WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Bug Shelter

Default Bug Shelter

Hey guys,

New here and figuring things out... what do you guys do for bug protection when you don't want to be be locked up in a tent or hammock? Anyone have any hints to rig a giant mosquito net? I hate sleeping covered in bug spray so Im curious as to what people do when its really bug infested at night. Thanks in advance

I use a tarp/bivy instead of a tent as it's more flexible. The downside is using a tarp in bad weather properly takes a little practice to gain the proper experience needed. The advantage is my bug protection is seperate from my rain protection. Thus, the bivy can be used without the tarp when cowboy camping (sleeping out under the stars) or in an AT shelter. Some bivys (such as MLD's bug bivy) only provide bug protection. Others provide both bug protection and some wind protection like my borah gear bivy.

Images

Some bivys (such as MLD's bug bivy) only provide bug protection. Others provide both bug protection and some wind protection like my borah gear bivy.

Two really good pieces of gear.

Journal Entries
    Images

Keep in mind a head net is not enough at night.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Giant mosquito net? Try Integral Designs.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Giant mosquito net? Try Integral Designs. Well, they USED to make the Bugamid. Just checked. No longer. Sorry..
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I us a SMD Meteor Bug Bivy. I do not believe they make these any longer. Works great under a tarp/poncho or in AT shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin316 View Post
    Hey guys,

New here and figuring things out... what do you guys do for bug protection when you don't want to be be locked up in a tent or hammock? Anyone have any hints to rig a giant mosquito net? I hate sleeping covered in bug spray so Im curious as to what people do when its really bug infested at night. Thanks in advance
    You pose a strange question. First you say you don't want to be locked up in a tent or hammock, then you say you hate sleeping covered in bug spray. Where are you sleeping? In a tent or hammock? Is your hammock set up but you're sleeping in a bedroll cowboy-camping style? It's hard to understand. What's wrong with being locked up in a tent/hammock all night if you're sleeping anyway?

My last several summer trips have been exhaustively bad with noseeums (midges) biting me near constantly and mostly in camp. I always camp in shade and my tent is big so I can find relief at late afternoon if I stay in the tent and zip it up. Lay down and read, snack, etc. I don't use DEET. It also helps to bring some citronella stick incense (or other stick incense) and burn it in your tent vestibule. Repels flying bugs.

When I'm moving and backpacking the bugs don't bother me except for the occasional horse fly (not to mention stumbling into a yellow jacket nest). And of course ya gotta bring a decent lightweight headnet which is mandatory in bug country. It is worn 100% of the time until I'm inside my tent and zipped up etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Giant mosquito net? Try Integral Designs.
    Safety compels me to remind people, catching giant mosquitos in nets can be dangerous.

...and when all is said and done, I use this.

Austin
    this is where , in my opinion, a double wall with multi pitch option shelter can be a good choice.

For 27 oz you can get a shelter like the Tarptent Notch ( or a bit more if not using poles or the Moment...) so that it can be set up fly and inner or fly or inner as you like.
    I set it always up fly with attached inner because I can open up the 4 door panels (one side only(two panels) is open here):

and if the weather changes it takes me less than a minute to have the fly down.
    franco@tarptent

++ New Posts ++