WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Glacier NP hike-about #2

Well, one week till I land at the doorstep of GNP for my three-week ‘hike-about’ and I’m psyched. I’ve been a little lazy since I got back from a CT section hike, a few weeks ago, so I’m starting to rev-up my engines for this GNP trip. I posted here a few months ago about this trip and I got a good amount of feed back so I’m just here for any last minute tips, recommendations, and must-know-about’s that you may want to offer.

My itinerary:

Tues (08/12): Fly into Kalispell. Rent car for one day. Get any last minute supplies. Drive to park headquarters, permit office, so I know where it is. Car camp or stay at the hostel in Whitefish.

Wed (08/13): Be at permit office early for a permit. Return car to Airport. Hitch to park entrance. Take the shuttle bus up Going-to-the-Sun rd. to trailhead.

1st Week: Hike in the northern section of the park starting at Going to the Sun road. Then on to Gr. Pk. Chalet, Lk. Sherburne/Many Glacier C.G., Ptarmigan Tunnel, Belly River, Goat Haunt, Canada, then over to Bowman Lk., and out at Polebridge for a burger at the Northern Lights Saloon.

Resupply: head back down to West Glacier. Get resupplied and cleaned-up. Probably take a zero. Return to trailhead via Going-to-the-Sun Shuttle bus.

2nd Week: Hike in the South-East section of the Park. Starting at St. Mary Lk., head to Triple Divide pk. (and summit), Two Medicine C.G., East Glacier (for visit and resupply. Maybe stay at hostel), Then down and out at Marias Pass.

3rd Week: Hike in the Coal-Nyack. Summit Stimson.

Tues (09/02): Be in Kalispell Noon. Fly-out.

Anyway, that’s my basic plan. I have about a half dozen alternate routes depending on the ability to get a permit. I am also looking to change my plans if I can find a lift down to the Bob, Benchmark, to do the Chinese Wall.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

You psyched me up by posting that itinerary. Can you take me? Sounds like a great GNP itinerary.

""Anyway, that’s my basic plan. I have about a half dozen alternate routes depending on the ability to get a permit." There you go. That's the way to get those NP permits.

"I am also looking to change my plans if I can find a lift down to the Bob, Benchmark, to do the Chinese Wall."

You might as well hike the CDT SOBO with a GNP loop thrown in there focusing on experiencing as amny GNP highlights as you can.

I spent 5 days hiking in GNP. I love AT and Georgia Mountains in general, but NOTHING beats GNP.

Look up Iceberg Lake if time permits. http://www.bigskyfishing.com/Nationa...berg-lake.shtm

My facebook picture is me on top of a huge chuck of ice in the middle of the lake. Most epic picture ever.

I will never as long as I live forget that hike but, for the love of god, carry bear spray. . . . like a lot of it. Bears a plenty up there.

We went up the back door way which I only later found out was closed due to bear activity. Be safe, but enjoy!

My hat is off to you. I lived in MT for many years and always wanted to do that. Very adventurous (and risky). Lots of wildlife, and a remote part of the park. Good luck!

3rd Week: Hike in the Coal-Nyack. Summit Stimson.

Been to GNP three times, back county twice.
    Absolutely my favorite NP I have been to. Cannot wait until my children are older and share this jewel.
    Please post pics and journal of your trip here.

Images

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Good luck with the permits. The whole Park is pretty spectacular--don't get discouraged if you the routes you end up hiking aren't the ones you had planned to hike. I hope you enjoy it!
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    I spent 5 days hiking in GNP. I love AT and Georgia Mountains in general, but NOTHING beats GNP.

Look up Iceberg Lake if time permits. http://www.bigskyfishing.com/Nationa...berg-lake.shtm

My facebook picture is me on top of a huge chuck of ice in the middle of the lake. Most epic picture ever.

I will never as long as I live forget that hike but, for the love of god, carry bear spray. . . . like a lot of it. Bears a plenty up there.

We went up the back door way which I only later found out was closed due to bear activity. Be safe, but enjoy!
    The Canadian Rockies at least equal GNP.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Our road trip will take us thru GNP on 8/24 if we stay on schedule.
    Not planning any long hikes but I will have my backpack.
    Your plan has me envious,
    Good luck
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your future plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    The Canadian Rockies at least equal GNP.
    Sorry Venchka, I should have said in my experience. Never been, hopefully one day.

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    Sorry Venchka, I should have said in my experience. Never been, hopefully one day.
    It's all good. Color me Kermit Green. One day I will get to GNP. that way I will have experienced both best places.
    Have fun.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Thanks for posting everyone. Seems like there is not much new insider info to squeeze here, but the positive support is great.

[Posts]

[#2 Dogwood]
    Sure I can take you. As long as you weight 50 lbs.-or-less I can put you in baggage. I should be covering all but about 5.6 miles of the CDT and I’m throwing in the Pacific Northwest Trail, too, over the course of the three weeks.

[#3 A02134]
    I should be passing Iceberg Lake on my way along, to or from, the Ptarmigan tunnel. Maybe I’ll go take a peek. Check: bear spray. I’ve carried it quite a few times before so carry it holstered for quick access. Interestingly enough, the last few times I flew with bear spray, in my pack (checked into baggage), the TSA let it through.

[#4 RockDoc]
    To be honest I didn’t even know about it till I started to plan for this trip 6 months ago. But I’ve heard so much about it I have to go check it out. I’m hoping it will be similar to the Muro Blanco in Kings Canyon. Took me 3 days to travel 5 miles but I will never forget the adventure.

[#5 swisscross]
    Somehow I got my wife to offer me the time to go on vacation, so I didn’t even have to beg for it. She says she can handle our 13 month old. We’ll see. ☺

[#6 Marta]
    Argh. Okay, mom. I already told you I’m going with Billy and Todd. No, I’m not going to speed. Yes, I’m going to wear my seatbelt the entire time and …

Thanks for all the great info in the first ‘hike-about’ postings and here too. And don't worry about those permits. I expect I will get everything I want and more… no matter what permit I get.

[#7 Venchka]
    Yeah, but is there any better place than the JMT?

[#8 blisterbob]
    You’re not headed down to the Bob, are you? Still looking for that ride to Benchmark, or down 287, to Augusta (MO).
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Images

Our plan is to come off US 2 and do the "going to the sun" loop and back to US 2 westbound.
    If we see any backpackers there we will stop and check them out.
    Always glad to help when we can.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your future plans.

++ New Posts ++