Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I'm bringing $6000 plus maybe an extra 2 or 3 in reserve. Hopefully I won't have to dive into my 401k, but am totally willing to do so if need be.

-

Quote Originally Posted by juma View Post
    I heard that the zerohero from 2014 spent $18k. he had a lot of fun and a fine adventure. thats the way to go if you have the $$$ to spend and want it. As a section hiker I'm sure I'll exceed that.
    with a good pension 18 K for 6 months is doable every year provided home expenses can be sufficiently controlled - that being said, only the CDT with my wife driving/ supporting - and including tourist type excursions - should come close to that kind of $$

Just worked up my budget for this year last night. $7K including about $1K of gear replacement and travel costs for my SOBO. I have little desire to take advantage of town services like I have in the past and the pace of my hike won't allow many zeros anyway. That makes for a cheaper hike but by no means am I going to feel deprived. I'm still taking a lot of money, just being smarter about it.

Btw, even though I am not moving out of my home or renting it out, the net cost of my hike is a lot lower than $7K because most of my normal recurring expenses go away during the hike. Arguably it might be cheaper to be hiking than at home. Obviously I'm not actively earning income either but I don't need to be actively involved in my business all the time and I have flexibility.

Did the AT with no hotels at all. Dr. Bronner in any stream, lake or rainstorm. Boiling snow once or twice for a bath in the woods. I did a late season SOBO - due to work obligations.

I might have spent $2000 ... could I do that now? Oh - Heck No.

That said. April 26th start around 8K planned - with plenty in reserve I don't plan on using. Not including gear or travel.

Journal Entries

I have a formula that works for me I learned years ago from a hiker.
    Thruhiking cost $1,000 plus $1,000 a month on the trail to hike comfortably (eating out in town and hotel stays, ect) and $1,000 plus 750 a month watching your $$$ closely. Anything less is extreme and not something I could do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++