WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hiker, 39, collapses, dies along steep section of Appalachian Trail - The Republic

Hiker, 39, collapses, dies along steep section of Appalachian Trail
    The Republic
    BENTON, New Hampshire — A 39-year-old New Hampshire man who had been running and hiking with friends along the Appalachian Trail has died after collapsing during the outing. New Hampshire Fish and Game officers say the man, whose name has ...

More...

Default Hiker Collapses, Dies Along Appalachian Trail in N.H. - Boston.com

Hiker Collapses, Dies Along Appalachian Trail in N.H.
    Boston.com
    Dakai said the Beaver Brook Trail, which is part of the Appalachian Trail, is one of the most difficult trails to hike in the state. Because of the steep sections on the trail, rescuers were required to use ropes to lower the man multiple times along ...
    Hiker, 39, dies after collapsing along Appalachian TrailWMUR Manchester

all 2 news articles »

More...

Sorry to hear for this, he was young at only age 39.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

If Mrs Tux gets this I'll never be able to go ever again.

Yes It could happen to me/you, but... How many times on the AT did you say to yourself "I could die right here and be Happy"?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuxedo View Post

Yes It could happen to me/you, but... How many times on the AT did you say to yourself "I could die right here and be Happy"?
    Not a single time.

Images

what a shame....
    There are two grades to a mountain, either you can do it or you can't.

For me, humping up a nutbuster trail with a 3,000 foot gain with a 75lb pack always has the potential for checking out. Who said anything about being happy about it??

VFTT.org has more information. http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthrea...er-hiker-death
    The deceased appears to have been an accomplished trail runner.

It can indeed happen to any of us involved in any vigorous exercise. But it could have been the treadmill just as easily as a spot on the AT unfortunately, although perhaps help could have been more prompt. My sympathies to his family.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

ah that's to bad, condolences to the family and friends. ya just never know when it's your time, that's what makes time and life so precious.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    This could happen to any of us on any trail.
    That it could ... and it could happen just as easily if not more so in town. (In fact, my doc seems to think that getting out on the trail is likely to postpone the inevitable.)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

condolences to the family

A 62 year old man died on Mt Jefferson last week from a "medical emergency" - probably a heart attack. These mountains take out a few hikers every year. I'll be taking my chances going up there tomorrow...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Virginia Tortoise

My condolences. Isn't that the AT north of Mount Moosilauke with the re-bar and the railings? I had to go down that section right after it rained. Talk about dangerously slick. How could one run down that section?

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

So sad. Condolences to the family and those close to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    My condolences. Isn't that the AT north of Mount Moosilauke with the re-bar and the railings? I had to go down that section right after it rained. Talk about dangerously slick. How could one run down that section?
    late night rain/misty morning Beaver Brook hike for me. To paraphrase Woody from Toy Story. "Thats not hiking, that's falling gracefully". Lichen heavy area and high moister from dew, fog and brooks splashing. I went down... but anyone going up was 2steps forward 1step back. I consider it the toughest day of my AT hike but more so the climb up Kinsman for me. If I'd gone up Beaver Brook and down Kinsman I guess a vise-versa feeling.

Default Hiker Collapses, Dies Along Appalachian Trail - NECN

NECN

Hiker Collapses, Dies Along Appalachian Trail
    NECN
    A 39-year-old New Hampshire man who had been running and hiking with friends along the Appalachian Trail has died after collapsing during the outing. New Hampshire Fish and Game officers say the man, whose name has not been released, had stopped ...

More...

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

late night rain/misty morning Beaver Brook hike for me. To paraphrase Woody from Toy Story. "Thats not hiking, that's falling gracefully". Lichen heavy area and high moister from dew, fog and brooks splashing. I went down... but anyone going up was 2steps forward 1step back. I consider it the toughest day of my AT hike but more so the climb up Kinsman for me. If I'd gone up Beaver Brook and down Kinsman I guess a vise-versa feeling.
    I'm the opposite. Up is easier than down for me. My knees don't give out and I can see where to put my hands and feet. Beaver Brook is tough, though, up or down, particularly that spot where the waterfall keeps it constantly wet and algae-covered. It would be a horrible place to get into trouble, and I'm glad I never had to do SAR there. (Getting a guy with a busted ankle down Gorge Brook and across the Asquamchumaukee to Ravine Lodge was bad enough!)

Prayers for the victim, the family, and the SAR crew. (Yes, them too. It's nerve-wracking to get a callout, and heartbreaking to lose a subject.)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

A more in-depth article on Chad Denning: http://www.vnews.com/home/13475153-9...-running-trail

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++