WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Journal Entries

Good thing it will likely take me the rest of my life to get as far north as NJ, so not an immediate issue for me. I did look at air horns online. Someone on here once said that a big male was totally unfazed by a marine air horn when confronted on the trail. Can't remember now who said it or where they were on the trail at the time.

However, I if I had to pick my poisons... I'll take a ranger "ticket" or whatever they could possibly throw at me any day versus a chewed up leg, arm or worse. I'm not as afraid of a ranger doing me bodily harm as I am a bear. Fireworks wins.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

In the fly-in remote fishing camps of Ontario the locals often use the small packages of linked strands of firecrackers to scare off black bears when they come into camp. I always just yelled at them and they'd leave, I always equated them to big raccoons in their manners. I've never had to bang pots yet. ....but firecrackers hmm. The black bears have been getting more bold, hmmm.

I carry a marine ACR whistle while in bear territory. Its designed for boater to use in storms and is about as loud as a whistle can get . I would expect its gets the bears attention and is a lot quicker than a cherry bomb.

Unfortunately the bears can get trained inadvertently to ignore almost any deterrent if there is enough reward. There is huge landfill adjacent to the Mahoosucs in NH (other side of the ridge from the AT). They originally banned hunting and when a fresh trash truck came in the bears would chase the truck to get the fresh load when dumped. The landfill responded by bring a loader over to immediately cover the fresh trash. The bears started attacking the loader. After a few close calls they allowed hunting to start again nearby. It took awhile but the number of bear incidents went way down.

Amazing haha

Images

Apparently the death of Pedals is international news...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...h-threats.html

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Apparently the death of Pedals is international news...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...h-threats.html
    That's only true if you consider the Daily Mail to be actual news.

In my experience, when it comes to credibiltiy that tabloid is somewhere between Star and the National Enquirer.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++