WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Trash in fire pits

This was at Darlington Shelter about 2 weeks ago. A few months ago found a similar situation at Dick's Dome. Shame on anyone who does this.
    trash.jpg

What's new....

Agreed....hate to say it but at least the lazy pieces of sh!@ pit in fire pit than around shelter...I seem to spend time every hike cleaning up after a?! Holes like this!! I don't tolerate a litter bug....don't have a problem confronting them!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like the recent discussions we've had on taggers, this is also unavoidable. Whatever areas that are open to the public are also open to the low-lives in our society. Granted there are some people that think all trash can and should be burned because of their own ignorance, and that's not quite as bad as those that know and just don't care, the fact remains that this is going to continue as long as trails are open to humans.

The best we can do is to educate the ignorant and try to leave a shelter and/or campsite a little cleaner than when we arrived. That's my opinion at least.

Just a few weeks back while staying at the new long branch shelter I found a pair of work boots and several weeks prior to that while hiking the standing indian loop found another pair at carter gap shelter...who the f... leaves boots behind much less wears steel toed work boots hiking? Good luck educating someone that DUMB!!?

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Default Trash in fire pits

Saltysack, I for one happened to be one of those people who started out wearing steel toed boots hiking. Why? Because the first time I was asked to go it's what I already owned ( from prior life as a roofer). Graduated to actual hikers and now sport trail runners. Now I wasn't in a position to just leave them behind on the trail and earthing wasn't a thing yet so I wore them in and out - one time. So......
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Knuckle Heads...prolly leave dirty dishes in the sink for someone else to do as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker View Post
    Saltysack, I for one happened to be one of those people who started out wearing steel toed boots hiking. Why? Because the first time I was asked to go it's what I already owned ( from prior life as a roofer). Graduated to actual hikers and now sport trail runners. Now I wasn't in a position to just leave them behind on the trail and earthing wasn't a thing yet so I wore them in and out - one time. So......
    Don't take it personal.....just a generalization...

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Just a few weeks back while staying at the new long branch shelter I found a pair of work boots and several weeks prior to that while hiking the standing indian loop found another pair at carter gap shelter...who the f... leaves boots behind much less wears steel toed work boots hiking? Good luck educating someone that DUMB!!?

Saltysack, I share your frustration on this matter. But projecting it at those that are doing these things, calling them "DUMB", will not improve the situation as much as you would like.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector View Post
    This was at Darlington Shelter about 2 weeks ago. A few months ago found a similar situation at Dick's Dome. Shame on anyone who does this.
    trash.jpg
    been walkin' on the AT for 28 years now. it ain't no worse or better

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector View Post

trash.jpg
    Well ... just plain laziness coupled with bad nutritional food choices. Each fed by the other

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    been walkin' on the AT for 28 years now. it ain't no worse or better
    Quote Originally Posted by July View Post
    Well ... just plain laziness coupled with bad nutritional food choices. Each fed by the other

Both are true.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Don't take it personal.....just a generalization...

Oh I didn't take it personal. I know I'm pretty smart. Just wanted to give you a hard time...
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtra View Post
    The best we can do is to educate the ignorant and try to leave a shelter and/or campsite a little cleaner than when we arrived. That's my opinion at least.
    "Ignorance can be cured, it's stupid thats forever"

I have a keyword in my Smugmug pics called "Rednecks" and it is where I put all my trashed firepit pics---

Found this mess in a firepit near Cheoah Bald. Wonderful folks.

Found this wonderful garbage in a firepit and surrounded by a giant blue tarp. None of these pics are car camping shots---all are backpacking destinations.

This splendid display of the species Redneckus bonobo was left by fishermen out for a weekend who couldn't be bothered with hauling crap out. I'm amazed they had the gumption and knowledge to haul out their own fat bodies to the trailhead. They also left a giant wad of clear plastic.

Here's the giant blue tarp left as trash by some backpackers in North Carolina. Pieces of work.

Images

One of the major things I noticed on the AT last year (and this year) is the large amount of trash left at camps/shelters, especially firepits. There are exceptions, of course, but in general you just don't see this out west. I'm not bad-mouthing the east, I believe it's all about population density being so much higher out there vs. CO, for example, so you have so many more jerks that leave trash (the percentage of these irresponsible a-holes might be right about the same).

One other major gripe is the frequency of TP "flowers" all over the place along the AT... right on top of the ground along the trail, just off the trail. WHAT's with that?????? Is this generally accepted practice out there???

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    One other major gripe is the frequency of TP "flowers" all over the place along the AT... right on top of the ground along the trail, just off the trail. WHAT's with that?????? Is this generally accepted practice out there???
    Thanks for bringing up the Human Turds Left by the Idiots. Your comment is a gateway to a disturbing tendency I have in posting pics of such offensive behavior, i.e. Stool Shots!!

I found this wonderful sign of the species "Redneckus deranged femaleus" on a wilderness trail by a river.

WARNING: Do not look at this picture! I found this human pile next to the South Fork Creek in the Citico Wilderness. (No where near a car or a car camping spot). Yes, humans are themselves pieces of Stool. And are themselves Tools. You'd think a simple low IQ monkey human could scratch out a hole in the dirt and bury this crap but NO it's beyond their grasp.

Maybe the dumb a$$ rednecks need to buy camo tp so we don't have to look at it!!

Just read a news article about some idiots burning down a shelter & a latrine (one separate occasions) in a state park down the road from me (nowhere near the AT).... Dirtbags are everywhere!

I don't know what the term Redneck means anymore, since it's used all the time in so many different situations. If by redneck, you all mean College kids and a bunch of 20-somethings, then I guess I agree since that seems to be the largest group out there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++