WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Dog Toy of Choice

Hello again, everyone.

I'm curious as to what toy each of you would bring with you for a thru-hike. Personally I think I'll be going with the Chuckit! Zipflight (Small). My dog isn't picky on toys but he does love retrieving and swimming. So something that can combine the two when available is a must. While he is a large breed, the toy will serve its purpose in a small size.

I understand some people wouldn't even carry the additional weight of a toy. That's fine. But I would.

So what is your dog toy of choice?

Shelter mice keep my jrt busy!!! No need for a toy for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only solo section hike...usually do 15+ mpd when we get to camp were both ready for the sack.. On our tins mtn section last February he went inside the tent before I even had set up.....asleep before I was done w rain fly ..this was the next day ..

Roan mtn

I never take any. My pup has no desire to play with toys when we are outdoors, she only likes toys when we are inside. She would walk herself to death if I let her.
    Check out my adventures with my dog BeeGee http://www.adventureswithbg.com.

I normally don't bring any either but a kong with a jar of peanut butter would be my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    I normally don't bring any either but a kong with a jar of peanut butter would be my choice.
    I second this ward loves a kong with pb!
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Heh... I shouldn't be surprised, I suppose. However what you're describing is more of a treat and not a toy. A treat we humans have been so kind as to make insufferably difficult to finish. Not arguing that for many dogs it works well but it is still in the realm of..... "Here. Take this, go away, and don't bother me until you're done."

Could use a kong with a rope as a tug and retrieve toy... but I think it would be too heavy for me to want to hike with.

I knew there would be people that don't take toys because they feel their dog doesn't need it and/or their dog would be too tired to care for it. Suppose I just have a high drive freak of nature for a canine companion... 'cause he is still up for working for his toy after long days.

What kind of jacket is that?
    Toys? What about bears and other people's tents. Oh! yeah they are hard to carry with you.
    Never mind !!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtra View Post
    Heh... I shouldn't be surprised, I suppose. However what you're describing is more of a treat and not a toy. A treat we humans have been so kind as to make insufferably difficult to finish. Not arguing that for many dogs it works well but it is still in the realm of..... "Here. Take this, go away, and don't bother me until you're done."

Could use a kong with a rope as a tug and retrieve toy... but I think it would be too heavy for me to want to hike with.

I knew there would be people that don't take toys because they feel their dog doesn't need it and/or their dog would be too tired to care for it. Suppose I just have a high drive freak of nature for a canine companion... 'cause he is still up for working for his toy after long days.

The kong is used for stimulation of the mind, which in turn is a form of exercise. I do understand some toys are impossible to get the treats from but I'm not sure a kong falls on that class. Certainly not "insufferably difficult" in my observation.

My dog does still play when we get to camp (most of the time) but their are thousands of toys readily available without having to carry one in (sticks).

after about 100-200 miles, got rid of the dog pack & carried all my dogs gear and food, i would of carried a toy, but she wasn't interested.
    she loved to chew sticks mostly in camp but on breaks too

Hello again, everyone.

I'm curious as to what toy each of you would bring with you for a thru-hike. Personally I think I'll be going with the Chuckit! Zipflight (Small). My dog isn't picky on toys but he does love retrieving and swimming. So something that can combine the two when available is a must. While he is a large breed, the toy will serve its purpose in a small size.

I understand some people wouldn't even carry the additional weight of a toy. That's fine. But I would.

So what is your dog toy of choice?
    .....a Cat

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    .....a Cat

Knew that was coming!

Knew that was coming!
    my dog made me do it, or spend all day tomorrow behind the rug cleaner. I do like cats too our dog like my daughters old little stuffed anumal collection, she won't go near em unless they'er presented to her as hers. she tears one up, then we give her another one, goes through about 15 a year.

Another JRT owner here.
    I don't take any toys, I think that is up to the dog to find it's own entertainment when outdoors.
    Many times I see people at the dog park throwing toys when all the dog wants to do is sniff other dogs.
    If we look to wild or even feral dogs they have a LOT of downtime so it's just something they have to get used to

Quote Originally Posted by cbr6fs View Post
    Another JRT owner here.
    I don't take any toys, I think that is up to the dog to find it's own entertainment when outdoors.
    Many times I see people at the dog park throwing toys when all the dog wants to do is sniff other dogs.
    If we look to wild or even feral dogs they have a LOT of downtime so it's just something they have to get used to
    Does your jack carry a pack?

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Does your jack carry a pack?

Nope, she's only 5kg so I wouldn't put any more stress on her little legs than need be.

Ok mine weighs about 17lbs just got him a xx small ruffwear pack...I'll only let him carry a pound or two...he's got tons of pep in his step ... Should do fine

I once had a standard poodle who enjoyed playing catch with the neighbors lab, using baby skunks.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries

Had a Rottweiler mix that loved to push around a 10# rock with his nose at the dog run

Buckeye Bill
    Blackheart

++ New Posts ++