WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default DYI Synthetic Vest Made from a M65 Field Jacket Liner Final weight 8.2 oz.

I really wanted a synthetic vest, but I could not justify spending over $120, so I came up with the idea to make one from a m65 field jacket liner. I think it came out great. it cost $10.45 and weighs 8.2 oz. Here is a picture and a video on how I made it.005.jpg

great idea!

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

I did the same thing a few years ago based on instructions (from Sgt. Rock?). Works great, and I'd suggest adding a couple of patch pockets to the front. Good job!

Journal Entries
    Images

Hey SGT Bob... (kidding) Hey I am so with these posts... but the gear is very heavy and who are you hiding from?

If I was backpacking Afghanistan... it would be the best gear for a 20 year old. - And I have pounds of this stuff at home!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Hey SGT Bob... (kidding) Hey I am so with these posts... but the gear is very heavy and who are you hiding from?

If I was backpacking Afghanistan... it would be the best gear for a 20 year old. - And I have pounds of this stuff at home!
    This particular item is very comparable in weight to the high end gear I have. THe vest weighed in at 8.2 oz. a patagonia nano puff vest listed weight is 8.5 oz. I used a nano puff pullover last year until VA. that weighed 11.5 oz. (I hiked from Springer to Conn last year with my daughter who was 13 y/o at the time).I know the vest does not look great, but I wanted one just for my week trip thru the whites and did not want to spend $120 on a vest. I has fun making it and if I only bring it on this one trip, that will be fine.

Journal Entries

Check on Jacks R Better for their down sleeves and add a 2" strip of elastic for a set of pull on sleeves.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by mainebob View Post
    This particular item is very comparable in weight to the high end gear I have. THe vest weighed in at 8.2 oz. a patagonia nano puff vest listed weight is 8.5 oz. I used a nano puff pullover last year until VA. that weighed 11.5 oz. (I hiked from Springer to Conn last year with my daughter who was 13 y/o at the time).I know the vest does not look great, but I wanted one just for my week trip thru the whites and did not want to spend $120 on a vest. I has fun making it and if I only bring it on this one trip, that will be fine.
    It looks great! Wish I had the talent to do something like that.

These liners have been around since the 1970's(?) and were popular for backpackers back in the 1980s when I started using them. See below---

My backpacking buddy Johnny B comes up to my tipi in NC for a visit and brings his friend and takes this pic of me and her standing by the lodge. This would be around 1992? I'm wearing a liner configured with two buttons to keep the thing closed and as can be seen it is a little worn. Liners are not meant to be worn unprotected and so they rip easily when hiking thru brush.

Here's a pic of Little Mitten on the North Fork Citico wilderness trail in 2002 wearing an old pair of my liner bottoms which make a great in-camp warm layer. Liner pants are too short of course and they are meant to be buttoned into heavy army pants and not designed to come down all the way to the pants cuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    These liners have been around since the 1970's(?) and were popular for backpackers back in the 1980s when I started using them. See below---

My backpacking buddy Johnny B comes up to my tipi in NC for a visit and brings his friend and takes this pic of me and her standing by the lodge. This would be around 1992? I'm wearing a liner configured with two buttons to keep the thing closed and as can be seen it is a little worn. Liners are not meant to be worn unprotected and so they rip easily when hiking thru brush.

Here's a pic of Little Mitten on the North Fork Citico wilderness trail in 2002 wearing an old pair of my liner bottoms which make a great in-camp warm layer. Liner pants are too short of course and they are meant to be buttoned into heavy army pants and not designed to come down all the way to the pants cuff.
    cool pics, thanks for sharing

Journal Entries
    Images

Is that the same material as the old jungle poncho liners from the early 70's?

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    Is that the same material as the old jungle poncho liners from the early 70's?
    I think it is just a little thicker.

Journal Entries
    Images

one of my favorite Bible verses!...cutty

++ New Posts ++