Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default FNST section day hikes resuming

It looks like my Florida trail section day hike will resume this weekend! For those new to the Florida Trail section of this forum, I am hiking the Florida Trail as a series of day hikes, parking my car at one trailhead and bicycling (electric bike) to another trailhead, then hiking back. Now that I am getting a little far to go home every night I try to find a cheap motel and do it again the next day. Then the drive home which is close to 5 hours now.

An online search turned up what appears to be a decent motel in Silver Springs, about 30-40 miles from where I will resume hiking in the Ocala National Forest, at $38 per night. The reviews were all positive. I’ve used state campgrounds but prefer a motel for a variety of reasons. Also, I have a new car now (2014 Chevy Sonic LT hatchback with 1.4 turbo and 6 speed stick) so I won’t be as concerned about breaking down. That was always in the back of my mind before.

I’ll be taking a couple of days off work so should be able to knock out around 35 miles. My only real concern right now are the rain chances Friday and Saturday morning. I’ll be driving Saturday morning and hope to get in 10 hopefully-not-too-soggy miles Saturday afternoon. Another 10 or so on Sunday, 14 on Monday, then 3.5 on Tuesday morning before my drive home, about 5 hours.

The next two hikes look to be around 10-12 miles each so good for a future weekend, then it looks like it might be getting close to more urban areas as I circle east around Orlando. If anyone is interested in joining me for 10-15 mile hikes, especially in the urban areas, let me know. My concern isn’t so much the hike but the shuttle. I am not fond of bicycling/shuttling in traffic but I’m sure I’ll manage. I’m also open to inexpensive, clean motel recommendations close to the trail as it passes east of Orlando.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

That's a very cool thing you've got going on! Sounds like a fun way to get out.

Remind me again, where did you leave and re-starting?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I originally began at Bradwell Bay in the Apalachicola National Forest. I am working my way to the southern terminus. Then I'll pick it up at the northern terminus near Pensacola and work my way south to the Bradwell Bay again. I ended last season just past where the trail splits to go around Orlando. I picked the east side of the loop and am a few miles in but still in the Ocala National Forest.

Way to go Perry! Keep it up!
    Maintainer of the Unofficial Trail GPS Map Page(Updated 3-8-16) Now updated with the Florida Trail, Lone Star Hiking Trail, Arizona Trail, and Appalachian Trail.

I made it back in one piece. I circled the bombing range on the new re-route. I know it was new as nothing matched the map and a guy came along on a mountain bike with GPS. Apparently he has a contract to GPS the entire trail. I use to fantasize that there was job GPS-ing existing trails and laying out new trails. Apparently such gigs really do exist, at least in contract form. I think I found my retirement business (I hope to retire in 5 yrs, 9 months, and 19 days, not that I'm counting).

In the end I got in approximately 37 miles. Next time I'll be picking it up a Alexander Springs heading south. Hopefully I can schedule another weekend trip in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

A guy on a mountain bike on the FT?? And claimed he had a contract to GPS the entire trail? Interesting, wasn't aware that the FTA had contracted anyone to do that. It used to be that the FTA section leaders would GPS their sections.
    Maintainer of the Unofficial Trail GPS Map Page(Updated 3-8-16) Now updated with the Florida Trail, Lone Star Hiking Trail, Arizona Trail, and Appalachian Trail.

I had the impression (maybe he said) his contract was with the state but I don't recall for sure. His website is florc.com.

Sounds like you're doing really well. When you get a little further south I may join up with you!

It looks like I'll be back in the Ocala National Forest from Thursday (tomorrow) through Saturday. I hope to get in around 30 miles or so.

I forgot to mention, the motel in Silver Springs worked out well. It is right out of 1975. Reasonably clean if a bit worn and with a few cigarette burns on the night stand, quiet, no rif-raf, virtually non-existent wifi (got a cell signal to check email), broken ice maker, and the cheapest place around. About $42.50 per night including all taxes and the sign advertised $199 per week. The only problem is my hikes are getting a bit far. I anticipate 45 minute drives this weekend. I may stay here one or two more times but pretty soon the extra gas will justify getting a closer-to-where-I-am motel at a slightly higher rate. A brief search using booking.com and a couple of others makes it look like I will be paying in the vicinity of $65 per night as I make my way south.

As I said before, anyone is welcome to join. Perhaps I should qualify that. Anyone fit enough to walk 10+ miles and possessing some hiking experience so they know what they are getting themselves into is welcome to join.

As I was getting ready to bike a ranger approached and told me there was a disabled hunt going on and the following section of trail was not officially closed, but it would be nice to let them have their hunt so I ended up cutting my trip short by a day. So I only got in 22 miles instead of my anticipated 30.

There was a lot of road walking, some along pavement and some unpaved. As I climbed over a gate from an unpaved section to what appeared to be an old forest road, I looked ahead and spotted a bear spotting me on the road/trail about a hundred yards away. After the initial surprise I managed to have the presence of mind to pull out my camera. As I stood there for what seemed like a while but was probably only a few seconds, the bear stretched his neck to get a better look at me. At this point it occurred to me that perhaps I should not be so close. I pulled out my Sound Defense and it worked surprisingly well. I ended up ‘sounding’ every few minutes for the next hour to be sure the bears knew I was there.

In the spirit of "pictures or it didn't happen", here you go:

BearONF101714_zps60e8eafd.jpg

I got back out Friday and Saturday. Saturday was all paved bike path so I went a little quick. The combination of pavement and extra speed did a number on my legs and I was almost unable to walk Sunday and Monday. The pain was substantial. I saw my chiropractor on Monday afternoon and that along with ice and heat and I am doing much better now, but I will not be hiking Veteran's Day weekend as planned. I think a couple of weeks of taking it easy is in order. Hopefully I can get back out over the Thanksgiving Day weekend.

We need to get in contact. I am completing the Florida trail in sections also on my weekends off. Have done all from loop road (which I understand has been decommissioned) in the cypress Swamp to Hampton, Florida just above Goldhead branch state park. I have part of Lake okeechobee to finish from John Stretch Park to Lakeport, then Okee- Tantee rec area to Micco Landing. Plan to do those as day hikes and stay in Motel as due to construction around lake the hike will be challenging enough to finish. I have done bits and pieces of the northern section - need to finish up Eglin and Nokuse, Holt to Harrold - nasty road walk. Keep me in mind, we may be able to help with shuttling if we can agree on a hike. I did the western terminus around ocala area as that is where I live - about 5 miles from trail in Green Swamp.

I just got back form finishing up the Tosahatchee WMA and part of the roadwalk to the Bull Creek WMA. I anticipate my next hike will be the remaining roadwalk (about 9-10 miles) to the Bull Creek WMA and the Bull Creek WMA itself. Hopefully this will be the second or third week of January. I have been doing the entire trail as a series of day hikes (meaning I stay in a motel every night) and hope to finish it this way for no other reason other than this is how I started.

I began in the Apalachicola National Forest and have been working my way southbound. Hopefully either next or the season after I will make it to the southern terminus, then I will head to the northern terminus (Fort Pickens) and work my way home.

sounds like a awesome way to see the florida trail cant wait to read the updates hopeing to do the ocala section my self soon!!!!!

Images

I have hiked the entire ONF if you need any info I may be able to help.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Quote Originally Posted by Ladytrekker View Post
    I have hiked the entire ONF if you need any info I may be able to help.
    How well is the onf section blazed....shuttle reccs? Do you need a trail map or the new guthook iPhone map? Current water sources? Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

The ONF is well marked with orange blazes. This has been a wet year and the ponds should have enough water in them. I don't know of any shuttle service there at this time. I hike with a group so we always self shuttle. I always use a map for info of mileage, blue trails, campsites, trail heads, etc. You can camp anywhere in the ONF. You can order the map for 6.95 from the Florida trail association online. Maps 19 & 20 it's two sided so you just purchase one map.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Images

Other water sources are blue trail to 88 store, salt springs, different primitive campgrounds positioned along the trail, juniper springs rec area, ponds and streams

Images

I'm watching websites to see the dates posted for the rainbow family gathering it's usually in February March and they take over the forest they are meeting on the 23rd to announce a date and location according to one facebook page. I have hiked thru their camps one year interesting to say the least. Hippy format, nudity, drugs, people everywhere unleashed dogs I would prefer to hike when their not there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++