WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

as well all hike (our) own hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by da_wart View Post

I did browse this site before I went on my hike but I found all the information here confusing and kinda all over the place. I believe I have consolidated the information into a good starter package for someone to get up and go on the AT by following my advice.

Cool, maybe post an article.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?9-articles

to white blaze

Okay thats a good idea maybe I will make a article with the information thats on my site.

I have some information on davidshiking.com. The most useful page is probably the Day to Day movement page.

http://davidshiking.com/day-to-day-movement/

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I take the opposite. It is impossible to know everything. Rather, I think it is more important to have some quick info on where to find more detailed info.

I am biased, but I think my Q&D guides help distill the info down a bit. I don't claim to have the answers. I just hope to point out to people where they can get the answers they need...

http://www.pmags.com/topics/quick-and-dirty-guides
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

What everyone else said about hiking styles is absolutely true. I could tell you what I found it useful to bring for a 4 day section hike in Massachusetts, for instance, but how much would it help if you didn't know the hike was in February and I was on snowshoes?
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Hi,
    My name is Ganeson and from Australia
    I am planning thru hike in 2015 end of March / April. Could you help me what guide books, maps , need to carry on the AT. I have "The A.T. Guide by AWOL, David Miller, Appalachian Trail Thru Hikers' companion, AT data book. What should I bring and also can you buy guidebooks and maps along the trail. Your advice / any body would be much appreciated.

thanks

Journal Entries
    Images

I was a novice backpacker before I decided to attempt a thru-hike. I also needed information on how to go about prepairing. I purchased the book, "The Thru-hikers Planning Guide," by Dan, Wingfoot Bruce. This book contains all the information you will need to know. It is written in a manner that explains the pros and cons of the decisions and choices you have to make and lets you decide.
    I used his advise during my thru-hike planning. Once I started my hike I soon learned that , using Wingfoot's advise my choies were all correct.
    His advice helped me greatly, at the age of 66 have a successfull thru-hike.
    His book was published in 1997 so by todays standards it may be a little out dated.
    Grampie-N->2001

No one person has all the answers, that's why their is so many conflicting opinions here on WB, every body wants to be the WB GURU, it takes some folks a good while before they figure out their hiking style or figure out which gear is right for that individual, seriously the AT is probably one of the easier trails to plan for, if anybody out their can't find the info they need or can't figure out the gear selection you NOT trying, did you really think the AT was going to pull up her dress and give it to you, you really thought it was going to be that easy, if it was that easy their would be a bigger completion rate.

It's all relative ....
    I never backpacked before I started my THRU attempt . Could say I was very green. Because I had started growing a beard a month earlier I looked
    the part at Springer and by the second day on the trail other newbies were asking me for advice ....which I gave for free
    "the legs feed the wolf gentlemen, the legs feed the wolf" from the movie "Miracle"

Journal Entries

IfIf it wasn't for all the mistakes newbies make, most trail journals wouldnt be worth reading. That's also why they typically get really boring after the smokies, about the time they figure things out and settle into routine.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 11-18-2014 at 20:58.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++