WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Kev...you know I'm in!!! And I am here to throw something in the pot.... How about we Base camp sort of maybe the new West Mtn. shelter and loop around the general State park area for those few days. Those that want to finish the AT part can do that.......most folks need to walk the relo to have now 'thrued NY'. @ the NY/NJ annual meeting, I picked up a very good South Hudson walk book! Anyway....that's my 2cents.
    Hmm. West Mountain can be VERY windy that time of year, and I don't have your fancy-schmantzy WM sleeping bag. But sure, that sounds like a plan.

There are a ton of nice shortish loops that can be done from there, with a lot of cool archaeology. The Cornell and Edison mines, the Dunderberg Spiral Railway, Doodletown, the 1777 trails are all in reach. If I'm planning the thing, I think I'd suggest spotting at least one car down on 9W so that those who want short miles can exit from there without having to climb back up Dunderberg/Timp.

If memory serves, there's also a less exposed campsite (marked with an F for 'fireplace' on the trail maps) down in the Timp Pass, near where the Ramapo-Dunderberg, Timp-Torne and 1777 trails all come together. Tenters might prefer that one to get out of the wind. (Even the rangers haven't been able to tell me whether that site is lawful; the rule is, "camp at established campsites only," and nobody seems to know for the permanent sites that don't have shelters whether they're "established" or not.) Of course, that wouldn't get West Mountain's great view of NYC.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Oh, yeah, and as much as I'd like to include a visit to Jackie Jones Mountain, I am not leading this group over the south side of Pingyp in the winter. It's pretty scrambly - certainly harder than the Lemon Squeezer. I could manage it pretty readily, I think (I've done winter 4000-footers), but not with folks that haven't scrambled on icy rock before, and I expect there may be a few.

Forget the side-trips or thru-hiking noo yawk. Just let me know where the cheese cake is gonna be.

If I can come, I'll commit a 4wd pickup that carries up to six in the cab parked somewhere for a bailout.
    And beer.
    Though I'm still in a gotta get away from work stage for me though.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Hmm. West Mountain can be VERY windy that time of year, and I don't have your fancy-schmantzy WM sleeping bag. But sure, that sounds like a plan.

There are a ton of nice shortish loops that can be done from there, with a lot of cool archaeology. The Cornell and Edison mines, the Dunderberg Spiral Railway, Doodletown, the 1777 trails are all in reach. If I'm planning the thing, I think I'd suggest spotting at least one car down on 9W so that those who want short miles can exit from there without having to climb back up Dunderberg/Timp.

If memory serves, there's also a less exposed campsite (marked with an F for 'fireplace' on the trail maps) down in the Timp Pass, near where the Ramapo-Dunderberg, Timp-Torne and 1777 trails all come together. Tenters might prefer that one to get out of the wind. (Even the rangers haven't been able to tell me whether that site is lawful; the rule is, "camp at established campsites only," and nobody seems to know for the permanent sites that don't have shelters whether they're "established" or not.) Of course, that wouldn't get West Mountain's great view of NYC.
    I was not aware of a spot generally around The Shelter, but I would be fine with being out of the wind.

For a group that is.

AT 2012

I just touched macafee knob. There. I had to say that somewhere. Cool day for this old man.

Very excited to see you all again.
    Lazarus

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Congrats Laz! Where's your picture. You can make it topic-appropriate by saying "we won't be hiking here in Jan" !
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

AT 2012

Here's the picture. Soooo many more people than the last time I was there. Was on a road trip to Florida so just did a run up and tag on the way by. Thought I'd never be by there again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lazarus

Images

Such a beautiful spot.

Laz......I have been researching The Doodletown Rock Shelter..............Kevin will probably send me the GPS coordinates

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Kevin will probably send me the GPS coordinates
    Not since I learnt that you think GPS is a four letter word!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    Here's the picture. Soooo many more people than the last time I was there. Was on a road trip to Florida so just did a run up and tag on the way by. Thought I'd never be by there again.

Nice pic 'n all, Laz....but where are YOU?
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

I've always wondered somethin' about that ole MacAfee kanob. If your standin' at the edge of it (as so many do) and look down, is there rocks down below?

....uh huh!

Journal Entries
    Images

Trees....lots of trees....very far below.

Images

So 'Socks......are you in for MLK weekend? There's cheescake in it for ya!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Not since I learnt that you think GPS is a four letter word!

Images

i don't imagine the Elf making this one. Right about now is when my backpacking tailed off

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Trees....lots of trees....very far below.
    Yeah, that whole gravity thing is what's throwin' me.

So 'Socks......are you in for MLK weekend? There's cheescake in it for ya!
    Honestly, if I had to make the call today, naw, I'm hurt...way outta shape, but I got it penciled in. And that cheese cake is dangerous, the two pieces I had to help the effort and lighten your load (freakin' thing weighs a ton) left me to full for diner....well we all know what happens when ya fill up on sweets and it's 18 degrees out, woke up freezing my kahonis off. Next time just one piece for me, but damn was it good!

i don't imagine the Elf making this one. Right about now is when my backpacking tailed off
    same, and my overtime hours kicked in for like 18 years. was a great run though.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Yeah, that whole gravity thing is what's throwin' me.

Honestly, if I had to make the call today, naw, I'm hurt...way outta shape, but I got it penciled in. And that cheese cake is dangerous, the two pieces I had to help the effort and lighten your load (freakin' thing weighs a ton) left me to full for diner....well we all know what happens when ya fill up on sweets and it's 18 degrees out, woke up freezing my kahonis off. Next time just one piece for me, but damn was it good!
    This trip there may be single nite short walk options.............it's still being bantered around.

This trip there may be single nite short walk options.............it's still being bantered around.
    Now that may be more in line of what I'm able to do, maybe I'll just come up for an over nighter. I haven't been out since last year.

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++