WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default November Loop in SNP

Hey All,

Looking to do a 30ish mile loop, preferably not too crowded, over the weekend of Nov. 7-9th. Does anyone have some good routes? I'm looking for awesome scenery that I wouldn't see in PA. Doesn't have to be part of the AT. I know that I'll need a backcountry permit, and I imagine it gets pretty chilly at that time of year. Anything else I should know? Thanks!

Images

Look at WhiteOak Canyon/Old Rag area in SNP using the Old Rag Fire Road to connect the two. These offer difficult climbs , cascading waterfalls and a panoramic summit.

Purchase a Central District map on the PATC website, www.patc.net . A detailed map will show the other trails needed to complete this multi-day circuit.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Look at WhiteOak Canyon/Old Rag area in SNP using the Old Rag Fire Road to connect the two. These offer difficult climbs , cascading waterfalls and a panoramic summit.

Purchase a Central District map on the PATC website, www.patc.net . A detailed map will show the other trails needed to complete this multi-day circuit.
    Awesome, thanks for the info. What would you say your favorite district of the park? I found a pre-planned loop trail on the NPS's website with "spectacular mountains, three waterfalls, wilderness valley, and geology" in the South District that sounds really good. Here's a link. Are you familiar with this area?

I would second the Old Rag area suggestion. There are servicable maps on the SNP website.

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisi...bined_2013.pdf

I would also try to get over to Hawksbill Mountain via the Cedar Run Trail. You get a pretty nice view of the area from there and a great view of Old Rag.

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisi..._area_2013.pdf

I haven't spent any time in the Southern District. I'm partial to the taller mountains in the Central District.

So is the Central District the favorite among most SNP hikers?

++ New Posts ++