WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Dog first aid kit?

I'm just curious what other dog people pack in their first aid kit for your k9? I'm pack a very limited first aid kit which consists of....
    Duct tape
    Dental floss
    Antibacterial liquid
    Needle
    Vit I
    Benedryl tab

What should I add. For me/dog?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

I'd check with my vet. Each animal is different. H202, maybe some bandage wrap and tape. Anything serious I'm seeking professional help.

For a dog the size of a JRT, I'd figure out how to rig a sling from my gear to carry her, just in case. A couple few big safety pins might come in handy for that and weigh almost nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    For a dog the size of a JRT, I'd figure out how to rig a sling from my gear to carry her, just in case. A couple few big safety pins might come in handy for that and weigh almost nothing.
    Good point..maybe I'd better keep that best bag line that I never use!!! I do keep 2 safety pins in kit also...I just got him a ruffwear pack that has a lifting beaner which I could strap to my pack in front...what's another 18lbs.....can see it nie

Bear

a pair of baby's socks, gauze, and some duct tape can make a easy bandage for a cut/torn/sore paw.

Highly recommend attending a course in canine CPR and First Aid.

Two that I've gone through and one I'm still certified with:

Pet Tech - Petsaver: http://www.pettech.net/petsaver.php

and

Red Cross - Pet First Aid: http://www.redcross.org/take-a-class...ss-sports-pets

If you already have hands on experience, that's great. Bring enough supplies to cover common health concerns but for serious incidents, just plan to patch with what you can and evacuate immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtra View Post
    Highly recommend attending a course in canine CPR and First Aid.

Two that I've gone through and one I'm still certified with:

Pet Tech - Petsaver: http://www.pettech.net/petsaver.php

and

Red Cross - Pet First Aid: http://www.redcross.org/take-a-class...ss-sports-pets

If you already have hands on experience, that's great. Bring enough supplies to cover common health concerns but for serious incidents, just plan to patch with what you can and evacuate immediately.
    I'm a cert emt but don't use daily..my main concern is a snake bite as I often night hike ... My pup stays just behind me so shouldn't be a issue but still concerns me. I could carry him at 18lbs...

EMT but don't use daily? Are you a volunteer Firefighter/EMT then?

Anyways, back on topic, you have a good understanding for what protocol to follow if a snake bite happens. Educate yourself in snake species, paying close attention to the venomous ones that could be around where you're hiking. Venomous or not I would suggest carrying him out ASAP. As for First Aid items - most of what you need can be torn from your clothing, pack, and other gear.

Also consider finding a trainer that can help you use an avoidance correction on your JRT. If you find the right one and he (or you) have connections with someone with snakes - You can teach your JRT to avoid them outright and make sure he never tries to confront a snake in the future. Trust me, it works.

Hope that is of some use.

I carry Duct tape, a few gauze bandages, and coban non-stick bandage. If I need any other tools I can make it with sticks and rags. Plus I carry a few meds, but talk to your vet and I'm sure they can help you with what you need. I've also spent time training my pup to let me carry her in the fireman's carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtra View Post
    EMT but don't use daily? Are you a volunteer Firefighter/EMT then?

Anyways, back on topic, you have a good understanding for what protocol to follow if a snake bite happens. Educate yourself in snake species, paying close attention to the venomous ones that could be around where you're hiking. Venomous or not I would suggest carrying him out ASAP. As for First Aid items - most of what you need can be torn from your clothing, pack, and other gear.

Also consider finding a trainer that can help you use an avoidance correction on your JRT. If you find the right one and he (or you) have connections with someone with snakes - You can teach your JRT to avoid them outright and make sure he never tries to confront a snake in the future. Trust me, it works.

Hope that is of some use.
    I was a fireman for short while years back...had to quit as had good opportunity...

Quote Originally Posted by jarrett.morgan View Post
    ... but talk to your vet and I'm sure they can help you with what you need. I've also spent time training my pup to let me carry her in the fireman's carry.
    Problem with talking to many vets is that they will suggest bringing everything, including the kitchen sink.

Nice training tip though. Easier for owners of a small size, like the JRT. But large dog owners should get their dog adjusted to being lifted and hauled out too.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I'm just curious what other dog people pack in their first aid kit for your k9? I'm pack a very limited first aid kit which consists of....
    Duct tape
    Dental floss
    Antibacterial liquid
    Needle
    Vit I
    Benedryl tab

What should I add. For me/dog?

Scissors to cut away hair or something stuck in hair and tweezers/petroleum jelly for ticks,

Quote Originally Posted by lucidglassj View Post
    Scissors to cut away hair or something stuck in hair and tweezers/petroleum jelly for ticks,
    Y I have my leatherman micra w pliers and scissors...petroleum jelly?

++ New Posts ++