WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Campsites north of Thornton Gap

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew of good campsites a 3-6 mi north of Thornton Gap? I'm doing a short section hike and am getting dropped off at the gap. It is only 1 mi to Pass Mountain Hut, which is kind of short even for a first day but about 14 miles to Gravel Springs Hut which is kind of far, thinking 3-6 miles would be good. Anything around Jeremy's run? Looks like there is water at Byrds nest but not sure about camping near a picnic area.

Thanks

Byrds Nest 4 is on a side trail shortly north of Beahms Gap but is day use only. One potential option might be to camp at the Matthews Arm developed campground reached by a side trail from the Elkwallow Wayside. The campground closes on October 26 according the facilities schedule:

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisi...g-schedule.htm

Shenandoah National Park publishes a number of trip plan suggestions. One of the trip plans refers to possible backcountry sites in the vicinity of the AT/Jeremy's Run junction: http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisi...r_day_A105.pdf (PDF)

The relevant commentary is listed below. I have hiked in this area many times but never specifically attempted to find the level areas they mention. Might be a better plan to go to Matthews Arm since it isn't too far from this location.

You will see a marked spring near the Jeremys Run Trail intersection.
    From the cement post, head northeast, following the contour of the mountain (staying level):
    You’ll find some level areas to camp in this area. Be sure to stay well away from the developed
    Elkwallow Picnic Area.

All SNP trip plans:

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisi..._all_entry.htm

Hope this helps.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

i did this hike a few weeks ago and stayed at Matthews arm campground. there are a few spots a mile or two before the side trail from the wayside to the campground. when i checked in the ranger asked me color and make of vehicle. i thought about it a minute and said um blue vasque. all the rangers broke out laughing.lol

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

I know this is an old thread, but there are a number of good campsites along Jeremy's Run. The first is 50yds north of the intersection with Neighbor Mtn trail. Just before the trail makes its last water crossing and heads up to elkwallow, there's a large campsite. In between those two points I saw maybe 3-4 established sites.

++ New Posts ++