WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: shells

Default shells

I was just wondering if this would be a good shell to use http://www.adidas.com/us/product/men...93X?cid=D81997 . Also i was wondering about good bottom shells and gaters do they really work or are they just an annoyance.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

You didn't say anything about where you're going at what time of year.

I don't know anything about that particular shell jacket. Normally for a shell I just use a Dri-Ducks jacket until it starts looking really cold or very high winds, then I switch to my REI Elements shell.

I find gaiters essential for dealing with bad mud, sloppy snow, or scratchy brush. And for keeping scree out of my shoes. On a well-maintained trail like the A-T, in warm weather, they'd be pretty useless.

Rain pants are for two purposes: blocking the wind on a blustery day, and keeping you covered when everything else is in the wash at a town stop. In warm weather it's probably best to just get wet, because you'll surely get wet from the inside with your rain pants on. My rain pants don't come out of the pack until and unless hypothermia (or indecent exposure) starts looking as if it's a possibility.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

srry about that im leaving form springer late march 2015 for my first thru hike. thanks for the info. also whats a good brand for gaters

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Rogowski View Post
    srry about that im leaving form springer late march 2015 for my first thru hike. thanks for the info. also whats a good brand for gaters
    I, too, simply use Dri Ducks, $20 (for both top and pants), 11 total ounces, waterproof and pretty darn breathable. When it comes down to fall and late fall when the weather can turn much nastier, I switch to a Goretex Pac-light jacket, more substantial, but of course a bit heavier. That addidas link doesn't mention either weight or fabric type???

I personally don't wear gators, but if you want to, check out the "dirty girl" brand. My wife and many others swear by these, and yes, they make them for men. Very light, but they do help both keep you shoes, socks and pant legs cleaner and drier, and keep junk out of you shoes.

http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/buy-it.html

You have to look hard to find non-ladylike colors, but there are a few.

it weighs 16oz so a little bit heavier but the base is made out of cotton but the outer layer is like a goretex material.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

it weighs 16oz so a little bit heavier but the base is made out of cotton but the outer layer is like a goretex material.
    Cotton = bad news. Your windshell always gets condensation in it, and cotton seems never to get dry again.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

A shell should be just that - no liner. Check out Cabela's for some reasonably inexpensive rain shells.

I like gaiters in the spring. The trail is wet and muddy much of the time. Long gaiters (knee high) are best for the spring. Short gaiters like Dirty Girls are better later on when you just need to keep dirt, sticks and pebbles out of the shoe.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

yea i didnt realize they were cotton till i looked it up materials i saw climaproof so i assumed it wouldnt be cotton. so ill probaly just got with the goretex pac light

so what about this one 13 oz polyester http://www.rei.com/product/868353/th...-mens#specsTab

Images

yea i didnt realize they were cotton till i looked it up materials i saw climaproof so i assumed it wouldnt be cotton. so ill probaly just got with the goretex pac light
    Here's one on sale, a Marmot, good brand:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mar...r-men~p~3969d/

Only one color (blue) and size (large), a tad heavy at 14 oz, probably 15oz for the large, but look around. My favorite all-time is the Arctyrex Beta SL, expensive, but sometimes you can find one on sale. I think about 10-11 oz for men's large.

Here's one on sale for $239, but only certain colors and sizes, others are $298:

http://www.amazon.com/Arcteryx-Beta-.../dp/B006X0FOOI

I just bought one of these myself to replace my older Arcteryx; I just cannot say enough about these jackets. They are expensive, stupidly so, but they fit so well, so well thought out, a good jacket is worth the price. My old one (An Alpha LT, heavier, more for climbing) is 7-8 years old and still in great shape and I'll still use it for shorter trips.

so what about this one 13 oz polyester http://www.rei.com/product/868353/th...-mens#specsTab
    Could be good, I believe HyVent is The North Face's proprietary version of the eVent membrane which I've found quite breathable. There are slightly lighter options but they will come at a cost of durability or features, depends what's more important to you.

What is your price range? that is very important information as rain shells vary widely from the $20 DriDucks suggested to well north of $500 for some more specialized models.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

One tip I can give you is not to go into agony picking between 2 good pieces of gear that are more or less the same because, at the end of the day, it's not going to make or break your hike. Just pick one.

You want the best quality you can afford and there are probably a dozen shells that fall into that category, probably more.

I think ill go with the northface one thanks for the advice guys

++ New Posts ++