WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trail Running in SNP

So I have an opportunity to go to Shenandoah this coming weekend but I also have a scheduled long run for my upcoming marathon. Thinking outside the box, it occurred to me that I could combine these things by figuring out a trail running route. I've hiked quite a bit in SNP but haven't done much trail running. So I'm looking for a route that isn't too difficult in terms of the trail tread or elevation changes and is about 16 miles long give or take a mile. I'd prefer something in the north district but central would be OK as well. My initial thought is to park near the Little Hogback overlook, head down Keyser Run Fire Road, turn south on Hull School Trail and take that to Beahms Gap where I would connect to the AT and return to my car. I haven't checked yet but I think that might be slightly short of my distance goal but maybe close enough. I've hiked most of that loop except for portions of the Keyser Run Fire Road and Hull School trails which would be new to me. Does this seem like a good option or are there other suggestions that I should consider? Thanks.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

You may want to check for a Facebook based regional trail running group. I'm not sure about the SNP area, but certainly Roanoke and Lynchburg each have very active groups and plenty of people that could suggest runs of desired distance, terrain, etc.

Images

Add the Mathews Arm Campground trail to the Traces Nature Trail which encircles the campground, then continue on, back to the AT behind Elkwallow Wayside. Turn north back to Hogback at SDMP 20.

Not sure about the mileage but the Nature Trail is a cinch. I certain the Matthew Arms Trail is pretty level also.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Add the Mathews Arm Campground trail to the Traces Nature Trail which encircles the campground, then continue on, back to the AT behind Elkwallow Wayside. Turn north back to Hogback at SDMP 20.

Not sure about the mileage but the Nature Trail is a cinch. I certain the Matthew Arms Trail is pretty level also.
    Great idea, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Thanks. Some great options at that link including a run in the Mt Marshall area incorporating the AT which is a nice area.

Where are you located in VA? Just curious.

I'm located near DC. Actually I do most of my running along the Potomac both on the VA and DC sides.

++ New Posts ++