WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Medical Issues and Hiking the AT

I suffered a lateral tibial plateau fracture last June on Mt. Madison. Next we had a tough winter. Then I developed several medical problems. During that time I sprained, fractured and tore a ligament in my left ankle in May of this year. I want to start getting ready to finish the trail next Summer. The things that are holding me back ( since Oct '13 ) are Dysphasia, Gastroparesis, Chronic Constipation and Urinary (only go after sleeping) problems. I become nauseated during a fifteen minute walk which makes it hard to exercise.
    Has anyone had these problems? If so, do you have any advice to share that was helpful to you?
    Seek, and you shall find.

Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKER- View Post
    ... Dysphasia, Gastroparesis, Chronic Constipation and Urinary (only go after sleeping) problems. I become nauseated ...
    What has your doctor told you? These are symptoms attributable to specific disease states but can also be attributed to medications.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    What has your doctor told you? These are symptoms attributable to specific disease states but can also be attributed to medications.
    Urologist blame the constipation. GI says it is a MOTILITY DISORDER. Put on a new, very expensive medication for constipation, that doesn't help.
    At this point I either don't eat or use a liquid diet.
    Seek, and you shall find.

Consider consulting a pharmacist. Many medications can disrupt GI motility and most insurance plans will pay for a one to one meeting with a pharmacist to evaluate your entire medication regimen (RX, OTC and nutritional supplements). For example, many MDs wouldn't recognized that a new inhaler for COPD could cause a GI issue.

Consider getting a referral to an Endocrinologist. You may be experiencing a hormonal change.

Perhaps your GI doctor has already suggested these steps. I wish you luck in finding some resolution.

++ New Posts ++