WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Western Mountaineering MegaLite or Caribou MF???

I'm going to be section hiking the AT next summer and need to decide on a sleeping bag. I had first looked at the Sierra Designs Backcountry being that I'm 6'2, 225lbs and twist and turn a lot when sleeping. After seeing that this sleeping bag weighed in at 2lbs 11oz someone told me that I might want to look at bags from Western Mountaineering. Looking for anyone using the MegaLite or Caribou MF and their thoughts on them. Thanks!

I'm 6 foot even with an average build. But I toss and turn all night. Owned a Caribou long for a few years. Very nice bag with plenty of room. But I was cold. Probably from being too long (more volume to heat) but more likely cold because of the sewn through construction. I now have a regular length Megalite. Very nice bag and warm. Wish it had a draft collar. However, depending on where you are section hiking next summer, both bags may be a bit too hot for some hikers.

Really like my Megalite. Light, warm and roomy.

I too toss and turn.
    Sort of wished I would have bought the Terralite.

Images

I tried both bags, then realized that the Caribou didn't have a draft tube over the zipper. (This is ~10 years ago; might have changed.) It's a minor thing, but makes a difference in comfort on a cold night. I got the Megalite and have been using it happily ever since.

BTW, you said "next summer" -- I do find the Megalite to be quite warm in the summer. It's my spring and fall bag around here, though it would make a good summer bag in New England.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

++ New Posts ++