WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ive backpacked in the smokies during winter a few times. Week-long trips usually. I love my Aether, and it has served me well on those outings. My question really was just if I should look at something smaller for the entire through.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Also, I personally couldn't fit my winter gear into my circuit and I would ventire to guess that the majority if hikers couldn't either. The pack is only supposed to handle 30lbs, 35lbs max. The same company makes a larger Catalyst model which you might want to check out.

Again, it is a great pack, just make sure that it can fit all the stuff you plan to carry.
    I am very happy with my Catalyst. With winter gear it provides a more space and support (weight) than the Circuit. I would strongly recommend ULA myself.

I would also think if you can do it, a late March or early April start would be better. One of my students started NOBO in mid-May and he is in Maine now. He just took off and did not have to worry about the snow and freezing rain slowing him down. Also less gear and clothes to carry.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Images

He's starting in mid-February, and will need a larger sleeping bag and more clothing, as well as more food. A 70 liter pack is fine.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by OverTheHills View Post
    I was thinking the 70 would be absurd for a thru. Thanks guys. Anybody have some ideas on packs that would be good? What are some thoughts on the RMW Jensen?
    I bought my Jensen pack from the original folks at Rivendell in 1974. Still have it. Planning to use it when I get back to backpacking. The strongest, most durable, 2.5 pound pack made. True load transfer in a frameless pack. The WM Vistalite will fit the sleeping bag compartment. I already tried at my local WM dealer. Buy the pockets too. They are great for things you need on the trail. The one downside: your sleeping bag MUST pack small. I may buy the Giant Jensen for my winter bag. I still sometimes regret not buying the Giant back when. Search here. I have posted about the Jensen packs before.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    He's starting in mid-February, and will need a larger sleeping bag and more clothing, as well as more food. A 70 liter pack is fine.
    Amen Brother!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Ive backpacked in the smokies during winter a few times. Week-long trips usually. I love my Aether, and it has served me well on those outings. My question really was just if I should look at something smaller for the entire through.
    Given your start date , you could easily need 2 bags and 2 packs. I said before in your sleeping bag thread.
    Good luck.

Wayne

I carried an old Kelty redcloud on my thru. Sometimes it was nice having the big pack, like after I got hungry.
    COG 2011

Size doesn't matter.

What matters is how you use it
    --

Hike Safe.

She told you that?

Images

I realize you're 19, OP, and probably somewhat inexperienced (though not necessarily so), but don't buy into the constantly perpetuated myth that a winter kit needs to be huge and heavy. Of course it will weigh more than a summer one and be larger, but my kit is only 7-8 pounds heavier (17-18 base weight) for the dead of winter and still fits into my 50L pack easily. Plus: mid February is no longer the dead of winter; days are getting longer quickly, more sun, etc. Sure you will have the definite possibility of a winter storm and you have to be ready. You've got plenty of time to educate yourself and get a totally safe and warm system that will easily fit into 50-55 liters.

Right on. I knew winter stuff now wasn't necessarily heavier with new technology. I'm curious about these Rivendell bags. Wayne has yet to let me down on giving some very solid advice. Anyone know roughly how much the Jensen and the Giant Jensen hold in liters?

Right on. I knew winter stuff now wasn't necessarily heavier with new technology. I'm curious about these Rivendell bags. Wayne has yet to let me down on giving some very solid advice. Anyone know roughly how much the Jensen and the Giant Jensen hold in liters?
    Go to the web site. Go to the pack sizing page. Read the chart.
    Or, find my dissertation in a recent (this summer) thread in the Pack forum discussing frameless packs. I provided numerous links.
    The original Jensen, with pockets, is 63 liters. The Giant is larger.
    The pack was designed for climbing. At altitude. In places like Alaska. The pack can get hot. So can my other pack with a fancy mesh and foam panel. Backpacks don't have A/C.

Wayne

My size medium with pockets is 63 liters. Each torso size pack is slightly different. Like most all packs. The pockets are 760 cubic inches. Google can convert those to liters.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne! These things look so exceptional.

One of a kind. They have outlasted countless latest and greatest Widgets.
    What is your torso length?

Wayne

Honestly, not too sure. I wear a 42 Regular suit jacket, and I have the large Osprey Aether, if that helps.

You could choose to get through the Smokies or Mt. Rogers with the pack you have, given your February start. You can be a little warmer (but slower) in the early going with some extra stuff. Then swap into light gear in Hot Springs or Damascus, when you'll no longer have to buy for such cold weather.

You definitely could shave 1 1/2 pounds off the pack itself, even compared to my 7 or 8 year old Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone. The Granite Gear pack has done everything I've asked of it, no troubles except for the occasional whining of an old guy transitioning from an external frame to a top-loading single compartment pack.

Honestly, not too sure. I wear a 42 Regular suit jacket, and I have the large Osprey Aether, if that helps.
    Ok. Should have asked the size of your Aether. You probably saved me from doing something stupid. Like offering to sell you my original Jensen pack.

Wayne

Haha. Shoot Wayne, I will say I have just about made up my mind on getting a Jensen. Just two problems, the WM Versalite does fit in the area for sleeping bags, right? And how should I approach packing it with that middle divider? Just distribute weight as evenly as possible?

Images

i keep weight close to the center of my back. everybody packs different.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++