

I would recommend Dutch Doctor first because it is very easy to access from the parking circle at the end of Johnsontown Road and is a very easy hike in on the White Bar trail. This shelter is a fave of scouts and of NYC hipsters, so IME it's best to snag that one the first night. From there, there are many options for the hike up to Tom Jones shelter, and folks can make it an easy hike or harder/longer by stitching together different loops. Those who want to do a longer day of it Friday could park at Lake Skannatati and hike down to Dutch Doctor.

Those arriving Saturday could park at Johnsontown Road circle and hike in to Dutch Doctor join the Friday crew, or could park at one of the large parking lots at the junction of Rt 17 and 17K and hike in on the orange-blazed Parker Cabin Trail and link up with other trails to make it to Tom Jones shelter, OR park at Skannatati and hike in to Tom Jones. (Just a note: Rt 106/Kanawauke Rd is closed in winter between Rt 17 and Lake Kanawauke, so forget those parking areas there as options! The parking lot at Lake Kanawauke itself is open/plowed in the winter, but there are no legal, marked trails that hook up with the trail network. Some of you people are keenly aware of this, lol )

Sunday morning brunch at Bear Mt Inn would be more of a logistical challenge due to the vehicle shuttling aspect and simply because the hiking is being done in the southwest part of the park and Bear Mt Inn is very far northeast, in Bear Mountain State Park. But I'm guessing a lot of this could be worked out Saturday night amongst ourselves. The shuttle between Lake Skannatati and Johnsontown circle is not bad at all.

Of course, this is just a suggestion and any and all comments and revisions are welcome. Or you can look at a map and cook up whatever you like.

Maybe we should start getting a solid/probable head count to include what nights folks intend to camp?
    Last edited by cmoulder; 12-18-2017 at 18:10.

AT 2012

I'm in for at least friday and saturday night, and happy to stay out sunday night as well if others are, but I have devastating news. The Bear Mountain Inn is booked solid for the weekend, so my "Snivelling out" out to crawl into bed with my wife just disappeared! cmoulder, thanks for jumping in and I say please continue.
    Lazarus

Images

This entire area has 4 parking areas around the perimeter. I like it..................there will be cheesecake.

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    This entire area has 4 parking areas around the perimeter. I like it..................there will be cheesecake.
    Mmmm.... that alone is worth the price of admission!

Images

Lou said he wanted to explore the southern part of the park.
    East of Seven Lakes Drive you can go farther south but there are less trails to choose from.
    There is Stone Memorial shelter but there may be legal camping at the south west corner the lake (Pine Meadow lake? ) at the ruins of the old CCC camp.
    Kathy and I camped there early this year as there was a yellow disc with the picture of a tent. What else would that mean, right. And there's water to be had from the lake.
    Parking could be at the Ramapo Equestrian Center or at the Ditzler Road trail head or Reeves Meadow visitor center

On the west side of Seven Lakes Drive the Dutch Doctor shelter is the most southern place to camp.
    The park doesn't go as far south but there are more trails to choose from.
    Parking could be at Johnstown Circle or the Revees Meadow visitor center

We could do something different this year and spend both Friday and Saturday night at the same place.
    Hike in Friday and set up camp. Do a loop hike on Saturday finishing where we started from. Hike out on Sunday morning and drive to the Inn.

Kathy and I will be spending Sunday night in the park if anyone wants to join us.
    We'll probably leave the car in the lot by the Inn and hike up to West Mountain.

WARNING: This is all from a 65 year old's memory without aid of a map.

Images

OOPPS sorry.
    I see that CMOULDER has already laid out a plan.
    If I understand correctly it's
    Friday night at nDutch Doctor
    Saturday night at Tom Jones
    Sunday to the Inn for brunch
    Sunday night Kathy and I will be staying in the park, all are invited to join us.

No problem, mine is also just a suggestion to get things rolling... less than 3 weeks away, though!

Unfortunately, Pine Meadow Lake is actually illegal for camping, although I myself have camped there and did not realize it for quite some time. I always approached from Ramapo Equestrian Center and not Reeves Meadow, where there are some signs posted indicating this in no uncertain terms.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26
++ New Posts ++