WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default sleeping aides on the trail

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried using sleep aides such as tynelol PM or Niquil or maybe even prescription sleep aides while on overnight / multiday trips. im usually one to fall asleep around 12 or 1 am after a good dose of tv and on the overnights that ive done thus far i find myself forced to call it a night after sunset ,usually around 8 still wide awake. so i was wondering if anyone has ever tried this or has experienced the same.

Not to mention tossin and turning the rest of the night

Yup, same problem, even after a day of hikin' in heat and dog ass tired. I've tried NyQuil but don't like it. It works great for me... for about 2 or 3 hours, then "Bing"...wide awake. Tylenol PM works better than that, but same side effect...again, for me. Benedryl works ok and the prescription drugs I don't recommend as they can lower ones level of having seizures if prone, and give me a headache the next day and make me feel tired and lethargic. Coarse your miles may vary.

reading usally helps me fall asleep, So I always bring books, even looking at a map helps.

Images

smoke a joint..........

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    smoke a joint..........
    I believe on most trails, that's going to be illegal.

I carry Tylenol PM, but seldom need it.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    but very effective...but I'm not on the bus anymore...alcohol also works for many, but there again that option doesn't work for me.

Journal Entries

I use to tent camp and would go to bed around 9 PM every nite while camping and toss and turn. After making the switch to hammocks, I am asleep right after I get everything adjusted and sleep until nature calls around 3 AM. I am then back to sleep til 5:30-6:00 fully rested. Hammocks Is my Sleeping aide. YMMV HYOH
    Blackheart

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The thing that I've found helps me get to sleep is simple exhaustion.

My typical camping trip in the GSMNP, but I live about 6 hours away. So to save money on a hotel room, I simply wake up about 3:00am. By the time in include a shower, getting out the door, stop for breakfast, etc... I get to the trailhead around 10-11am GSMNP time. Hike 8 to 12 miles (usually including a major up-hill), setup camp, make/eat dinner, and I'm pretty much worn out by the time the sun sets. From there, I simply go on 'sun time' til I return home.

smoke a joint..........
    lol. I would need something that can be transported on a plane. i do agree its very effective tho. I guess i will have to try the "trail and error" method .

Images

I have a lot of trouble falling asleep as well. My method is to keep the fire burning strong while reading until around 11-12 when my eyes start getting droopy. I then begin to wake around sunrise, pull the sleeping bag over my head for another hour then I get up since it's obvious I won't get anymore restful sleep. How much sleep do you need?
    A big day, alcohol, and thc all help but I've found that my old prescription of muscle relaxers for a back injury I had a while back will give me the most uninterrupted sleep. I'll be sad when they're all gone but it's better just to learn to fall asleep without all that stuff. If you're too energetic at night then do some exercise after you get camp set up.

Images

ahhhhhhhhh..........

so is speeding..........but i bet most people on this board drive over the limit to get to the trailhead........

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

ahhhhhhhhh..........

so is speeding..........but i bet most people on this board drive over the limit to get to the trailhead........
    Yes, but you need to review the TOS for White Blazes:
    4. Discussions involving how to commit illegal acts, or involving the use, production and/or distribution of illegal drugs are forbidden.

Perhaps, a hike is a good time to start some new possibly more empowering habits! You may find with some hiking your mind calms naturally producing the chemicals naturally that will help you to fall asleep WITHOUT the need for outside drugs/sleep aids. I find a strong hiking day, calming hot dinner, building/watching a hiker TV(a campfire), clean cool spring water, fresh air, gazing up at the stars, and a respite from sometimes intrusive man made things like sounds(sirens, TV, radio, etc), light, odors, etc) to be quite calming. But, if absolutely must take something, especially in the beginning as you naturally disassociate yourself with the old TV falling asleep routine, consider something like Trader Joe's Calming Sleep Formula with L-Theanine, 5-Http(a precursor to serontonin a natural body produced calming hormone), and melatonin.

Because of my medical condition, I have to take sleep meds. or I don't sleep because of nightmares but, the meds put me out, so much so a bear could walk through my tent and I won't wake up. In the morning I'm a little foggy but a couple cups of French press coffee does the trick. Also, if you can find something with tryptophan(such as in turkey or warm milk) it should help you to sleep. Think about the nap you take after eating a nice plate of a Thanksgiving meal.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Yes, but you need to review the TOS for White Blazes:
    Not illegal n some states...........

Journal Entries

After a few days if your hiking enough miles it will take care of itself. Nothing else needed. Earplugs help.

I find that it's a ramped up metabolism from a day of hiking that keeps me from falling asleep. So I always go to bed when it gets dark, but I just lay on top of my sleeping bag in just my underwear and "meditate" (I suppose that's what you could call it. I don't claim to have any training in meditation). Anyway, I focus on heat leaving my body. It's surprising how long you can lay there without getting cold, even on a chilly night. It one of my favorite times of the day, really. Eventually, I start to get chilled. Then I know my body is shutting down for the night. I pull my quilt over me and then try to go to sleep. At which point, sore joints keep me from getting comfy so I take Aleve.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mtntopper View Post
    Not illegal n some states...........
    Technically it is because it is still a Federal Crime... it'a just not a state crime in some states.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 08-11-2014 at 22:41. Reason: fix typo

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++