WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I don't recall the last one being that impressive. I watched it at school with two notebook cards with a hole on the top one . got a little dim, less than a good thunderstorm.
    Something tells me that you didn't see a Total eclipse then, partial eclipses are a dime a dozen. It is very rare to live anywhere near a Total eclipse, that's why this one is very special. It should be very dark, only the sun's corona visible. Not everyone's cup of tea, of course, but I'm very excited.

Images

My guess? Probably working.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    One tricky little move is all... here's me down climbing it, but remember, Borah is a 5500 vertical foot climb in 3 miles, so be ready for that! Cool place though...
    Colorado Rob, Of course what that picture does not show is the mountain dropping off thousands of feet on either side of that ridge. That would make me pause.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Colorado Rob, Of course what that picture does not show is the mountain dropping off thousands of feet on either side of that ridge. That would make me pause.
    It is not really exposed anywhere, meaning if you fell, you'd maybe break a leg or arm, but you would not fall off into oblivion. Still, being on top of a big mountain like Borah is probably not a good idea for an eclipse, because big mountains tend to generate their own weather (air rising and cooling and condensing), and you certainly don't want cloudy weather! I think best to stick with plains and deserts. but climb Borah sometime anyway, cool little mountain and a state high point (my wife and I are doing the 50 state high points, got all the hard ones done, just got the Midwest and east left).

Images

Just wanted to bump this....

If you want to see the 2017 eclipse, you had better be making your plans now.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Made plans last year! Have family down in TN just a few miles from the path of totality... even bought the eclipse viewing glasses already.

Going to do Savage Gulf while I'm there, but I'm going to break that news to my wife later, lol.

Looks like Rabun Bald (2nd highest peak in GA) will be a perfect spot if it's clear. Standing Indian and Big Scaly in the Southern Nantahala Wilderness are also contenders.

I made plans in March 2016.
    www.eclipse2017.org

Good viewing will be between Winding Stair Gap and Plumborchard Gap.
    Did some GPS markers in March 2016.
    I would really like to be in Depot Bay, Oregon. That is the bulls eye. You get to watch the shadow come across the ocean at you.
    Fontana is a little to north only about 90%
    The "total tunnel" is only a couple miles wide.
    Standing Indian will be in the 93% range. Franklin is in the 85 to 90% range.
    Let us all hope that the weather is clear.
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

Hopefully still Thru-hiking the AT...probably in Maine by that point...boy, I hope it's a sunny day!

Outside .
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I don't understand science stuff very much, but according to this chart, it appears the eclipse will be most viewable in the path with the lines.... ? I might be in France then, and it appears it will not really be visible, correct? (not that I am bitchin' ... France will be a great place to visit! Just wanted to check!)

Images

If all goes according to plan, somewhere near Whitehouse Landing in northern Maine...with only a few more days until Katahdin. I'll have to enjoy photos of it...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Not sure really where I'll be. I only live 90 minutes north of the total eclipse path in Wyoming so I'll probably just drive south to Pathfinder Reservoir and watch it there.

I plan to be on the steps of our nations capital showing our vaunted congress I can make the sun vanish. That will be easy, convincing them to fund trail maintenance or i won't bring it back will be slightly harder but worth the energy.

That approach worked for another Connecticut Yankee, didn't it?

I'll be on Roan Mountain.

Images

Flights have been purchased, my plans are in place, I should be viewing the eclipse from PCT on August 21st. Praying for a clear day!

John Greenleaf Whittier

It will be directly over me. Our County is bracing for thousands of visitors. All hotel/motel rooms and rental cabins are booked right around that time. I think it will be a lot like w2k.

How about Clingmans Dome?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jgillam View Post
    How about Clingmans Dome?
    You need tickets for Clingman's Dome that day, and they are already sold out. Might not be the best plan to view the eclipse in the Smokies anyway, given the likelihood of cloudy weather. I would expect tremendous traffic and gridlock in the Smokies if the weather looks good.

John Greenleaf Whittier

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++