WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hundred Mile Wilderness Water Crossings

Hello all!

I'd like to ask the hive-mind about water crossings in the Hundred Mile Wilderness. I'm leaving in about week to hike it southbound. My AT databook has 7 marked water crossings with the notation "(ford)". I assume this means I'm getting wet? I ask because I am debating bringing shoes to wear in the water. I won't ford rivers barefoot (done that - won't do it again) and I really don't want to soak my trail runners. I don't want he extra weight of the shoes - I don't normally carry "camp shoes" anymore.

Has anyone been out there recently (say in the last couple of weeks)? How high are these crossings? Did you use separate footwear or did you just leave your trail shoes on and let them dry out after crossing?

Thanks!

Your choice, waters shoes or get your trail shoes wet and walk them dry.

Registered User O-H-10 Lil Ohio's Avatar

Default 100 mile wilderness water crossing

Magneto, I spoke with a couple of thru hikers last week about the hundred mile wilderness ,they told me it didn't matter what they did their feet got wet.They had trail runners and they said absolutely no leather boots. They also said if I only had two pair of socks bring a 3rd pair. We may cross paths next week. Tic Toc

That was my though. I have gun-boat size 15 6E feet - so a pair of Crocks weighs just shy of 16 oz - which is a lot now that I've gone ultralight. My concern is that modern trail shoes (I use the New Balance 1569 in a size 15 6E) are mostly glued together. I hate to think what they will look like after being submerged many times - but maybe it won't matter. I carry a small amount of duct tape for repair.

My thinking still is to leave the crocks at home and just deal with it.

I will see you guys out there, I'm sure!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all the rain we've had this summer, keeping your feet dry will be nearly impossible, fords or no fords.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I hear that. I recently climbed Mt Isolation - the trail in was a river - boots were completely wet. I survived...

Journal Entries

Does it help if you take your socks off first then put your shoes back on while crossing? after crossing put your socks back on unless your socks are already soaked.
    Blackheart

Last time I forded the Wild River in Hastings, NH I did it barefoot. I wished I had something else but didn't think it was worth it for one crossing.

I was wet much of the time from the waist down.

I was just out there last week. We had rain dumped on us! I counted 7 fords as well, all of which my feet were wet. I saw many different approaches but everyone got wet. Parts of the trail looked like a stream. The west branch of the Pleasant River was waste deep on me at it's worst(I'm 5'6"). I brought trail runners and no camp shoes. I hope you're blessed with good weather. I saw a lot of water shoes left at lean-tos for what it's worth. Hope this helps.
    "Stand still. The trees ahead and the bush beside you are not lost."

"waist deep" the water was very clean.lol
    "Stand still. The trees ahead and the bush beside you are not lost."

YC 15: thanks for your reply. I was beginning to think the 100 Mile Wilderness was getting too tame - I'm glad to here it is not!! I am glad there will be some adventure, I'll pack all my stuff in dry sacks and leave the camp shoes at home!!

CF97 > Everything Else.

When I cross a stream.... insoles and socks off, shoes laced tight.
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I will be doing this section in late September this year. Based on my earlier fording experience, your boots/shoes are likely to be wet regardless. However, if the trail is dry then mesh trail runners should dry out in a few hours. If the trail is already wet then think of the ford as quick, cold bath!

I went to breathable trail runners about 4 years ago. Once a "waterproof" boot gets wet, it stays wet for days; plus, my feet sweat and were always hot. Trail runners let any standing water in right away, but over a multi-day hike your footwear will get wet regardless. I do carry 2-3 pairs of hiking socks, but what I find most effective is carrying a handful of light liners. The liners dry much more quickly, and putting liners on under your old wrung-out hiking socks makes your feet "think" that they're dry for awhile. Probably more mental than physical, but it feels nice.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm bringing extra socks and planning to swim.

In my experience I choose to where shoes with light-weight mesh uppers, easy to get wet, easy to get dry.

another unique option: I had a friend who would bring two plastic trash bags with him. every time there was a water crossing he would put the trash bags around his feet and legs, this would keep his shoes dry for anything that was less than mid-thigh deep. never tried this myself, but seemed to work for him.

I'll try that and report back...

Default Hundred Mile Wilderness Water Crossings

I carried Waldies (the original Crocs) on my thru. Great camp shoes and for fording in Maine. I carried a camp towel and used it to dry my feet before putting my Salomon shoes back on. I suggest three pairs of socks (darn tough) while long distance hiking as well as a pair of board shorts (light weight.). Also, remember to unbuckle your straps on your pack while fording as a safety precaution. Happy trails!

Images

Gaiters and 3 pairs of socks, 1 pair kept clean and dry for sleeping alternate the other two - your feet will thank you as they will always be clean although not dry except at night. Always cross with foot protection of some sort, those rocks are sharp and slippery.

Thanks everyone for the responses. As always WB is the best.

Unfortunately my dad suffered a massive heart attack yesterday; he did not survive. He was 72 and not well.

I still want to make this trip - I'll probably delay it by a week.

Good luck and God bless to everyone who is headed out to hike next week. Safe travel and good weather!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++