WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiking with early Parkinsons

Some shaking but I can deal with that. Whats giving me a real problem is balance. It's not being light-headed but it's my inability to maintain my balance with roots and rock etc. Fell and broke 2 fingers in spring and had to get help from Army Rangers once.--Thanks

are you using hiking poles - that should help a lot. I've saved myself 10 times a day with my poles.

I think you answered your own question. If your already having problems with balance to the point you fell down and broke fingers, I'd say you'd want to limit your hiking to level, well groomed trails like in city parks. The AT would be too risky.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremiah j View Post
    Some shaking but I can deal with that. Whats giving me a real problem is balance. It's not being light-headed but it's my inability to maintain my balance with roots and rock etc. Fell and broke 2 fingers in spring and had to get help from Army Rangers once.--Thanks
    All I can say is "don't give up." One of my business partners had Parkinsons. It wasn't easy, but through pure will power he kept doing the things he loved. He eventually died from another cause, but he never let Parkinsons get him down. I wish you many more years of hiking.
    Shutterbug

Images

Do you hike alone? How about finding a hiking partner to help if you fall.
    I second the recommendation of the poles.
    Don't give up your dreams. Good luck to you.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Thanks all, I do use poles and don't plan on quitting. Hiking partner is a good idea.

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

The fatigue that you feel later in the day compounds problems. I have MS and the fatigue caused me to sprain an ankle. I also found it difficult to walk to a distant spring to get water. Good luck with whatever you do.

Journal Entries

My Dad has Parkinson's and he didn't give up anything until he reached the point where he is now in a bed. But until it was absolutely necessary that he reached that point, he didn't give up any of his activities that he always did. I also enjoy hiking and there are other friends of mine with health problems that I have gone hiking with on many occasions. So that brings me to my story. At the time, I lived in Northern California and we were going to my favorite spot, Montgomery Woods in Mendocino County. Not a long trail but one of the most beautiful spots on earth in my opinion. There is one spot at the beginning where it's uphill for a very short distance and I'm talking perhaps 200 feet. My friend has heart issues and breathing issues. I stayed with him as my other friends walked on. At one point he said he couldn't go any further and that he would wait there until I returned. Well, I had been on the trail many time but it's not very often that we had to visit with one another so I stayed with him right there until the others returned. Now, he is a stubborn man and that time wasn't any exception. I told him that if he rested up he could go a little further but he adamantly refused. I told him all it takes is one step further until finally he reaches the grove of redwoods. (I so wanted him to see it's beauty). But...to no avail. He wouldn't budge. So, I'm telling you, that it only takes one step in front of the other. You know your pace and your abilities. You don't have to do the entire trail at once. You can do it in small sections at a time. Sometimes, when folks have a neuro-degenerative disease such as Parkinson's, Peripheral Neuropathy (which I have) etc., the nerves and muscles become fatigued and you have to rest. So sometimes, small steps or sections can be doable. Just a thought. Good Luck on your endeavors and keep us all posted. Those with Parkinson's etc., can be helped with your progress and status.

Most folks fall quite a few times on a thru. Daily in some sections.
    COG 2011

Jeremiah, glad you're thinking about getting into the outdoors. I'd say to do what you can do.

What about trying out a long hike on level terrain to check your endurance and balance? A piece of the C&O Canal in Maryland would work, possibly Harper's Ferry to DC (or the other way to Hancock). I don't know much about the Florida Trail, but perhaps you could use a winter hike there for the same purpose.

Section Hiker

It's great you are remaining committed to doing what you love! I was going to say trekking poles. Finding a hiking companion is another great idea here. Also, be prepared for a fall if it's inevitable--would wrist guards or knee pads be too much? Does your doc have any suggestions? I wish you the best!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

++ New Posts ++