Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

In going to cheat and just say Coffee's figure looks good.

If you are going to actually start on budget while traveling to best way (in my experience) is to write down everything you spend as you go. At the end of each week tally the results and compare them to your expectations. Is you are under budget carry on. If over you can see what category you have either underestimated or splurged on.

Quote Originally Posted by _Murray_ View Post
    In going to cheat and just say Coffee's figure looks good.

If you are going to actually start on budget while traveling to best way (in my experience) is to write down everything you spend as you go. At the end of each week tally the results and compare them to your expectations. Is you are under budget carry on. If over you can see what category you have either underestimated or splurged on.
    I tried to write down everything I spent as I hiked the AT. For the most part, I succeeded. Missed a few things from time to time. I was under budget in the beginning. Went over budget toward the end. But, I had sufficient resources that this wasn't a problem.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Wow! This thread really scared me at first when I read about everyone's big budget! It's interesting to note that I typically see budgets listed around $3000-$5000 on websites like reddit, so I thought my budget was plenty until I read this thread here on whiteblaze where I'm seeing budgets in the $8000's! The difference, it would appear, is the average user age. Reddit is a much younger community, so I think a lot of the people on that forum are able to do the pct with less.

I'm 27 and this is my first thru-hike. My budget is $5000, which I thought was generous until I read this thread! I've set aside $1000 of my 5k for gear purchases, which is plenty. I splurged on a new tent and sleeping bag, and the rest of my equipment I'm being more frugal about. It's easy to get wrapped up in gear lust when you learn about how light and great some items are, but it's really not worth it unless you have a ton of extra money to spend. Do I really need $85 merino wool leggings when my old Under Armour ones will do the trick 90% as well? No. Are those $140 hiking poles that people describe as walking on heaven much better than the $20 pair you can pick up at Walmart? They're not 6 times the price better. As much as I would like to drop $300 on a new ghost whisperer coat, I realize that any old $100 coat off the clearance rack will do it's job almost just as well, even though it may be a few ounces heavier.
    I've read one guy who talked about hiking the trail on $400. Apparently he got almost all of his gear from hiker boxes, using peoples old shoes and everything. That's obviously pretty extreme, but I think it goes to show you what is possible. I would not listen to anyone threatening that "you might not finish the trail" if you run out of money because you didn't bring $10,000.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adamfbomb View Post

I'm 27 and this is my first thru-hike. My budget is $5000, which I thought was generous until I read this thread!.
    $4000 to hike the PCT after gear? I think you'll be fine. $1000/mo is, IMO, a good conservative figure. Avoid excessive / long town stops and take more neros. Shorter hike = less $$$.

I feel similar about gear BTW. I'd avoid the $400 budget as that usually means relying on the good graces of others to finish a hike.
    Last edited by Mags; 03-10-2015 at 13:17.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Yeah. I was also surprised to see all the $8k+ talk on here. I'm assuming most of those people are either much wealthier than I or older folks who are really taking their time and lots of zeroes splurging in towns. I have $4-5k set aside for on trail expenses (including transportation from home to trail and back). I unfortunately had to spend a lot of money on gear since this is my first thru and did get a little sucked into the whole gear lust vortex of spending. I guess that is somewhat necessary when you don't want to carry a 20+ lb base weight.

Not that I have any experience, but I think we'll be fine with $5k.

$1K on trail per month is likely to be just fine in my opinion. The only apples to apples way of comparing expenses is to limit them to on trail expenses. We all have different plans prior to and after the trail and different distances to travel to the west coast. Also, some people ( like me) take a break from the trail in the middle of the trip to go back home or visit family. That adds substantially to total trip cost but has nothing to do with actually hiking the trail. I also plan to spend a bit of time in Vancouver after the trail. That will cost quite a bit. But nothing to do with hiking the PCT.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    My PCT budget is kind of ballooning a little because I have a lot of off-trail expenses associated with travel to and from the trail plus a visit back home in the middle of my trip, and associated costs. But like most other hikers, my on trail budget is around $1,000/month and I feel like that's a comfortable amount. It is about what I spent on-trail over a month in Colorado last summer and I didn't feel like I was lacking anything. I can afford to stay in the nicer hotels but I kind of like staying at hostels, assuming they are reasonably clean, since I can interact with other hikers. I hike mostly solo (and like it that way) but some interaction with others who are also hiking is nice from time to time. If I get sick of the hostel lifestyle, then I can always opt for a private room somewhere else.

I'm a big fan of the "nero day" as garlic suggests above. Not only is it cheaper but I find that I am agitated on a full day in town since I'm not making any progress. For me the only reason to take a full zero would be if I'm injured or just worn out and really need the time off, or if there are non-hiking things to do in the town in question that justify the time and money spent. I don't really see that being the case for most of the towns along the PCT. On the other hand, I'm thinking about the Camino in 2016 and I'd be more likely to do full zeros there given how many cultural things there are to do in some of the towns.

To flesh out the $1K/month on trail budget a bit more, mine works out like this:

$90/week for on-trail food.
    $50/week for in-town food.
    $75/week on average for in-town lodging
    $15/week for misc. in-town expenses (laundry, postage, etc)

$230/week x 4.33 weeks/month on avg = $1,000.

The $75/week, or $325 per month month for lodging will probably work out to 2 hostel stays at ~$30 each plus 2 (nicer) private motel/hotel stays at ~$130 each.

Obviously a real budget hike could be done for a lot less.
    I really like Coffee's budget, however there are a couple of things that stand out, his (private motel/hotel stays) at $130 each would probably be something many hikers would try to split with another hiker. Also he has no line item for beer.

David3

I heard that the zerohero from 2014 spent $18k. he had a lot of fun and a fine adventure. thats the way to go if you have the $$$ to spend and want it. As a section hiker I'm sure I'll exceed that.

Quote Originally Posted by bannerstone View Post
    I really like Coffee's budget, however there are a couple of things that stand out, his (private motel/hotel stays) at $130 each would probably be something many hikers would try to split with another hiker. Also he has no line item for beer.

David3
    I might split hotel rooms if the possibility comes up but wouldn't want to count on that. And not being a drinker or smoker helps a lot with my trip budgets!
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

I hiked 2013 and my budget was $3200. I always split hotel rooms and limited myself to one in town AYCE meal out (which was usually breakfast which is obviously the best meal of the day haha) Other than that I bought food for the room to limit the money spent. I actually went through about 1k in the desert because of all the partying. So I had a budget of 2.2 k for the remaining 2k miles. I did stretch it thin and had to Credit Card a flight home. Totally worth it lol
    The poor man is not he who is without a cent, but he who is without a dream.
    "Harry Kemp"

Happy Feet
    CT 2011, PCT 2013

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juma View Post
    I heard that the zerohero from 2014 spent $18k. he had a lot of fun and a fine adventure. thats the way to go if you have the $$$ to spend and want it. As a section hiker I'm sure I'll exceed that.
    I'm a fan of nicer hotels, real meals, and a bit of privacy when I'm in town.

I think 1k a month is fine as well. I budget a bit differently than say Coffee. I "pay" myself $33 a day each day I am on the trail. I keep a tally going. When I get into town that balance is my budget. I normally stay at mid-range lodging and don't share room. I don't hesitate to eat out, but at least one meal a day is at cheaper joint (i.e. Subway or other fast food). I could go cheaper, or more expensive for that matter, just a system that seems to work for me.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Oh to be young again! When I was in my twenties could go for months on few dollars. Last time I hiked Donner Pass to Walker Pass cost me almost $2,500. Already had all of my gear. Could have been because my wife joined me for my zero days.

I think I spent around $10,000. But I did have to pay rent and COBRA insurance while I was out there. I also went a little too comfortable initially in hotels. By the time I got to Nor Cal, I was done with that kind of lifestyle. I think I walked out of Ashland with about $600 in my pocket and still had about $400 of it when I finished the trail. Not counting the 3 days I spent in Seattle (in the sun) waiting for it to quit raining on the trail. I put that on my credit card.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

I'm heading out in 2016 and I plan to have $4,000 in my account set aside for the hike, but I hope to only use 3,000. I already have all of the gear I plan to use, but I might splurge on a new tarptent if I have the extra funds... I'm thinking I'll probably spend a lot less on the PCT than I did on the AT- I spent too much money on hostels and town food on the AT!
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Images

(Not counting my emergency $2000, but that is only in my account for emergency schtuff and restarting life after returning home!)
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )

Those are some pretty rad numbers (had to sound young there). I think researching and planning are the best ways to get the most out of your money. Just last October my wife and I took a 3 week European vacation including Rome, Venice, Paris, London, Amsterdam, Switzerland, and Germany to name a few destinations for less than you're talking for a 5-6 month hike in the woods. Including airfare, I spent just under $6,200 for both us, all inclusive and we had a great time. None of our hotels were Hiltons but they were safe, clean and comfortable. One doesn't need Cuben fiber everything or the newest sleeping bag or "puffy coat" to be comfortable. Nor do gourmet meals need to be a regular activity on the trail or in town. My big 4 (50 liter Jansport pack, 6 moon designs tent, Teton Sports bag and a Klymt pad) cost me $410 and weigh in at 7.5 pounds. If I went with a different 6 moons tent weighing 10 more ounces, I could trim $100 off that total. My poles are $50 Carbon composites with flip locks and weigh less than 8 ounces each with a lifetime warranty. It can be done with effort, planning and not trying to keep up with the Jones. I respect "to each their own" but it's good for people to know what is easily doable.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    I think 1k a month is fine as well. I budget a bit differently than say Coffee. I "pay" myself $33 a day each day I am on the trail. I keep a tally going. When I get into town that balance is my budget. I normally stay at mid-range lodging and don't share room. I don't hesitate to eat out, but at least one meal a day is at cheaper joint (i.e. Subway or other fast food). I could go cheaper, or more expensive for that matter, just a system that seems to work for me.
    That is a genius way of thinking about things- my mind works best ways like that, thanks, lonehiker!

5000 is plenty of money for a thru hike. ten THOUSAND!?! That's insane.

You will do perfectly fine with $5,000.
    A lot of people on this forum tell you you can't, but if its what you have then go do it.

People told me to have 4,000 at minimum for my A.T. Thru. And I ended up doing it for under $1 a mile and had a ton left over.

Just know, you know you. If you are thrifty you probably could do it for $2,200.
    Just keep track of your spendings as you go.

Keep receipts and write it down so you aren't surprised how much you've spent.

Also another thing that I found helpful is to spend as little as possible the first half (or 3/4) of the trail so you can treat yourself at the end.
    Most people treat themselves 1st then barely get by at the end.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++