WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default LT section in late September/early October

I'm doing the 105 mile section of the LT that is contiguous with the AT in a few weeks. My time frame is 8 full hiking days. I have read the 2-3 threads here from others who have hiked it in the fall.

Has anyone else done this section in fall, or anytime for that matter? Any words of wisdom? How would the terrain for this section compare to the mountain west in terms of difficulty, for those who have hiked both?

A little background:

Live and hike at high elevation regularly
    Run/lift/hike 5-6 days a week. No issues with a 12 mile day + pack at altitude.
    Lightweight gear (20-24 lbs total pack weight)
    Plenty of 1-3 night backpacking experience, but none beyond this length.

NoBo. Plan to make 1 resupply in Manchester, VT. Plan to average 13-15 mile days.

Thanks!

So long as you have decent weather, which is a crap shot at that time of year, you should be fine. Bad weather can really slow you down. When the weather is bad it is a cold, raw rain which cuts to the bone. So far, it looks like it will be a real pleasant fall, but the weather here tends to change in a matter of minutes.

There is a good chance of frost in the morning and an off chance of wet snow that time of year, but it is usually gone within 24 hours. The LT will be a lot more rugged then the trails your probably used to in Colorado, but the AT section is not too bad. There is only a few really stiff climbs, a lot of the trail rolls along the ridge line with only minor ups and downs - but a lot of them which can wear at you. Keep in mind the Long Trail has "no mercy" and they much prefer to make you go over every little bump they can find rather then let you go around it.

Fall colors will be at or near peak, but one good windy rain storm and its all over. Have a good hike, that is a great time of year to do the LT so long as the weather is nice!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

The part of the LT that coincides with the AT is relatively tame and, down near Bennington, relatively view-less. 13-15 mile days should be fairly easy given your stated background.

What changes in fall? The trail can be obscured by fallen leaves, and the leaves can make it extra slippery, if they're wet. Days are relatively short. Otherwise, fall is the best time to hike, pretty much anywhere on the AT. Altitude is not such a big problem, you're rarely above 4000 feet on that part of the LT. You don't have the extreme-weather characteristics of the White Mountains, either, though you could easily have fog, mist, rain and moderate wind.

Thanks guys, that is all helpful.

The trails here in CO vary considerably (there are literally thousands of miles of trail), but in general they are well-maintained and switchback, rather than go straight up and down. Altitude is the big X factor here; it can make you sick, brings violent weather, and exposure.

I pretty much expected a 30-50% chance of rain every day on the LT, with the off chance of cold rain, frost, and maybe a snow dusting on the peaks like you said. Any advice on temps? NCDC 30 year averages put daytime temps in the mid-50's, with highs and lows in the mid-60's and high 30's, respectively.

I've heard the trail is relatively tame compared to the northern LT and the Whites, but my chief concern is being able to bang out 13-15 mile days consecutively. Only one way to find out. I'll just try to start in the best shape I can and not overextend my limits.

Journal Entries
    Images

I think you'll have a good time! Plus the timing seems spot on.

Images

Default LT section in late September/early October

Relatively tame doesn't mean tame, but we managed several long days on this part of the LT and we're not in any kind of shape. We could do 13-15 in this section.

Edit: we started slow due to weather, with a 7 mile day, then 13 and 17. It was harder and took longer than the same mileage on the AT here in the South. As mentioned above, they sure like to go straight up the nose of the ridge and show you every little bump.

Great resupply in Manchester Center. If you have a chance hit Up for Breakfast, otherwise the bagel place is terrific too. Awesome outfitter at The Mountain Goat.
    Last edited by bigcranky; 09-04-2014 at 19:13.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

In Manchester - Mountain Goat is a great outfitter. Up For Breakfast is the place to go, but be prepared to pay $15 - $20.

I have not done the southern section of the trail yet but from what I have heard the southern section is easier than the northern section. I did a week in the northern section a few weeks ago and was only expecting to do 10-12 miles a day on average based on feedback that I received and my research. Once I got there it was a much different trail than I was expecting and was able to do 14-18 mile days. I can hike long days which helps with the mileage but I am not a fast hiker. You can ask JD (I believe that was his name) who was recently doing a speed hike attempt. He walked up behind me near Duck Brook Shelter and passed me and was gone.

How you handle the rain can be the real test of how you handle the trail. It can get slippery and rough but very doable.

Have fun and enjoy yourself. I am envious that you will be out there and I will be at work.

Thanks again guys, I'm looking forward to it. I lived in Hartland, VT near Woodstock for a summer and I really liked it there. So different than Colorado----green, green, and more green. Lots of bugs too! Crazy huge spiders and mosquitoes I had never seen before.

BigCranky, I read you and your wife's LT journal which was very helpful. Great photos! Got me psyched up to do this hike.

I'll be sure and post back here when I'm done with a trip report.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

You won't have to worry about insects in September. At your age and stated ability I think you will likely exceed your 15 mpd pace once you get up to speed in a few days. While the climbs are generally steeper than out west, they are also shorter and the southern LT is pretty well maintained. Water availability *can* be an issue in fall hiking. Come October the leaves may have started to fall, which will not only be slippery when wet but can hide the rocks and roots below.

All said, you should have a great time if you're prepared for sub-freezing nights and the inevitable rainy cold days. I will be a few hundred miles to the north on the AT finishing up Maine during this time and need to be prepared for the same.

--Kerosene
    LT SOBO, August 1979 (temps from 30-102F, some form of precipitation on 21 of 24 days)
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Journal Entries
    Images

Didn't Mountain Goat close both their Northampton and Manchester Stores? Quite frankly the Northampton one wasn't the best in Hamp. That would be Don Gleasons.

Images

Mountain Goat was open in early July when we went through Manchester. Dunno about now. They seemed to be doing well.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I'm starting a northbound E2E hike on Sept. 19, maybe I'll see you out there.
    “All good things are wild and free.”

Considering your overall experience, conditioning, etc. I think you'll be fine. BTW, on my Colorado Trail thru-hike, I remember thinking that Segment 9 approaching the Holy Cross Wilderness resembled northern New England; I described it that way in my book (link below). And on my promotion trip to Colorado this year, I did a backpack on the west side of the Holy Cross and had the same impression. So if you want to train for the LT with its rocks & roots, hike the Holy Cross!

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    The part of the LT that coincides with the AT is relatively tame and, down near Bennington, relatively view-less. 13-15 mile days should be fairly easy given your stated background.....
    The major exception to the "relatively viewless" reference is the fire tower atop Glastonbury Mountain. Hope you have a clear day to ascend it for the rewarding views. A day's hike north of it brings you to Stratton Mountain and its tower. Stratton is the highest point crossed by the AT in Vermont.

Doesn't Stratton have a fire tower as well? When I hiked that part of the LT, those two fire towers offered the only good views on the last couple of days SOBO ending at Bennington. Goddard Shelter was nice, though -- it has a good view southward.

Quote Originally Posted by TimberHo View Post
    I'm starting a northbound E2E hike on Sept. 19, maybe I'll see you out there.
    NoBo or SoBo? I'll look for ya. I'll be wearing a green Deuter pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Considering your overall experience, conditioning, etc. I think you'll be fine. BTW, on my Colorado Trail thru-hike, I remember thinking that Segment 9 approaching the Holy Cross Wilderness resembled northern New England; I described it that way in my book (link below). And on my promotion trip to Colorado this year, I did a backpack on the west side of the Holy Cross and had the same impression. So if you want to train for the LT with its rocks & roots, hike the Holy Cross!
    Awesome, thanks for the comparison. I've hiked quite a bit in the Holy Cross wilderness. Wet and rugged! It reminds me of NH honestly, just more dramatic. Also a dangerous place; numerous folks have gotten lost in the Holy Cross area---some never found. I never venture off trail up there.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Doesn't Stratton have a fire tower as well? When I hiked that part of the LT, those two fire towers offered the only good views on the last couple of days SOBO ending at Bennington. Goddard Shelter was nice, though -- it has a good view southward.
    Yes it does - I referred to it in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Wülfgang View Post
    ...Awesome, thanks for the comparison. I've hiked quite a bit in the Holy Cross wilderness. Wet and rugged! It reminds me of NH honestly, just more dramatic. Also a dangerous place; numerous folks have gotten lost in the Holy Cross area---some never found. I never venture off trail up there.
    It's gratifying that my hiking partner and I weren't the only one who noticed the resemblance. This is from page 74 of the book: "...we joked that we were hiking in Colorado at times and New Hampshire at times..."

The picture on the left is the CT on the east side of Holy Cross from our 2011 thruhike. The picture on the right is from my hike this past labor Day weekend on the Cross Creek Trail on the west side of Holy Cross. No wonder that the book's chapter on this area is "Rocks of the Rockies."

Colorado Trail 155 typical rocky trail.JPG188 Holy Cross.jpg

Heading North Bound.
    “All good things are wild and free.”

++ New Posts ++