WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Best headlamp

Default Best headlamp

I currently own a Princeton Tech Fuel and I like it a lot. Before I bought a second to keep in my day pack I was going to get some opinions and see if anyone had a better option.

Any favorites?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I guess I should add that I like the up and down adjustability on my P.T. and the light output is good. Also never too hard to find triple A batteries

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Images

Zebralight H52. As light as the dinky plastic headlamps at REI, but 300 lumens with a single AA, or 500+ lumens with a lithium ion battery. Since it's a right angle light, it works just as well as a headlamp as it does a flashlight. Even though it's a very bright light, the low settings can be configured to be fantastically low...no worries about blinding anyone with the lowest settings! It is by far my favorite long distance backpacking light.

I really like the Black Diamond Spot. The newest version puts out a peak of 130 Lumenss, has One-touch dimming and seems to have a reasonable battery life. Retail MSRP is $39 but is frequently sale priced at $29. My only complaint is that the red light is pretty useless.

Images

I should have included the headlamps I have in my post.

Zebralight H600mkII
    Zebralight H52
    Armytek Wizard Pro
    Fenix HP10
    And a couple bike lights that can be worn (uncomfortably) on the head

I may also have a Nitecore HC50 on the way, but I don't think that will be better than the first three lights I just listed unless you really want red LEDs. The Zebralights can be dimmed so low that I don't find the night vision benefits of red emitters to be worth it.

Images

I like the Spot, too. It has two different LED beams - a very bright spotlight beam, and a dimmer two-LED light for close work around camp. Both of these can be dimmed easily. Hold the button for 3 seconds and it turns on a red LED for nighttime use - this setting is locked until you hold the button again for 3 seconds to turn on the white light. Hold the button for 6 seconds and it locks so it won't come on in my pack.

The only annoying feature is that it cycles back and forth between the bright spot and the dim work light each time I turn it on -- so I always get the "wrong" light and have to turn it off and back on to get the other one. It would be nice if the light remembered which LED I was using the last time, and used a different method to switch to the other one.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I've got the Petzl Tikka 2 which is pretty nice, but the only advantage it has over my cheapie Wally World special is the red light.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Over the years I've stopped using the word "best" to describe any piece of gear because everyone has different preferences and priorities, also different gear can be better or worse depending on the activity you are doing.

All that said, the black diamond spot is my current favorite for general use when hiking/backpacking.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I concur with Sarcasm, no piece of gear is best for every situation. That said, I keep coming back to Black Diamond products, primarily for the weight/intensity/battery life/feature packages.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I am currently very fond of my PT Vizz. 3-way illumination including red LEDs and regulated for lithium AAA batteries.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Here is a review of 37 different headlamps http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Headlamp-Reviews
    I own a black diamond storm, so far it been great

AT - 2013 PCT - 2014
    Journal Entries

I use a zebra light and love it.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I think the last couple of times I was in the woods with the Elf were also the last couple of times that I wound up night-hiking. (Pure coincidence.) But seeing the performance of his Spot as opposed to my what-have-you from the hardware store (rated for the same number of lumens according to the packaging - lies, damned lies, and statistics!) has made me decide that I want one for myself. REI Outlet has last year's model on closeout at the moment: If you use this week's 25% off one item at the outlet, it looks as if it'll be $22.30 before tax and shipping.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Another Kevin,

Just a heads-up. The previous version of the spot was 90 lumens vs 130 and lacked a few feature the newest version includes. I believe the upgrade was between 2012 and 2013 but I am not entirely sure.

Quote Originally Posted by lzeplin View Post
    Here is a review of 37 different headlamps http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Headlamp-Reviews

Your link is not working, I'm wondering if this is what you wanted to post.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Headla.../buying-advice

Quote Originally Posted by lzeplin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Your link is not working, I'm wondering if this is what you wanted to post.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Headla.../buying-advice
    I see now yours was about reviews, where as mine is general info. I'd be interested to read your link if you wouldn't mind re-posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I think the last couple of times I was in the woods with the Elf were also the last couple of times that I wound up night-hiking. (Pure coincidence.) But seeing the performance of his Spot as opposed to my what-have-you from the hardware store (rated for the same number of lumens according to the packaging - lies, damned lies, and statistics!) has made me decide that I want one for myself. REI Outlet has last year's model on closeout at the moment: If you use this week's 25% off one item at the outlet, it looks as if it'll be $22.30 before tax and shipping.
    They are going fast. I tried to order the Covert Green and they were sold out. They appear to have some of the Lime Green left.
    --

Hike Safe.

BD Spot for me as well. I Loved my Fuel, but the plastic latch on the battery cover has broken on three of them.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++